Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:57 AM EDT
Hey all,

I got my Colt AR Lightweight Sporter out and have decided to start shooting it.  No sense having a fun gun like that and letting it sit in the safe without ever firing a shot.
It is a NIB and has never been shot or oiled for that matter.  I need to know where and how to properly lube her and how far to break it down.  I pushed the pin out and dropped the upper and then I pulled the action out via the charging handle.  That's about as far as I am comfortable in breaking it down.  I haven't went any further that that.  I did check out the parts and there wasn't any oil I could see on the internal parts.  There isn't any rust or any other type of build-up, it's just dry.
So can someone point me in the direction of a lube diagram or give me instructions on where to lube and the proper method for lubing the AR-15?  The oils I have are Browning Midas Oil, Breakfree CLP, TW-25B, Rem Oil and a syringe of Wilson Combat Ultima Lube White Grease.  I don't us all of these, they are just what I have collected over the years.  If I should be using something else like Mobil 1 5W30 let me know and I'll get it.  I want to start having some AR fun....

Thanks for the help and assistance, I appreciate your time.

Nala
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't want to put the Mobil on your gun. It is known to cause changes to the proerties of the metal (Hardening).  You can put oil anywhere you want except the bolt face. You don't want a buildup of lube in the chamber or you could get excessive pressures. A light coat of oil in the bore after cleaning wouldn't hurt, but if you live in a dry state it's not always necessary.

A bit of grease on the recoil spring makes the weapon a little quiter. Put oil inside the bolt carrier, on the bolt, locking lugs, and the barrel extension (where the bolt locks in.) The AR will sling off any oil it doesn't need and burn off lube as you go. I would recommend a good grease like the TW25B or a white lithium. If you don't mind cancer, Grease, molybdenum disulfide really works well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
member since july 2001 with 6 post? suprised you still remember your login info.

check the maintenance forum for more info
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You won't want to put the Mobil on your gun. It is known to cause changes to the proerties of the metal (Hardening).  .

I hope you find something to back that up, or can explain just exactly how a synthetic motor oil that sees far more sever usage than any gun could ever give it is unsuitable to lubricate a simple rifle.

I patiently wait the metalurguical explanation.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You won't want to put the Mobil on your gun. It is known to cause changes to the proerties of the metal (Hardening).  .

I hope you find something to back that up, or can explain just exactly how a synthetic motor oil that sees far more sever usage than any gun could ever give it is unsuitable to lubricate a simple rifle.

I patiently wait the metalurguical explanation.

+1

Waiting as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok since you didn't read the manual..

1) Click INFORMATION (upper right)
2) Select MANUALS & DOWNLOADs
3) Select M16/M4 Operators Manual (the -10)

Lube instructions is covered in detail in there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag for explanation as well.   If it gets used and abused in engines of all types then please explain why it will damage a rifle and not an engine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok since you didn't read the manual..

1) Click INFORMATION (upper right)
2) Select MANUALS & DOWNLOADs
3) Select M16/M4 Operators Manual (the -10)

Lube instructions is covered in detail in there.

I agree with Forest. Download a manual for your rifle. Study it and do a detailed field strip IAW the manual to become familiar with your new rifle. I’ll toss in this Army guide to help you identify the areas you need to lube and how much lube is recommended. But your best friend right now is the good ole’ manual!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the help and advice.  I went and downloaded the manual you all told me about and it is MUCH better than my Colt Owners Manual.  I also like the cartoons....

Thanks again for the help.

Nala
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top