Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:40:25 PM EDT
I've got a couple of new ARs, they're safe queens.  I shoot them plenty, but I'm afraid to abuse them.  They still look new.  It disturbs me.

At work all of our ARs and M4s have very high mileage.  They're well worn, metal shining through on spots, dinged buttstocks, forend grips rubbed smooth... They see 18-20 hours a day in the field and it shows.  They fit together "loosely" -- not loose like they're clacking around, but not tight like a NIB factory build either.  They're just well broken in.  Me likes.  A lot.

A friend of mine has a very old Colt that his father passed on to him; same thing -- well worn, high miles, a true field rifle.  He straps it to the front of his ATV and blazes around the desert hunting coyotes.

I can't seem to find anyone selling an AR that's been well used.  I checked the EE and everything on there is new, lightly used, still looks purdy.  I'd like to buy something that's not purdy anymore, something that I can strap to my back and run through the desert and catch the rifle on mesquite trees and not have to worry about it.  No more safe queens for me for the moment.

Gun shows maybe?  Anyone have any ideas where to get a well broken-in rifle?  Something with some character and charm...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
ummm... just take your queens out for a ride!!

all those beaters were brand new at one point, too...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Would love to find some beater Colt SP1, 6551, 6601, 6520, and early 6721 rifles just to use the lower halves with used USGI uppers.  Have not had any luck.

Here is an example, this one could really use a beater lower:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got a couple of new ARs, they're safe queens.  I shoot them plenty, but I'm afraid to abuse them.  They still look new.  It disturbs me.

At work all of our ARs and M4s have very high mileage.  They're well worn, metal shining through on spots, dinged buttstocks, forend grips rubbed smooth... They see 18-20 hours a day in the field and it shows.  They fit together "loosely" -- not loose like they're clacking around, but not tight like a NIB factory build either.  They're just well broken in.  Me likes.  A lot.

A friend of mine has a very old Colt that his father passed on to him; same thing -- well worn, high miles, a true field rifle.  He straps it to the front of his ATV and blazes around the desert hunting coyotes.

I can't seem to find anyone selling an AR that's been well used.  I checked the EE and everything on there is new, lightly used, still looks purdy.  I'd like to buy something that's not purdy anymore, something that I can strap to my back and run through the desert and catch the rifle on mesquite trees and not have to worry about it.  No more safe queens for me for the moment.

Gun shows maybe?  Anyone have any ideas where to get a well broken-in rifle?  Something with some character and charm...

Beat it  up a bit yourself.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top