Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:26:55 PM EDT
Hey guys!

I finally had the opportunity to take the guys from my "Growth Group" out shooting this weekend.  My church's adult bible fellowship classes are divided again into smaller groups that meet a couple times a month outside the church building, and when we meet at my house, they all enjoy a tour of the gun room!  A couple of the guys have Glock pistols, but none of them have an AR-15.  After a few months of them "hinting" how fun it would be to go shooting, we finally had the opportunity to do a formal classroom gun safety class.  Then the next day, we all went out to a friend's land and set up a range.  

I brought my Bushmaster 20" A2 rifle (with the Ciener .22lr conversion kit installed) and my CMMG MOD4 carbine.  One guy had never shot a gun before (I don't even think he'd ever HELD a gun before), a couple hadn't shot a gun in a long time, one had served in the US Army and fired an M16A2 back in the day, and a couple had familiarity with their Glocks and bolt-action rifles, but that's it.  

We shot at tin cans, a wood board w/ targets taped up, and a spinner target system for the .22lr rifles (the A2 conversion and one of the guy's Feather AT-22.)

Here are some pics:

Me with my CMMG MOD4

Charging the carbine:

Old school Army grunt reunited at last!

Me shoot'n the Feather.  I LOVE that gun!

Shooting the conversion

The group

We all had a great time, and I overheard several of the guys saying how they just "had to get an AR!"

The disease is spreading...  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You will not be popular with the wives. Sounds like you had a great time, keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job with some new "Converts"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You will not be popular with the wives. Sounds like you had a great time, keep up the good work.

I actually had a couple wives complaining that THEY didn't get to come!  We are planning a second trip with the wives.  After the "social" the other night, the ladies were overheard talking about who had a CHL and who all wanted to get one.  

I love my wife!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you guys had a great time. Are they going to become members anytime soon?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, but Church groups and guns sound like a BAD idea.  Reminds me of Waco, TX.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry, but Church groups and guns sound like a BAD idea.  Reminds me of Waco, TX.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Riiiiiighht...  And what law should we pass to prevent Christians from owning firearms?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What kind of statement is that?

So now people who go to church should not own guns or go shooting with friends from church. Give me a break.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

that comment has to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.  do you have downsydrome or something?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that comment has to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.  do you have downsydrome or something?

I agree. ETA- With AROkie.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Honestly, where the f*** are these people coming from lately.

jwise, glad you guys had a good time!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Good on you jwise

We need many more like you

and

Quoted:
Sorry, but Church groups and guns sound like a BAD idea. Reminds me of Waco, TX.

GM
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I hope you get the ladies involved, that would be cool.  I would shoot with friends from church any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm planning on taking my church group out sometime in the future......The great thing about churches are most of em are filled with gun nuts ( least mine is:)

Everyone needs to be taught proper firearm saftey , including christians , so why not go for it ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My pastor is an avid hunter and so is the majority of the male congregation. I have been trying to set up some sort of local Christian Shooting Foundation and getting other churches involved. I think it would be a great ministry to get involved with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Jwise- Looks like an awesome time was had. Good job!

hardwarz- How in the world do you get "Church group", and "Raving fucking lunatic cult" confused?

Turn off the computer and read a book.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My pastor is an avid hunter and so is the majority of the male congregation. I have been trying to set up some sort of local Christian Shooting Foundation and getting other churches involved. I think it would be a great ministry to get involved with.

I am hoping to get them a little more involved, and perhaps talking the land owner into allowing us to set up some semi-permanent target holders ala IDPA style.  Then we could make a regular thing out of it, and once they get their skills up a bit with both handguns and rifles, we could start attending IDPA shoots together.  As it is, only one of my friends has the skills/confidence necessary to attend an IDPA shoot.

I've found that formal ranges scare newbies, and I'm hoping to target the newbies, not the active shooters.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]
perfect time for......

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like fun. Good job on teaching to saftey and getting new ones interested in guns.

