Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 3:25:56 AM EDT
I've got it in my head to get one of these- the ones that are the same size as the brass for the gun.
I think they'd be really handy when I'm switching optics between rifles.

Any advice?   Prices seem to range from $50-$90 depending on the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Ed, I have a laser bore sighter. I will not mention what brand anymore as it is not "relevant".

My main problem with these gadgets are that they are very difficult to see in broad daylight! Imagine looking for a small red dot at ranges of 50 yards OR OVER,  in very bright surrounding! Nearly impossible and quite frustrating.

I have since tossed my boresighter in my tool box and opted to do it (sight in) by using just my "eyeballs". You know, taking the upper and setting it down and looking at the target through the barrel and adjusting your sights from there.... that will get you on paper and you will only need minimal adjustment from there.

Just something you should keep in mind when deciding if you want to continue to get one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My advice, after purchasing a complete set of laser and sleeves........use your eyeballs and a piece of paper at 25, 50, then 100yds to sight in.  It's easier, faster, cheaper, and works better.  I sold my laser thingy for what I paid for it, luckily.

I had a very nice 223 Remmy 700 fully sighted in that I was very happy with.  I put the 223 laser in, and at 100yds it was off severly.  I could rotate the cartridge in the chamber and the POI would change.  That was the last straw for me, and others have reported similar experiences.

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have rarely not been on target at 25 yards with any scope I have mounted. I then fire one shot and if I am using a scope with the target type turrets ( with the others it can take two people).
I resight the gun like I fired it at center bulls eye. Without moving the gun turn the adjustment screws until you align with the bullet. That should get you pretty close unless you are a terrible shot.
If I am using an AR I will then drop the sight adjustment several inches at 25 yards as I have found with guns that are sighted with high mounts like AR 15's that If its dead on at 25 it wll be almost off the target at 100 (high).
This is my 1 shot zero method I learned years ago.
I will then fire a a 3 to 5 shot group at 100 and fine tune the adjustments.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My advice, after purchasing a complete set of laser and sleeves........use your eyeballs and a piece of paper at 25, 50, then 100yds to sight in.  It's easier, faster, cheaper, and works better.  I sold my laser thingy for what I paid for it, luckily.

I had a very nice 223 Remmy 700 fully sighted in that I was very happy with.  I put the 223 laser in, and at 100yds it was off severly.  I could rotate the cartridge in the chamber and the POI would change.  That was the last straw for me, and others have reported similar experiences.

Tom  

DAG NABBIT! THAT IS WHAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED TOO!!!

I just did not mention it since i thought that i may just have a faulty "unit".
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Whew...I was thinking of buying a "top end" one of these.....

won't be doing that any time soon!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all.  I figured I'd read more positive responses.  Will probably hold off on ordering one of these.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, OK, OK! First of all, the only purpose for the bore sight is to get you "On Paper". You can do that at 50yards with the laser, then move to either 100 yards or 200 yards to do your scope zero. I boresited my rifles at 50 yards then tuned both my iron sites and scope at 100 yards. I can now shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with my AR (ok, I'm old and my eyes are bad :P ) and shoot clover leafs with a scope. Don't expect the bore sighter to get you dead nuts on, it's only to get you close! Then you fine tune your sites.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK, OK, OK! First of all, the only purpose for the bore sight is to get you "On Paper". You can do that at 50yards with the laser, then move to either 100 yards or 200 yards to do your scope zero. ..........Don't expect the bore sighter to get you dead nuts on, it's only to get you close! Then you fine tune your sites.

OK, my $3,200.00 P dog Remmy with a $1,200.00 Leupold was off by over 3 feet at 100yds, which put it on the target next to mine!  On a 24 inch target at 50 yds, that's still off of the paper by 6 inches when shooting at the CENTER of it!  Or barely on the paper of that same target at 25.  And that was with a PREMIUM laser kit that RAN DOWN THE BORE OF THE RIFLE!!  Many others have had similar problems.  Most people can do better than that with the naked Mk1 Mod 0 human eyeball with no extra expense, especially when you're gonna shoot it anyway, what has a pain in the ass laser and adapters bought you except wasted money on ammo that you'd rather shoot anyway?  

But hey, if we all liked the same things then the lines would be long and life would be boring!

When I worked at a gun shop and helped the gunsmith 'bore sight' scopes and irons for customers, it was cheaper and faster to just shoot a few rounds at 25, then move to 50, then 100.  Got to the point that we could do it in as little as 12 rounds, then let the customer tune it to the exact POI that they wanted.  Unless you're sighting in dozens of rifles, that's a pretty good economic argument to just go with the traditional 'sight through the bore and shoot it' method.

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't waste your money, the good ole redneck method works better.
  Remove bolt, rest upper on sandbags or such, so that you can sight through the bore at a target. I usually do this at 100yds.
  While holding on target, adjust scope to match point of aim.
I've never been more than 4-5" off target using this method, usually less than 3".

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#10]
i must be the lucky one.  mine worked fine.  i forget the brand but its the one that comes in .223 and you can buy different sleeves for.  i did have to use it at dusk to be able to see the dot well enough.  mind you it says on the package it will get you within 2 inches at 25 yards.  its does not claim to be supremely accurate.  i was within 2" at 25 yards just as advertised.  the problem i had was using it at 25 yards, its good for windage adjustment, but lousy for vertical adjustment.  if you use one, just use it for windage.  according to the laser, i had to run my front sight post nearly all the way down.  when i got to the range, i had to run it back up to where it was when i got it.  this was with flip down BUIS on a picatinny gas block.   its also helpful to get your gas block straight.  i centered the sights, but left the set screws on the gas block a little loose and rotated the block to match the laser.  in actual shooting, i was 1 mark off (6 clicks i think) with the Troy flip down rear.  they have their uses but aren't the perfect solution.  

Bobby
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top