Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 1:18:40 PM EDT
I was looking at ar lowers on gunbroker and noticed some of the listings stated that they would not ship to maryland because it wasn't allowed...  I did a search and found this bill maryland assault weapons ban of 2006 According to the NRA-ILA this bill will be heard by the house judiciary committee tomorrow!  It list a number for us to call our delegate and voice our opinion.  I'm calling!

It still don't understand why some dealers are not currently shipping to maryland....did I miss something?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
MD law curently bans AR and other "Assault Pistols"  except for those grandfathered before June 1 1994.    All other pistols and AK and AR rifles among others are "Regulated" firearms.    There is a 7 day waiting period for "Regulated" firearms.    Although dealers can currently bring regulated firearms into the state from other dealers, out of state dealers may be extra cautious.   It currently IS allowed though.   They are full of crap if they say that it isn't allowed to ship to a FFL in MD.    MD code 5-137 says it is if shipped to a dealer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
MD law curently bans AR and other "Assault Pistols"  except for those grandfathered before June 1 1994.    .

No MD doesn't ban 'AR Pistols'.  The banned "Assault Pistols" are listed by name there is not an AR among them (and before anyone says Bushmaster Pistol - it's the Bushmaster ARM Pistol - something they haven't manufactured in a decade).

The AR & AK pistols are not allowed to be sold for the following reasons:
1) They are not on the Approved Handgun Roster list.  If it's not on the list, and if it was manufactured after the List went into law then it can't be sold - period.

2) They don't come with shell casings for the State Police.  While that can be overcome it's a PITA and you still have problem #1.

3) They don't have an integrated locking device.  Again this might be something that could be overcome - but you still have to deal with #1.

IF you could find a pre Handgun Roster AR pistol there is no legal reason why you could not own it.  Now finding a dealer to handle the transfer is another matter entirely.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
they make an approved aftermarket integral locking system that can be used for any firearm
in MD.  

It is a rod that goes through the barrel and locks into a chambered dummy round

Frank
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Marylands gun laws are so screwy that many of the Virginia dealers will not have anything to do with them. Maryland is the east coasts California. I feel sorry for the gun owners there. I was at a dealer table at a large VA gun show last month filling out paperwork for a Swiss K-31. There was a guy wanting to buy a AK next to me. He was turned away by the dealer because he was from Maryland. I asked the dealer why he did that to him ('cause it kind of pissed me off) and he said it is not worth selling a AK to a Marylander because  their laws are confusing and he was just not going to take a chance. He said he would sell shotguns, .22s, surplus bolt guns, and reg. hunting rifles to them but not AKs, ARs, FALs and the like. I've dealt with this dealer for years and have never seen him so serious when he talked of this. He said that he's lost a lot of sales oppertunitys due to Marylands gun laws. He said he knows that he could probly sell the AK to the guy but Maryland has a reputation of litigating against the dealer who sold the "assault weapon" if it was used in a crime and that he would rather just avoid problems because the assault weapon laws are not that clear on out of state sales. He is just being overly cautious more than likley.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Maryland's gun laws are a disgrace.  One of the best things I ever did is move from Maryland to Florida.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maryland's gun laws are a disgrace.  One of the best things I ever did is move from Maryland to Florida.

One of the best things I ever did is move from Maryland to Arizona !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the best things I ever did is move from Maryland to Arizona !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of the best things I ever did was leave NY and not move to Marylandfornia
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is a rod that goes through the barrel and locks into a chambered dummy round

I've yet to see one with a rod that will handle a 9-11" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate this state.
A tiny liberal population that manages to ruin things for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Any update on what all went down at the meeting?

Sucks that us in Western Maryland are suffering from the Liberal's downstate. Fuck this state.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
MD law curently bans AR and other "Assault Pistols"  except for those grandfathered before June 1 1994.

So it is illegal to currently own an AR in Maryland?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hate this state.

+1.  If you lose Montgomery, Prince George's, and Baltimore Counties, MD is rather conservative.  There is always some dumn f from one of those places mucking up the works in the legislature.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate this state.

So I guess you know how the Californians feel.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an AR & AK & shoot cases of ammo monthly.  RO asked me yesterday if I do anything else? Yes, stay away MD is a terrible state.

ETA: I've already called & emailed my Delegate to voice my opposition to the bill.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hate this state.

Your little location thingy says you're in Pa.    Hell, I moved from Md to Pa almost 20 years ago. I can't imagine giving that govt my tax money now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nope.  HBAR's are take-home-same-day as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate this state.

Your little location thingy says you're in Pa.    Hell, I moved from Md to Pa almost 20 years ago. I can't imagine giving that govt my tax money now.

I'm in PA for college, but because I live on campus, I don't have any utility bills to prove residency, so I can't buy any fun guns up here.
That changes next year though.

As soon as I graduate, I'm out of MD.
Not only does it have horrible gun laws, the taxes are insane.
Guess the two go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  HBAR's are take-home-same-day as a matter of fact.

My 20" Bushy had a 10-day wait with it..........
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate this state.

I'm in PA for college, but because I live on campus, I don't have any utility bills to prove residency, so I can't buy any fun guns up here.
That changes next year though.

As soon as I graduate, I'm out of MD.
Not only does it have horrible gun laws, the taxes are insane.
Guess the two go hand in hand.

Ahhh.  Makes perfect sense now. I live in Pa and work in Md.  I get Md's higher pay and Pa's lower cost of living.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My 20" Bushy had a 10-day wait with it..........

Then either it wasn't an HBAR or you have an idiot for a dealer.

Most likely the latter, because even if he considered it a regulated weapon it's only a 7 day wait, you can pick your firearm up on the 8th day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any update on what all went down at the meeting?

Sucks that us in Western Maryland are suffering from the Liberal's downstate. Fuck this state.

Hey, we'll take Western Marland as part of PA...tell the poobahs in Balmr and Annapolis to go to hell, and join us.  The only thing we'd want from tidewater is shellfish.
Moon
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the best things I ever did is move from Gaithersburg Maryland to Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got transferred to Pittsburgh two weeks ago. I feel a lot more free than I did back in MD.

Soon I will be moving back to the DC area, living in Northern VA.  Bye-bye, MD residency! Hello CCW and lower taxes!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
...... Bye-bye, MD residency! Hello CCW and lower taxes!

Dude...

CCW yes...but, taxes are going up around here pretty fast. A new (or increased) gasoline tax, property taxes are escalating (the assessesd values are skyrocketing and the local gov'ts are not reducing the rates to compensate), AND, if you move to Loudoun, the county board recently voted to increase car-tax revenues by recouping from residents the amount that the state does not refund to the county.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Couple months ago I got my 20" a2 bushmaster from my dealer just fine. It was an HBAR and I took it home the same day. Pretty happy seeing that I was 19 at the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top