Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 1:18:51 AM EDT
Who has done this?  Was it worth it?  Any tips?

Could I use a dremel instead of a hacksaw?

Does the rear sight get in the way of the dot when using an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I cut mine and I used a Dremel for the entire thing.  It was really easy and I just used aluminum black to coat it.  It looks like it came that way from the factory.  I'll get some pictures up sometime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
i have done two.  on with the dremel and one with a sawsall.  i think the saw did the better job.  i locked the sight in an old vice and used the vice as a guide to make the cut.  then i filed ti down and rounded the edges.  they do look like they came from the factory.

only other  thing i would do is replace the clumsy looking factory knob with a nut from the hardware store.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
i used a cutting wheel and die grinder to smmothen it out then moly resin it
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
From Forest; CCH
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Do I really have to coat the cut areas with aluminum black?  Will a touch up pen work fine?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I cut mine using a hacksaw. Dremel will be fine as long as you have a large cutting wheel and it will be a lot easier. I did it simply cause I had one laying around.

With EOtech the sight never bothers me, Aimpoint should be simliar.

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/9018/cch2oe.jpg
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
It should be fine with a dot scope as it is as high as a BUIS which I have and it works like a champ wit my Aimpoint.
There were some picts awhile back of some done on A2's in Iraq or Afganastain.

Good Luck
Bill
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I did mine w/ a hacksaw, did rough clean up on a grinding wheel then used a dremel to smooth out the edges for final finish.  I could have done the whole thing w/ a dremel, but it would have taken a little longer.

I originally used a sharpie for touch-up work, and re-marked it every few months when the "finish" started to rub off.  That worked fine for a few years.  I finally bought some aluminum black for another project, so I went ahead and and refinished the CCH with that.

I don't even notice the irons through my Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
A little O/T

I would like to try a CCH, but I only have two Colt CH so I don't want to cut them as they are more valuable un-cut.  So I am thinking about buying a couple off of CDNN

CDNN CH Link

Why are these so cheap?  Are they decent quality?  Anyone purchased one?

Also does anyone have the front half of the CCH that they want to send my way???
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a hacksaw, evened it on a grinder, then smoothed up with a dremel. Touched it up with Birchwood Casey, black touch up. Looks great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I did the same, but on an aluminum Carry handle from an airsoft gun; did the whole surgery (cut, grind, smooth) with a Dremel and several coats of flat black paint. Worked great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Heres a small little tid bit on my ventures into cutting the carry handle:

Clicky
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I just did it.  Looks great now.  All I used was a touch-up pen to "refinish" it.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Chop saw, followed by smoothing up and rounding with a dremel.  I've done several that way and they turn out great, you just need to make sure the vise is tight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's worth it.  You can use a hacksaw or a dremel with a cutting wheel.  Use the dremel and files to do the finish work.  Color the exposed aluminum with a sharpy marker or Birchwood Caseys Aluma Black (at fine gun stores everywhere).

If you have the spacer for the Aimpoint mount you'll co-witness just fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have the front half they are willing to send me???

I am trying to make a brass catcher and the front mount from the chopped carry handle would be nice!!!  I am willing to paypal some cash to help offset shipping and your troubles.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I used a hacksaw and finished up with a dremel and a file, sprayed it OD to mathch furniture.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Hacksaw, file, sandpaper, alumablack=LMT BUIS clone!  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top