My Pastor is also a big hunter, and loves guns.  I think it's a great thing man, keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Shooting with the church group sounds like an awesome idea!  Might have to propose that
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Good for you guys, up the caliber and round count for the next trip!!

Our men's group is into this type of stuff. We've already done a day long skeet shoot with pistol/rifle shoots on the agenda. Paintball is also on the horizon along with Class  V whitewater. Just because we go to church doesn't mean we have to sit around all the time in pious inactivity or play softball.

BTW- our last meeting showed clips of Saving Private Ryan as illustrations of spiritual warfare. An upcoming one uses a clip from We Were Soldiers, namely the Broken Arrow sequence. The point being that the most dangerous man on the modern battlefield is a guy with a radio. The clip is to illustrate that if you're not engaged in a prayer life, you're not an effective spiritual warrior. I love hanging out with these guys, no Casper Milquetoasts in our group.

Waco comments ignored.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

what exactly is your malfunction dipshit?

ETR: removed additional cursing
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Thats sweet man,  I'm still trying to get my group out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like fun man.  Great pics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Glad you guys had fun!!!

Post pics of the wives when you get some

I tried getting my wife to come shooting with me but she did seem interested.  I bought her a nice little pistol after we took the CCW course and obtained our permit.  I am still waiting on her to shoot that pistol!!!  I guess some like to shoot and some don't.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow. Looks like you guys had fun. Nice Feather. That the AT-9?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's the AT-22.  I remember back in High School DROOLING over that rifle!  I wanted one SO bad.  My dad was going to buy me a firearm for graduation, but I chose the Winchester 94 Trapper in .44mag over the Feather.  It was the 100 years anniversary edition (1894-1994), and I thought it made a better "gift" firearm than the Feather.  They later went out of business, and now they are very rare and the mags are even more scarce.  Oh well, I guess I made the right choice...

It was fun to get to shoot it.  It took a little oil to get it running smoothly, as its owner doesn't maintain his firearms as some of us do.

I was excited to see the guys with the Glocks (19 and 30) had Fobus holsters for them, and wore them comfortably.  I hope to get their confidence level up with presenting from the holster and get them involved in IDPA.

We also shot a little from one of my AKs, but we got a broken case stuck in the chamber right from the start, so it got shelved.  I have broken shell extractors on order from Tapco for both the 7.62X39 and 5.56.  Live and learn...

You should have seen the land!  It was an old sand/gravel quarry, so it had ditches all over the place (most were filled somewhat with water.)  There was a great spot with a ditch in the shape of an "L" about 20ft deep.  Each leg of the "L" was about 50yds.  I hope to clear out the bottom-land and make it into two ranges.  We can set up each side with a different course, and have two shooters going at a time!  

Lots of possibilities here...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously. Christians with guns secured your freedom to bash them, remember that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sounds like your IQ is about = to your number of posts. Waco had NOTHING to do with churches and guns. It had to do with an out of control BATFE investigating alledged conversions of semi-auto firearms to full-auto, something that has never, ever been proven by any evidence. Furthermore, the original investigation was initiated based on alledged child molestation charges, something the BATFE had no f**king business or authority investigating.

What Waco all came down to was that the real zealots (the BATFE) initiated an action that resulted in the deaths of 80+ people over an issue that would have been avoided by the payment of a $500-600 manufacturing license, if there had actually been any "conversions" made.

If ALL churches had a gun friendly attitude and a group of active shooters, how many churches do you think would EVER be attacked, much less investigated, by ANY federal agency, much less the BATFE?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I shoot wit "church friends" all the time.  At least 3 of them have bought ARs after shooting mine.  One of them is now an ARFCOM regular and serious BRD aflictee like myself.  

