Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
I know this is America and people can do what they want but I was just wondering why someone in say Georgia for example need to do their ARs in desert tan?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know this is America and people can do what they want but I was just wondering why someone in say Georgia for example need to do their ARs in desert tan?

Because they have the $$$ and they want to be cool!  It's the same reason why people in southern AZ who never go to northern AZ have green ARs...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
for looks, lets face it 80% of us will never use our civilian ARs for anything more then plinking, training or comp shooting " at least hopefully"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in the desert and have OD furniture.  I did this mainly so when I get totally shitfaced at the range I'll be able to find my rifle easier.

John P.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
"need" is a totally subjective term
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"need" is a totally subjective term

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I live in the desert and have OD furniture.  I did this mainly so when I get totally shitfaced at the range I'll be able to find my rifle easier.

John P.

That's just entirely too practical.
You should paint it pink! j/k
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep green on in the summer and brown in the fall on thru winter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
what? don't like my input?

need is a subjective term refers to that fact that none of us actually "need" any ARs---or AK's or half the shit we do have.

maybe they buy tan ARs because they can, maybe they think they are cool or maybe , just maybe, they wanted something different from the 10,000,000 identical black ARs out there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine are all black.   Black goes with everything and is very slimming!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do people who live in the city drive a Truck/SUV?

Why do you park in the drive way and drive on the parkway?

Why are apartments together?

Do you actually wear a "pair" of underwear or just one?

Why are they called shoe "laces" when they aren't even made of lace?

Why do you brush your "teeth" with a "tooth" brush?

Why don't you add to my list?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Your blowin my mind mannn
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Same reason everyone needs m-4 barrels with m203 cuts and 1-7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The original question certainly is a good one.  I have wondered, or at least noticed, that trend.

Hey I like tan with a little OD thrown in too.  If it's Uncle Sams, hell yeah!  My own?  Still on the fence.  I don't hunt with guns (my bow is camo, but not desert since I'm in KY) therefore I don't need them to blend into anything but the darkness of my hallway.

Done right (subjective as hell) they still look great.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why when they send it by ship it's Cargo, but when they send it by truck, it's a Shipment?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what? don't like my input?

need is a subjective term refers to that fact that none of us actually "need" any ARs---or AK's or half the shit we do have.

maybe they buy tan ARs because they can, maybe they think they are cool or maybe , just maybe, they wanted something different from the 10,000,000 identical black ARs out there.

Thanks for the terminology lesson. I'm down with customizing the color of your rifle, it just seems to me that you would want it to blend with your environment.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
because tan is the new OD
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why do people who live in the city drive a Truck/SUV'S/

Cause it snows in the city as well, duh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
2x tap
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the simple answere to your question is that we are going to take aur battle to our attackers home land as we dont want ours messed up. Hence, tan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I suppose it's for the same reason people by sports cars that will go 3 times the posted speed limit.  Or the same reason that women will happily pay $200 for a pair of pants or $600 for a purse or $200 for a bathing suit made with less material than it takes to cover a baseball.  "Want" is very rarely rational.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#21]
By the way Genesmith...the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia...anywhere else and it would have been called the teethbrush.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

answers:
#1 to get out of the city,
#2 they drive on the parkway to get out of the city
#3 because of the fire laws
#4 yes on cold days I wear a pair of underwear. I just take extra care so the holes don't line up
#5 for that matter why are they called shoes
#6 take another look at my smile
#7 I just did

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Tan is a good all-around color.  Even in "green" states, many months out of the year, that green stuff dies and turns tan.  Many green things turn brown or tan in the summer.  Under most green leaves are brown or tan things, like bark, sticks, dirt, etc.  It isn't just necessarily a sand color.  It's an everything color.  That's probably why most animals evolved with brown or tan fur instead of green - it blends better.

Oh, and it just looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Because, tan will vanish about as well as anything, in the grass around here.  it's only green totally if you're flying over.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]
When we where supporting the NJ National Guard at a Nuke plant (in NJ), we asked them "why are you guys in woodland utilities when all the marsh grass is dead and brown(the place was on an island in the Deleware River)  They replied, a bit snottily, like any idiot knew the answer

really

wait for it

CAMOFLAGE, Duh

I love the army.  A better set of Poker losers there never where.

ka

As to the rifles, as long as the shine is kept down...who cares.
All of mine have a 2in piece of blue 3M painters tape on the stock.  All my mags have a piece on the floor plate, and my pistols have one on the grips.  Reason?  At a competition that my unit was having with personal weapons, a Senior Chief was breaking my stones about "tape holding the grips of my Beretta on".  I walked over to the arms table where there were 11 Beretta 92's.  I mixed them up quickly and asked the Chief "which one is yours?"  Picked out mine in nothing flat.
Next comp, EVERYONE is sporting some kind of identifying mark.

ka
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
It's called a "tooth" brush because it was invented in Alabama.

