Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 1:53:07 PM EDT
Can someone ballpark it since i honestly have no idea?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you ship it to ADCO, I believe they'll do it for $65, but then you'll also need to permanently attach an A2 flash hider, which is an extra $25 charge (unless you can do it yourself, with silver solder or pin/weld, or whatever the approved technique is).

(Of course, I'm assuming this isn't an SBR we're talking about.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah alright thats not too bad.

Is this something that could be done locally with any gun smith? or is this pretty specialized?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd need a gunsmith with a machine shop, not just a plain old gunsmith.  Those are not the easiest to find, but they would need to know what they're doing on top of having the machine shop.

Cutting the barrel down requires a new shoulder, new crown and new threads to be cut also.  Then, assuming you want an A2 permanently attached, they have to drill and pin and weld up the hole.  Remember too, once that flash hider is on permanently, it will be impossible to add or remove parts like a FSB or gas block, handguard retaining ring, barrel nut, delta ring, etc, so you need to make those decisions ahead of time and stick with them.  Make sure too that whoever installs the flash hider has those parts, is aware of what you want and remembers to install them BEFORE the flash hider installation.

You may be better of financially by selling the existing barrel and buying a 14.7" unit from CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You'd need a gunsmith with a machine shop, not just a plain old gunsmith.  Those are not the easiest to find, but they would need to know what they're doing on top of having the machine shop.

Cutting the barrel down requires a new shoulder, new crown and new threads to be cut also.  Then, assuming you want an A2 permanently attached, they have to drill and pin and weld up the hole.  Remember too, once that flash hider is on permanently, it will be impossible to add or remove parts like a FSB or gas block, handguard retaining ring, barrel nut, delta ring, etc, so you need to make those decisions ahead of time and stick with them.  Make sure too that whoever installs the flash hider has those parts, is aware of what you want and remembers to install them BEFORE the flash hider installation.

Not to argue, but ADCO have been doing this stuff for years, and can be said to specialize in it.  They definitely know what they are doing.

You may be better of financially by selling the existing barrel and buying a 14.7" unit from CMMG.

Always an option, and CMMG make awesome stuff.  A great outfit that I highly recommend.

However, ADCO can do what John210 wants for about $90.

Buying a new 14.7 barrel with permanent A2 flash hider and FSB is almost $300, and then still needs to be installed in the upper - which requires the specialized tools, or will involve more cost to have someone assemble, for a total likely to be more than $350 (minus whatever he can sell his old barrel for, of course - maybe around $100).

But yeah, getting a new 14.7" barrel is definitely another way to go, and should be considered as an option.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
ADCO is the way to go.

ETA: Is the 1.3'' really that harmful that it needs to be elminated?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Why? To have a gun that is 1.3 inches shorter?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why? To have a gun that is 1.3 inches shorter?

beat you by 10 seceonds!

ETA: my math was wrong, good work Combat Jack.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks 1.3 times cooler. That's why I ordered a 14.7" from CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
More that its worth.
$65 to cut/thread + $25 to pin the FH on, + your cost to ship.

Spend the money on practice ammo.

It is rare to see a businessman with the integrity to tell people that they do not need his services.

My hat is off to you, sir!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My smith will do it for $25 as long as you have the barrel off,  if he has to remove its $45

thats cut/thread  not including perma attaching.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top