Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:29:26 AM EDT
I see pics of them, but there is no description on what makes them a DISSY.
Please enlighten

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dissy = Dissipator. A carbine that has rifle length sight radius with the carbine gas system, or I think you can go with a rifle gas system as well. It also uses rifle length handguards.

Basically the FSB is moved towards the end of the muzzle on a carbine barrel, and some have the actual gas block midway.

Either way, do a search for dissipator and you'll find answers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
16" barrel with a rifle length hand guard and FSP/gas block.  The advantage is the increased sight path from the rear sights to the front sight.  Think about your side arm for a second.  Many find it easy to aim a hand gun with a 6" barrel than one with a 2" barrel.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
While the original "Bushmaster Dissipator" had rifle-length handguards and sight-radius, but a carbine-length gas-system under the handguards, the term appears to have gone "generic" and achieved a looser meaning.

I'd say it's defined something like this:

DISSIPATOR (or DISSY for short):  a 16" AR-15 in which the Front Sight Post is placed in the same position where it would be placed on a 20" M16A2-type rifle.  This may be accomplished by placing the true functioning gas block beneath the handguards in the carbine or mid-length position (rather than grounding it in the Front Sight Post), or by keeping the functioning gas block in the Front Sight Post while adapting the gas system to function with minimal barrel length beyond the gas-port.

Any Dissy fans want to agree of disagree with that def?

-MV
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people also call carbines with no front sight base and a full lenth railed handguard a dissy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
While the original "Bushmaster Dissipator" had rifle-length handguards and sight-radius, but a carbine-length gas-system under the handguards, the term appears to have gone "generic" and achieved a looser meaning.

I'd say it's defined something like this:

DISSIPATOR (or DISSY for short):  a 16" AR-15 in which the Front Sight Post is placed in the same position where it would be placed on a 20" M16A2-type rifle.  This may be accomplished by placing the true functioning gas block beneath the handguards in the carbine or mid-length position (rather than grounding it in the Front Sight Post), or by keeping the functioning gas block in the Front Sight Post while adapting the gas system to function with minimal barrel length beyond the gas-port.

Any Dissy fans want to agree of disagree with that def?

-MV

When I see or hear Dissipator, I think of the 16" barreled AR-15s with rifle length handguards and a rifle length sight radius.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The way I understand it, the only benefit is using irons for the extra sight radius while retaining 16" length?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The way I understand it, the only benefit is using irons for the extra sight radius while retaining 16" length?

That is one benefit, the longer sight radius.
The other is a full-length rifle gas system on the models that utilize the FSB as the gas block.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The other is a full-length rifle gas system on the models that utilize the FSB as the gas block.

How is that possible while being reliable?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the first one ever made.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
There is only one Dissapator and that's the Bushmaster Dissapator.

It has the 16 inch carbine gas system with the rifle front base.

Same with Oly's Eliminator.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that possible while being reliable?

Gas port is opened up a bit to ensure reliable functioning with a wide variety of ammo. I've got a Dissy with a rifle length gas system and it is dead nuts reliable, even in the cold.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is one benefit, the longer sight radius.

And don't forget the full length handguard, which prevents burns from a hot barrel and gives you lots of options to move stuff around if you have rails.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm starting to like dissys the more I look at em. There was a guy at the public range a few weeks ago shooting one. I was eye fucking his rifle and said that I liked his dissy. He looked at me and said that it was a Bushmaster "De-cep-tor"

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here is the first one ever made. img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/Slide3.jpg

That is just freaking sweet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is the first one ever made. img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/Slide3.jpg

That is just freaking sweet.

Not my gun, but it is nice. Here is mine. I can not wait for my Silent straw(Halo)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top