Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2006 3:09:29 AM EDT
Is it not legal to own unmarked high cap mags in NY.

Thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at it this way,if the mags were produced in 2005 and had no markings to indicate date of manufacture,how could they prove they are post ban ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I would be careful.  A prosecutor can probably find some way for the manufacturer to say when an item was made.  It could be some minor detail in the metal, internal markings, finish, ect but I am sure there is a way to date a magazine.

Keep in mind what you are basically asking is "It's illegal for me to get something but since their are no marking how will the Gov't prove it's illegal?"  

I recommend that you search for mags you can prove are pre-ban.  Suck?  Yes, but then again you live in NY with their big bans.

Sorry about that.  Keep safe.

CSP

(NOT AN ATTY AND MY OPINION IS JUST THAT)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in NY.  I only buy mags from stores and at gun shows.  That way I know they are legal because they wouldn't sell them if they are not would they?  I also have 14 pre ban mags on the way from a fellow member.  I thought I had enough, but. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That way I know they are legal because they wouldn't sell them if they are not would they?

Not necessarily..........

The seller is under no duty to keep you from buying illegal items.

Caveat Emptor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I live in NY.  I only buy mags from stores and at gun shows.  That way I know they are legal because they wouldn't sell them if they are not would they?  I also have 14 pre ban mags on the way from a fellow member.  I thought I had enough, but. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Every gun show I go to here,some dealers have boxes of brand new D&H 30 rounders for $10.00 a pop...I could buy as many as I want...But I don't.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Enforcing the magazine capacity ban can be tricky business. Obviously, LEO magazines are not permitted nor are non-ban magazines with post 94 date codes. I have many "pre-ban" USGI 30's which have absolutely no markings, with the exception of the floorplate. There are absolutely no date codes to denote date of manufacture. You could possibly prove date of manufacture by the markings on the floor plate. You could research who had the contract and at what time. Also some of the manufactures went by different names during the ban, so you could show that magazines marked with the old name are pre-ban. I hate magazine capacity restrictions as they are impossibly easy to circumvent and dont restrict the capacity of a weapon. It just confounds people who own P99's and newer weapons who want high capacity magazines. It also gives idiot gun dealers the cause to charge 35.00 for a Cooper/Sanchez magazine because its in the bag. I have seen "pre-ban" G17 magazines for 80.00 and non-LEO marked Mini 14 20's for 140.00. Insantiy. I would be weary about owning non-marked magazines, unless I could prove date of manufacuture by the companies name/contract date. Illegal magazines are illegal magazines, so if they don't have a date stamping or I couldn't prove they were legal, id likely not own them. If you insist on having non-marked magazines which you "believe" are pre-ban, why not own non-LEO marked D&H or similar for a fraction of the price. If you are going to break the law, which you shouldnt, you might as well do it with good magazines.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top