Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
I was at the gun show today and they had a bunch of poly mags for sale (2 for $25), I didn't know much about them but what the hell, if they suck I'm only out $25. They guy said this will be the next mag for the military

So Whats the story? Bull Shit or or the next big thing?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Thermolds are OK.  Not the best, not the worst.  I had several and they all worked just  fine.  2 for $25 is not a bad deal.  Enjoy them and shot the hell out of them!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They guy said this will be the next mag for the military

My opinion is the mag my be great but as far as the military using them.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thermolds suck.  The canadians who used them dont anymore because they suck so much.  They went back to aluminum IIRC.

Dont buy the story next time, buy the product.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They guy said this will be the next mag for the military

My opinion is the mag my be great but as far as the military using them.  

Dunno if the US military ever issued Thermolds, but the Canadian military certainly did. I own 8 or 9 marked with the Canadian Maple Leaf I've had for over 10 years. Not a lick of trouble with them.

HOWEVER

There were complaints from the Canadians of the mags melting under extreme useage. (I believe full auto blank firing was the specific.) Since I don't have a full auto, and am an Armchair Commando to boot, these work just fine for me.

Bottom line, they WERE military issue, at one time (Dunno if the Canadians still use them), but there were complaints.

Lonny
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had ANY problems with Thermold magazines.  I've heard that they can possibly fracture if they are dropped when it is VERY cold, but I've never experienced any problems with any of mine, even in cold weather.  In my experience, they are as reliable as any USGI mags I've ever used.

Early versions of the Thermold magzines made for the canadian military did not use the best materials (not the zytel that was originally specified), and apparently had a tendency to melt the feed lips under sustained full-auto fire - but I've never seen any of those for sale.  The ones made for civilian sale in N.C. did use the correct materials, and should not have those problems.

However, a new manufacturer has recently started making "new" Thermolds, and I don't know if they are as good as the original ones made in N.C. - so yours shoudl be fine, but I don't knwo about the new ones.

The U.S. military is NOT going to be using Thermold mags, as there is no advantage to them over existing USGI mags - however, other militaries do currently use them, including Canada and other western european countries, and don't seem to have any particular problems that I know of.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, Thermolds are fantastic mags. The Canadian version had material problems that aren't a problem on domestic Thermolds (no Canadian leaf). They are reliable, can be loaded with 30 rounds and easily seated under a closed bolt, and have ribbed sides for a sure grip during reloads. They are great mags. Enjoy them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow... A gun show selling overpriced Plastic mags that no Military uses anymore (with good reason) with a Bullshit story to go with them................ Now there's something you don't hear every day...........
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thermold magazines are some of the best STANAG magazines availible. They are highly reliable and very durable. I have around 20 NC/Canadian Thermolds and have yet to have a single problem with any of them. These were issued be several militaries and were evaluated as a possible replacement for the USGI aluminum magazines. Canada used an inferior and less heat resistant material not specified by the manufacture and had some melting during automatic firing with blanks. There were also reports of cracking during cold. Canada has since ditched the Thermold but IIRC, Holland still actively uses them. These are excellent magazines and are certainly suitible for defensive use. Thermolds really shine in the Mini 14. Ruger ceased production of factory 30's in 2000 only to resume production in 2005. New 30's are HIGHLY restricted and must be obtained from Ruger's LE division with a PD letterhead. With the exception of PMI/OEM there aren't many reliable 30 round magazines for the Mini 14. Thermolds are as reliable as OEM/PMI 30's and cost much less. ProMag recently started making Thermolds againg and selling them at a reduced price. I have several of these and they are every bit as reliable as my NC Thermolds, though they "feel" thinner, more like Canadian Thermolds. Anyone who owns are Mini 14 would be well advised to pick some up as they are highly reliable and look hard with the BC folder. Thermold magazines are some of the best STANAG magazines out there and you got a great deal on them. I personally keep 4 loaded with Federal 62grn TBBC in my Blackhawk chest rig to differentiat between my bonded rounds and TAP. I have no quams about using these as defensive magaziens.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a few of the maple leaf marked thermolds. they have been great range mags with zero problems. i've found that most people that bash them have never owned one. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Good, just not quite as good as USGI
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I meant the US of A  military. Not the little people up North.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
As cheap as the standard aluminum mags are now I don't really see any reason to buy the Thermolds. I used to work with a guy who was in the Candadian military and he said they did not like the Thermolds. He and his buddies bought their own aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow... A gun show selling overpriced Plastic mags that no Military uses anymore (with good reason) with a Bullshit story to go with them................ Now there's something you don't hear every day...........

