Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
Boy was it nice to have a day off of work.

First time shooting her since I had her re-configured about a year-and-a-half ago. She was in post-ban state then, and I had my local dealer (Terry L. Davis) replace the front sight assembly and thread the barrel.

Anyway, I picked up some remanufactured Ultramax 55-Grain FMJ yesterday (trying to find the closest thing I could to XM193) at a local store....then came home and searched 'Ultramax' here on the forums - only to find out people have had some issues with the stuff. Thought to myself: 'Uh-Oh'...I then proceeded to inspect each and every round for damage...and they were good to go. Put 160 rounds through it. All open sights at 50 yards from bench rest.

I used the 'Improved Battlesight Zero' method described on the Maryland AR15. Shooters Site.
Thought it worked out really well.

My RRA A2 20":

First group of 10 Ultramax 55-Grain FMJ:

Last group of 10 Ultramax 55-Grain (eight shots fit under a quarter, the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

One of a couple of 30-round Rapid Fire sets using Wolf 55-Grain steel cased FMJ:

The Wolf seemed to run fine today, when it hasn't in the past.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent shooting!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
cool.  I have that same rifle...except it's missing a lower right now. (busy on another upper)

Is there any other use for a bayo lug...besides a bayonet?  Do you mount one on there ever?
Just wondering, because I see alot of people want the lug...yet no one mounts a knife.  

If I had a pre-ban, I'd add a FH, but probobly wouldnt spend the $ to add the lugged FSB.
YMMV I guess.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
....the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

That's what they all say.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks BerlinVet!

Quoted:
Is there any other use for a bayo lug...besides a bayonet?  Do you mount one on there ever?

I wanted the lug after the ban ended for two reasons:
1) Just cause I COULD have a bayonet lug.
2) I carried an M16A2 in the Corps, and wanted a close clone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
....the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

That's what they all say.....

LOL, yeah, but that's a .308 hole.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]

I carried an M16A2 in the Corps, and wanted a close clone.

That's guiding my ideas also, as I research which AR to buy...  I've been thinking about the same setup as yours, sounds like it works well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice shooting!

Is that an HBAR or a Government Profile barrel on there?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle. I am assembling the same configuration now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice shooting!

Is that an HBAR or a Government Profile barrel on there?

If it's an unaltered RRA, it's an HBAR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, it's an HBAR, and it's pretty darn accurate.
I love the setup - mainly because it's simple.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice rifle and shooting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to be shooting Highpower, if those are iron sight groups.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you mean highpower matches - wow, thanks for the compliment.

I thought these were decent groups, I didn't really consider them all that great. I think I shot a lot better when I was still in the Marine Corps.

These are iron sight groups at 50 yards (not 100).

I guess shooting stories are like fish stories - you never know what to believe unless you were there. By way of 'proof' - I was shooting at a public range here in Austin (the one in Manor off Old Kimbro Road), and there was only one other rifle shooter on the firing line during the 2 hours I was there.

The female RSO was sitting right behind me the entire time, and walked me down to pick up my targets. She complimented me on the groups I had shot, and stated that most people that shoot ARs on that range are all over the place - so she would probably remember me, and be able to verify if asked.

Thanks again for the compliment.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you mean highpower matches - wow, thanks for the compliment.

I thought these were decent groups, I didn't really consider them all that great. I think I shot a lot better when I was still in the Marine Corps.

These are iron sight groups at 50 yards (not 100).

I guess shooting stories are like fish stories - you never know what to believe unless you were there. By way of 'proof' - I was shooting at a public range here in Austin (the one in Manor off Old Kimbro Road), and there was only one other rifle shooter on the firing line during the 2 hours I was there.

The female RSO was sitting right behind me the entire time, and walked me down to pick up my targets. She complimented me on the groups I had shot, and stated that most people that shoot ARs on that range are all over the place - so she would probably remember me, and be able to verify if asked.

Thanks again for the compliment.

You are averaging 2 MOA with .mil ammo and a benchrest.  Using match ammo and a sling like you were taught in the Corps will cut that down to at least 1.5 MOA.  The AR is a difficult rifle to shoot from a benchrest, and a tight sling will keep muzzle jump under control better, reducing your vertical spread.

1.5 MOA will clean every target in the NRA HP course of fire, with a good X count.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top