BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
Greetings!~

Just wanted to say hi and ask a question -

I've got a Colt Sporter.  Its an older one.  Serial SP81xxx range.  I think its a 70's manufacture, have no real idea.  Its original, except that the finish was pretty bad when I got it, so I disassembled it down to every last pin, spring, and washer, and K-Kote'd everything.  Came out great, looks nice, shoots nice, no issues at all.

Except hing
The idea of stainless steel appeals to me.  The idea of keeping the K-Kote parts for use with the stainless barrel appeals to me.

Even the idea of a 16 inch barrel appeals to me.

Thing is I cant find any light contour stainless barrels.  I have found 20 inch stainless barrels with the heavy contour... thing is I dont have access to a lathe anymore.  The gas block section of my barrel is (from memory) .6xx inches.  I think its like .635 or something like that.  Heavy contour barrels are generally something like .750, so its a bit of thinning that would be needed.  Not un-doable, but I'd have to pay or barter or beg for some lathe time, and tooling.  

What has me all in a undecided mood is.... am I barking up the wrong tree here?  Should I just keep the Colt as is and go find something with a faster twist.   Which leads to... is anyone making a rifle with a 16 inch stainless preban type barrel?

Many thanks for all your input!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally,  I would leave it as is. I would not alter the rifle just to shoot heavier bullets more accurately. That being said, welcome to the board. Would like to see your K-Kote Colt, so please post pics if possible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I can post some pics!  Gotta wait till the weekend, but no problemo!

So how about a choice for a rifle then?  I want to keep the weight down, like stainless, and accuracy does not need to be match grade.  I only shoot with iron sites.

In fact, you're gonna get a picture of the scopemount I made and never use too!~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the scope mount....

http://www.blueshottub.com/mount1.gif
I made it from some bar stock.  Surface ground it to .500 "exactly" and then whittled on it with the Bridgeport for a bit.  The screw and nut are stainless.  I turned the nut from some 1 inch bar stock.  The black thing under the mount is the clamp, made from a solid bar of teflon.  Yup solid teflon - got it from a mold maker I was friendly with back when.  It cant be painted, but it did accept some dye.  Not perfect.  The mount has Redfield rings on it, and I sent the rings and mount out and had em parkerized (for the HBAR I used to have).  Never got around to K-Kote'ing this, as I never really use it.

http://www.blueshottub.com/mount2.gif
I been told I got a bit carried away with the machining, but hey, its "art"!~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe check into getting a Bushmaster. They have have a 1:9 twist which would be a good in between twist rate suitable for both light and heavy bullets. You may check into their 16in superlight model ( pencil barrell) and see if they also come with the 1:9 twist like their H-Bar models. I am a Colt lover (model 6520 ), but have also had good luck with Bushmasters products.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top