Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:54:57 AM EDT
I am looking for a rail system that is under $200. I have heard of Surefire, Knights (RAS), but the RAS is way out of my price range. A free floater isn't an option since I have a 14.5inch fixed FH. I found the MI#17 from Bravo Company and it looked like a good deal. My question is, with a $200 budget, what are some good rail options? Also, does anyone have any experience with this model and how tight it is? Thanks for the support.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I use them.  

As well as quite a few others here.

They are very tight and secure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you cut your FSB off and get a 2pc. the barrel nut will slide over the muzzle device. Then you could get a free floater
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A free floater isn't an option since I have a 14.5inch fixed FH. I found the MI#17 from Bravo Company and it looked like a good deal. My question is, with a $200 budget, what are some good rail options? Also, does anyone have any experience with this model and how tight it is? Thanks for the support.

Burkey,
  MI makes a 2 piece Free Float (MI #20), $163 sale priced at Bravo that would fit your 14.5" with perm FH.  Its on his website towards the end of the listed products in the hanguard section.

MI are great quality (very tight and snug fit) at an excellent price.  They are thicker (wider) when you grip than DD and Larue, but at almost $85 cheaper, MI is one helluva deal.

They definately fit your budget and Bravo will do you right.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I run the MI#17 on my RRA Entry Tactical.  I got it from Bravo Company.  It is a very nice product with tight lockup and excellent attention to detail.  It is "T" marked and does not require the services of a gunsmith.  The top rail is also level with the flat top receiver unlike some other manufacturers.  Bravo Company was great to work with as well with fast and friendly service.  Can't go wrong with MI or Bravo Company IMHO.  It just depends on what you plan to use the rail for.  Optics would need to go on something more solid.  For a VFG or tactical light the MI#17 should work well.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A free floater isn't an option since I have a 14.5inch fixed FH. I found the MI#17 from Bravo Company and it looked like a good deal. My question is, with a $200 budget, what are some good rail options? Also, does anyone have any experience with this model and how tight it is? Thanks for the support.

Burkey,
  MI makes a 2 piece Free Float (MI #20), $163 sale priced at Bravo that would fit your 14.5" with perm FH.  Its on his website towards the end of the listed products in the hanguard section.

MI are great quality (very tight and snug fit) at an excellent price.  They are thicker (wider) when you grip than DD and Larue, but at almost $85 cheaper, MI is one helluva deal.

They definately fit your budget and Bravo will do you right.

Can I install this without the need for a gunsmith? I just want something that doesn't need tools (Other Than Simple Allen Wrenches) to install?

Also, on the FF MI#20, I notice that there is a portion on the side rail that actually has no rail slits. There are no rail slits on the side rail. I was wondering if this can be covered with rail covers? Thanks!
Picture:
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to cover that with a Magpul or Tango Down railcover.  With the TD cover, you'll need to have the clip towards the front.  I'm sure you could install it yourself.

I have a 2-piece middy MI handguard, I'm very happy with it.  It's worth the money if you don't want or can't afford a higher end free float rail.  I haven't handled the MI free floats myself, but I would certainly buy one if I was looking for 2 piece free float in that price range.  The only drawback compared to more expensive systems seems to be a little bit more weight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
After seeing all the work needed to get the Free-Floater, I think I am going to get the regular rail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I love it!

I have it on my 20".

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I found the MI#17 from Bravo Company and it looked like a good deal. My question is, with a $200 budget, what are some good rail options? Also, does anyone have any experience with this model and how tight it is? Thanks for the support.

I've been looking at the M.I. too (#17C).  I like the fact both top and bottom pieces screw down togather, tight around the barrel nut.  That'll mean your barrel nut has to be precisely lined up for the top rail to match the receiver rail, but that's easly fixed.  If it's off a little bit you can swing the nut with a barrel wrench.

I've owned a KAC RAS and didn't like how loose it was on the bottom.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked my free floater that I had, I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I found the MI#17 from Bravo Company and it looked like a good deal. My question is, with a $200 budget, what are some good rail options? Also, does anyone have any experience with this model and how tight it is? Thanks for the support.

I've been looking at the M.I. too (#17C).  I like the fact both top and bottom pieces screw down togather, tight around the barrel nut.  That'll mean your barrel nut has to be precisely lined up for the top rail to match the receiver rail, but that's easly fixed.  If it's off a little bit you can swing the nut with a barrel wrench.

I've owned a KAC RAS and didn't like how loose it was on the bottom.  

the #17C is just the same as the #17 but for a Colt carbine.  There's no lining-up involved other than the normal for drop-in handguards.  Maybe you meant to say the #20C which IS a free floater for Colt carbine length handguards.

I run the #17 on my Bushy carbine and its very secure.  I have run many an ACOG reflex on that top rail.  But I would reccomend the #17X over the #17 and over the 17X i'd reccommend a #20X (free float version of 17X)  Pretty much no matter where you go with MI there's no chosing wrong.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top