Several western European militaries currently use Thermold magazines, to my knowledge (I know Denmark does, and I believe a few others do).  The problems that canadians had were due to using inferior materials in the contruction, not to eh magazine design itself.

(However, as I mentioned above, I have been told that they can be more fragile in extremely cold temperatures.)

Personally, I consider Thermold and USGI interchangable and equally good, and I have a lot of both kinds.  BUT, if I had to really rely on my weapons, and it was really cold outside, I'd probably grab the USGI just to be safe (even though I've never personally had a problem).
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a dealer at a gun show last weekend selling them for $10. I picked up one because I have never owned or used one before. Now I don't feel like I spent too much on it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
When I first got into shooting it was during the ban, and for some reason thermold mags were cheaper than USGI so that's all I had. I bought a bunch new and they worked great. Now that it's been some years, and they've had who knows how many rounds through them, they sometimes don't drop free completely but they still feed 99.9% reliably. Apparently the heat still has an effect on the plastic, but it takes A LOT of shooting to see any problems.
My only other complaint it the "ribbing" on the sides (ribbing, snicker snicker) can lead to the magazines getting snagged when you try to pull it out of like a vest or ammo carrier of some sort.
But, as you can see, I still use 'em a lot.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up two of the "maple leaf" marked thermolds, and they work great. The only thing that disappointed me was that they do not fit into my Supirior Arms lowers. They fit just fine into my COLT, but there is no way in hell they are going to fit into the Supirior Arms. Not sure why.

Gene
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
USofA thermelts!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a feeding problem with one Thermold (original NC) mag.  I threw it away.  I sold most of the others.  I kept two that I had used very slightly.  One problem with one mag doesn't mean they're all bad...

TS
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 6 US Thermelts, no problems with them at all.

I beleive that the Canadians were having cold cracking problems with their original Thermelts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I was recently sorting through all my stuff looking for a part and in a box I found ten thermolds that I had bought years ago and totally forgot about.

So I have that going for me
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
The ones that the Canucks used were referred to as "Thurmelts" for obvious reasons.

They suck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]
With Teflon coated 30rd mags w/ magpul followers out there for about $11 and change that work, why but something for more that has a shakey history?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
i have quite a few u.s. D&D thermolds and they function great! use them for my .50 beowulf and have yet experienced any failures with them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I have yet to see a pic of melted thermold...and guys...ones from the microwave oven don't count... I have owned a bunch..loved them...only reason I got rid them, was to go with a gun as a package deal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had ten Thermolds that I have used for close to a decade, even with extensive full auto use they have never given me any problems.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 2 of those. Works well ... but then again, I only use my rifle for plinking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Are they better than Orlites?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had a few Thermolds in the collection for several years and never had a problem with them.  They do have issues locking in place in a few lowers that lack a full mag well bevel.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Good Lord with the mag war going on get a dozen of the real thing from 44 Mag or CDNN.  I chose several with the new Magpul follower.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yes - Orlites suck, and the feed lips crack quite easily.  No comparison.  I had some Orlites and threw them away.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes - Orlites suck, and the feed lips crack quite easily.  No comparison.  I had some Orlites and threw them away.

+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#32]
i agree that with the prices on new usgi alum mags are hard to beat but during the ban the thermolds were the cheaper hi-caps found and i would imagine that banned states that can have 30rders would benifit from the lower price on these now as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, I'm only looking to use them on the range so it sounds like the consensus is there OK.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive used orlites for years, not a problem with a single one. No broken feedlips or any feed/function problems. Orlites are good too, but with the price on USGI mags why bother with something that is second best?

Orlites = $7-12
new USGI = $10-13

Go with new USGI mags unless you live in a commie state!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top