Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:25:09 PM EDT
I should know this.  Title says it all.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe its 1/2 X 28.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
1/2" diameter, 28 TPI  RH for a 5.56mm barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it usually the same thing for a 9MM AR barrel?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it usually the same thing for a 9MM AR barrel?

No. Some have used 1/2x28, but another thread is more common, on all 9mm Colts and RRAs. Something by 36, I think. Can't remember exactly what the diameter was.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
since I'm too lazy to pull my A2, does 5/8" length of threaded portion sound right?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.    
.630"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
So, if I'm to understand this, an AAC pilot would screw right onto a standard AR barrel, and with a .22lr conversion should work fine, assuming the thread alignment is correct.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, if I'm to understand this, an AAC pilot would screw right onto a standard AR barrel, and with a .22lr conversion should work fine, assuming the thread alignment is correct.

Yes, just make sure you take the suppressor off before you switch back to .223.

Oh yeah, there might be a stabilization issue with shooting .22lr through the fast twist of your AR barrel, which could cause baffle strikes. I forget where I read that. You might want to ask in the "Full Auto" section. I think dedicated .22's are like 1/16 twist.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, just make sure you take the suppressor off before you switch back to .223.

Oh yeah, there might be a stabilization issue with shooting .22lr through the fast twist of your AR barrel, which could cause baffle strikes. I forget where I read that. You might want to ask in the "Full Auto" section. I think dedicated .22's are like 1/16 twist.

Yeah, maybe short light bullets like stingers might come out of the bore about like I throw a football, but Aguila SSS runs pretty well through my Ciener unit, they require a faster twist (my barrel is 1/9"), and they're subsonic.  Dirty though.  Another concern is the short brass has the breech open earlier than a longer case (blowback), therefore noise at the breech may be increased, especially with the can on the muzzle (maybe too early?)  

I seem to have highjacked my own thread, maybe this needs moved to one of the NFA rooms?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top