Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:25:33 AM EDT
I recently put together my first AR-15 after hanging out on this wonderful website for about six months.   What a nice place for a NOOB to learn about the AR-15.    It is a Bushmaster 20" gov't profile 1/7 barrel and Bushmaster receiver,  flattop,  with ARMS #40 buis,  Samco aftermarket grip,   six position stock with cheek rest & rubber pad,  with a cheap TASCO redot that I covered in rubber on an 1/2" RRA riser(only until I save money for something better like an Aimpoint or EoTech),  A2 Flash Higher.  The buis does have a nice 1/3 co-witness.

How often should I take handguards off to clean/oil the part of the barrel that they cover?  Every time you shoot?  Once as year?  Etc.?

Also,  is there any  type of muzzle break or flash hider materially improves accuracy over the A2.  Is there any type that is heads and shoulders better?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently put together my first AR-15 after hanging out on this wonderful website for about six months.   What a nice place for a NOOB to learn about the AR-15.    It is a Bushmaster 20" gov't profile 1/7 barrel and Bushmaster receiver,  flattop,  with ARMS #40 buis,  Samco aftermarket grip,   six position stock with cheek rest & rubber pad,  with a cheap TASCO redot that I covered in rubber on an 1/2" RRA riser(only until I save money for something better like an Aimpoint or EoTech),  A2 Flash Higher.  The buis does have a nice 1/3 co-witness.

How often should I take handguards off to clean/oil the part of the barrel that they cover?  Every time you shoot?  Once as year?  Etc.? Never unless your changing something, otherwise it doesnt get dirty under there, not bad enuff that warrants cleaning there unless you drop it in mud, sand or water. if you have oil all over the barrel , when it gets hot it could smoke more than normal

Also,  is there any  type of muzzle break or flash hider materially improves accuracy over the A2.  Is there any type that is heads and shoulders better?Alot of the ppl really like the phantom, I only went with the phantom cuz ive got 14.5" barrel and I need to make 16" Otherwise, id stick with A2. IMO

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
arescueman,  Iam looking at that exact same rifle.  Do you mind me asking what you paid for the rifle alone?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The only time I've cleaned under the handguards was I got mud under there when I was hog hunting. The rifle worked fine, just cleaned it out when I got home. Otherwise it doesn't get dirty under there.

The A2 works just fine in my opinion.

ETA: I've haven't been here a year yet. But it sure seems there are a whole lot of questions from new people buying AR's. Not complaining though, I think it's wonderful the more people that own them are more people supporting ownership of all weapons and not just the fudd guns.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Getty,

I paid $275  for the complete lower receiver and orginal grip with 6 position  stock at a gun show from a dealer.   $571 for the complete upper  assembly including;  flattop receiver, barrel,  hand guards,  bolt carrier,  charing handle  &  A2 flashhider,   with ARMS #40 A2 buis from PK Firearms.  $19  for the SAMCO aftermarket grip and $19 for the cheek support from AIMsurplus.   Basically,  I bought the upper and lower assemblies separately and put them together with a few other parts I purchased.   All major componets including stock, barrel, upper and lower receivers were Bushmaster parts.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
die-tryin

That is helpful info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How often should I take handguards off to clean/oil the part of the barrel that they cover?  Every time you shoot?  Once as year?  Etc.?

Anytime you've been out in the rain or heavy humidity.  Put a very light coat of CLP on the barrel.  The barrel is steel - if it gets wet and there is no oil then it will rust.

is there any  type of muzzle break or flash hider materially improves accuracy over the A2.  Is there any type that is heads and shoulders better?

The best thing you can do to improve accuraccy is to go get some proffesional training.  That will do orders of magnitude more than all the gadgets combined.

Heck man you're in PA - you have no excuse for training.  With the FIRE Institute in Pittsburg and InSights classes held in Harrisburg you have options (personally I'm a HUGE fan of the FIRE Institute and drive all the way out there from where I live in MD).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the help from everyone and the link to the Fire Institute..  

It is hard to believe that five years ago I did not think people needed guns except for hunting!

Here is my story.  Five years I heard on the car radio  a story about The City of  Alanta  sueing Smith and Wession for their gun voilence .  It seemed  to me  a little like sueing an auto manufacturer for car wreck injuries.  I said to my wife - "Honey - I generally do not support gun ownership  but it looks like they may try to ban guns altogether someday so I am going to get one while I can."  I when out and purchased a Kahr MK9 pistol and  joined a gun club and really liked it.  Well,  within a year I had six pistols and and several rifles.  I then found out that I could get a Curio & Relic FFL for $35.   That started me collecting military surplus guns...Mausers,  SKS,  Mosin Nagants,  CZ-52's,  K-31's, etc.   The next year I started reloading a few calibers to save money.   Six months ago I thought..."I need to start collecting some modern assult type weapons. ...which lead me to this web site.

It is hard to believe  how this hobby grows on you!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I appreciate all the help from everyone and the link to the Fire Institute..  

It is hard to believe that five years ago I did not think people needed guns except for hunting!

Here is my story.  Five years I heard on the car radio  a story about The City of  Alanta  sueing Smith and Wession for their gun voilence .  It seemed  to me  a little like sueing an auto manufacturer for car wreck injuries.  I said to my wife - "Honey - I generally do not support gun ownership  but it looks like they may try to ban guns altogether someday so I am going to get one while I can."  I when out and purchased a Kahr MK9 pistol and  joined a gun club and really liked it.  Well,  within a year I had six pistols and and several rifles.  I then found out that I could get a Curio & Relic FFL for $35.   That started me collecting military surplus guns...Mausers,  SKS,  Mosin Nagants,  CZ-52's,  K-31's, etc.   The next year I started reloading a few calibers to save money.   Six months ago I thought..."I need to start collecting some modern assult type weapons. ...which lead me to this web site.It is hard to believe  how this hobby grows on you!

Well glad to see you decided to excercise your 2nd Amendment right and yes it is a right not a priveledge(sp?) like some want us to believe.

And to the section in red:  Dude your gonna go broke........
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top