Otherwise it would be a "Teeth" brush.

hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mine are all black.   Black goes with everything and is very slimming!

Not only that, but black rifles should be just that...............black.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Cause they can?

Not being a smartass. Why not? They got pink, red, orange, shit brown and the feller even painted one up like barbie stuff. I doubt his daughter is gonna be doing CQB in a barbie dream house. She wanted it, he did it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have wondered the same thing, but Crylon would fix any geographical RGB shortcommings in a hurry. As for web gear, I am in the Pacific NW so OD green works well for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Its coyote brown not tan...

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Cause they can?

Not being a smartass. Why not? They got pink, red, orange, shit brown and the feller even painted one up like barbie stuff. I doubt his daughter is gonna be doing CQB in a barbie dream house. She wanted it, he did it.

I guess I was wanting someone to own up and say, " because I seen our troops on TV or the web with tan battle rifles and I'm a poser". But I guess not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Tans and browns are good base colors for camoflage in neirly all terrain and vegitation types. There is not always green, and there is nothing in nature that is truly black (and shadows are not a black color, they are still whatever color they were before only without light hitting them) but there is generaly always something brown or tan, like the dirt or tree trunks or the foliage under trees. Browns and tans are a safer bet for blending in, the lighter colors will also keep down shadow contrasts while laying in the prone, and can always be darkend by adding natural vegitation where darker colors are harder to tone down without looking like a big dark blob with vegitation attached to it. At least I think thats right
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#34]
That's what the internut commandouches see the military using over in the mid east.  

And if uncle sam ever needs to call out Fat Assed Keyboard commandos to go fight...  THEY'RE READY TO ROCK!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That's what the internut commandouches see the military using over in the mid east.  

And if uncle sam ever needs to call out Fat Assed Keyboard commandos to go fight...  THEY'RE READY TO ROCK!

DING DING DING.........Sir, I think we have a winner!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Hmm.
I want a blue AR. Is this bad?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#37]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quoted:

PRIVATE HELLHOUND AWAITING ORDERS!!

I'm a reservist Armchair Commando....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I think, to some at least, it just might be rooted in patriotism. A want to show that you're involved in the fight to the degree you can be. I wouldn't link it wantabe because I believe that's a negitive adjuct in this case.

I don't know, it's just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#39]
West Virginia  TOOTH brush.  I love it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Pennsylvania isn't very green in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, its Flat Dark Earth

FDE/Coyote was designed to be an all seasons/all terrain color for everywhere, not just the desert.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I personally think light sand/tan is too light for just about every terrain in the US. It doesn't blend in as well as flat dark earth (which matches just about everwhere).

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Flat dark earth is I think the perfect base color also.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cause they can?

I guess I was wanting someone to own up and say, " because I seen our troops on TV or the web with tan battle rifles and I'm a poser". But I guess not.

i like my tan rifle here in my sometimes very green state. In winter when its nothing but tan grass, oh and in the hott summer when every field is tan/burnt.  Oh and the miles and miles of sand dunes and beach areas that surround me in every direction.

But honestly i have a tan M4gery sandbox copycat because i have a WWI rifle, a WWII rifle, a Korean war era rifle, and a Vietnam War era rifle and i wanted the rifle that i see our troops kicking ass with in the World War on Terror.  Thats why i do it.  The sand and brown fields are just a nice coincidence.
lobsta
I think i own a few that are not tan.

eta:   in this post i refer to tan as all tan, brown, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish the rifle I had in Iraq was tan or brown nothing but plane old boreing black for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, its Flat Dark Earth

FDE/Coyote was designed to be an all seasons/all terrain color for everywhere, not just the desert.

There's a difference in desert tan and FDE/coyote, right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Warhorse i just admitted what you wanted right.  And that was the truth.  I built a copycat.  am i a poser in your opinion.  honestly.  i'm thick skinned
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I know this is America and people can do what they want but I was just wondering why someone in say Georgia for example need to do their ARs in desert tan?hr

The same reason I live in AZ and have green furniture on my M4.   Because I want to.

Now shut up and go shoot your gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I am going to do one in woodgrain so it matches the back of the gun cabinet, after all I want it to blend with its surroundings. Then I will do one in egg crate foam to match the hard case.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Warhorse i just admitted what you wanted right.  And that was the truth.  I built a copycat.  am i a poser in your opinion.  honestly.  i'm thick skinned

Actually in my original post I stated" in green states".  I'm from Florida where its pretty much green all year long. I was just wondering why someone "in green states" need tan ARs. Your from Rhode Island, I have no idea what your environment looks like. Hell, I would assume you might would want a white AR. And personally I don't really give a damn what color you do your AR. The post about being posers was just a joke anyway. Thats why I put a in there.To each his own.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top