I'm 'working' on two more guys from my current church.  They're both shooters already, but haven't fully bit the BRD bug -- but I'm sure it won't be long until their SKS's and Mini-14's just don't cut the mustard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the AT-22.  I remember back in High School DROOLING over that rifle!  I wanted one SO bad.  My dad was going to buy me a firearm for graduation, but I chose the Winchester 94 Trapper in .44mag over the Feather.  It was the 100 years anniversary edition (1894-1994), and I thought it made a better "gift" firearm than the Feather.  They later went out of business, and now they are very rare and the mags are even more scarce.  Oh well, I guess I made the right choice...

It was fun to get to shoot it.  It took a little oil to get it running smoothly, as its owner doesn't maintain his firearms as some of us do.

Just as cool! How was accuracy? After the oiling were there any problems? Im considering one but they are pretty costly and I have heard some things about quality. Id get a 9mm one too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What a dipshit.

BOT, looks like a fun afternoon. I wish the guys at my church were up for something like that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]
We also shot a little from one of my AKs, but we got a broken case stuck in the chamber right from the start, so it got shelved. I have broken shell extractors on order from Tapco for both the 7.62X39 and 5.56. Live and learn...

Live and learn some more.  You've got a cleaning rod under the barrel there.  Unless this is a weird parallel universe with different rules, drop that sucker down the muzzle and tap it with a magazine.  That'll get the case out.  Broken shell extractors are for when you have a case head separation (was that what happened?).  If the rim was just torn, tap it out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, Liberals invading our Christian gun forum
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Am I reading this corectly? You live in Tx and there are guys that have never held/shot a gun?

J/K
Sounds like you are doing good and haveing fun at the same time!!

Remember-this is the internet,We have to remember that a certain % of what shows up in any post is best ignored.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Are you sure the ATF won't burn down your house and call you a "cultist"?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We also shot a little from one of my AKs, but we got a broken case stuck in the chamber right from the start, so it got shelved. I have broken shell extractors on order from Tapco for both the 7.62X39 and 5.56. Live and learn...

Live and learn some more.  You've got a cleaning rod under the barrel there.  Unless this is a weird parallel universe with different rules, drop that sucker down the muzzle and tap it with a magazine.  That'll get the case out.  Broken shell extractors are for when you have a case head separation (was that what happened?).  If the rim was just torn, tap it out.

Don't tap it with the mag! I tried that and my mag was dented to hell! I had to get a new one. (Well, actually it was an excuse to get five)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think it was King George or General Cornwallis said the same exact thing back in the 1770s...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Good going

My Pastor back home wants to go shooting sometime this summer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You mean that you had multiple ARs and your AK stopped working!?!?!?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

It was a broken case.  The rim ripped right off.  I posted a thread about it in the AK technical forum.  I didn't go into detail on that post, but you can read about exactly what happened in that thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=83692
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Am I reading this corectly? You live in Tx and there are guys that have never held/shot a gun?

J/K
Sounds like you are doing good and haveing fun at the same time!!

Remember-this is the internet,We have to remember that a certain % of what shows up in any post is best ignored.

Ha!  Actually, the one who had never held a gun before was from Ohio, and had just moved to Texas recently for grad school!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Good going with the shoot.  Get the wives involved.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean that you had multiple ARs and your AK stopped working!?!?!?

That's EXACTLY what happened!  Of course, I don't know why the first empty case got stuck.  It could be the cheap Wolf ammo.  It sticks in my ARs sometimes, too!  That's why I always bring a cleaning rod with me.  

Admittedly, the AR with the .22lr conversion kit jammed quite a bit (stovepipes/FTE), but it only took a second to clear them.  I did all the malfunction drills for the others at first, but the .22lr was jamming so often, some of the guys learned to clear their own.  

The Feather was not very accurate, but it was a heck of a lot of fun!  I don't have any experience with the 9mm AT-9.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Instead of just calling you a DUMBA**, I want to try and make your stay on this website more productive for all of us.

Don't let the guns & stuff fool you, having your comments looked at in a positive manner around "here" is no different than being in public.

You've got to THINK before you comment, and try real hard not to be so darn ignorant.

Good Luck in your future discussions!

Chris
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top