Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 4:15:26 PM EDT
http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/1437.gif OLY. KRIEGER, AND BROWNELLS.

My first build has been a real trip.
The reason you guys have so many questions is lack of specific info such as dimensions and
photographs or drawings plus the numerous screwups from the suppliers. Parts that are supposed to fit just don't, and you cannot find out enough info up front to avoid these screwups. Case in point: A barrel nut is a barrel nut..right???? NOT! Brownells Armorers wrench for AR15 does not fit my YHM free float barrel nut. Not even close. Luckily, the tube wrench from YHM has a fine nut wrench on the other end or I never would have gotten the mfn barrel on! Actually, I would have been able to do the barrel nut with the OLY wrench and action block that came today...........a month after I CANCELLED the order ......which was another month after I ordered it. I still cannot finish the job for lack of a stupid gas tube roll pin that I specifically asked Krieger to put in the gas block that came with this $ 600 barrel.  O.K. I'm all better now. Anyway, I now have some new spare parts that are on sale. OLY armorers wrench and action block ( make an offer on both there in the same unopened box) I also have the Brownells armorers wrench, and a new regulated gas tube that cannot be used with a free float end cap.                [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
what would make ya think that any wrench would work with your YHM tube.  if ya wanted a wrench to fit it you should of bought YHM's wrench.  Brownells-the largest gunsmith supply in the world i would say.  they get many $1000's of my $$$$$, at a discount of course.  Krieger Barrels some of the finest barrels in the world.  Oly-  i dont like them either.  if it would help your frustrations and your build IM me and i will send ya a gas tube roll pin.  Kinda pricey barrel for a first build.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
So, before you started your project did you ask any generic or specific questions pertaining to your project?

Did you ask anyone in the OH hometown forum anyone lives near you who might have the stuff you need / needed to finish your project?

From your post I can see that you do not have a spares kit.
Now is the time to order at least one each of all the small parts you need to build / repair an AR15.

Had I seen a post from you I would have told you to skip buying that armorer's wrench and go with the armorer's barrel wrench instead, buy a spare parts kit and to check out / post to the OH hometown forum and the build it yourself forum.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a strap wrench on YHM tubes, and a generic spanner to just hold the nut while turning the strap wrench.  This allows much more torque to be applied.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude... I am not so sure you should have a gun anyway
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dude... I am not so sure you should have a gun anyway

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why someone would combine, YHM, Oly and Krieger. That's like buying a Pinto, a Yugo and a Lexus. hr

If you had actually read the post you would see that I did not combine OLY and anything.
I'll post a photo later so you can see the very lightweight customizible YHM tube.
The regulated tube is no longer for sale. I indexed and machined a slot in the tube for access to the regulator and machined out one web in the end cap for the regulator to pass thru.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]

C4

I indexed and machined a slot in the tube for access to the regulator and machined out one web in the end cap for the regulator to pass thru.  

This is for display only correct?? BTW a freefloat tube is an integrated unit and an AR barrel nut is a seperate device. That would be like using a Mac keyboard on a PC.......

Part of building your own is learning..nothing to do with the people you buy parts from... Dont bitch at Eotech when your mount doesnt line up.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

C4

I indexed and machined a slot in the tube for access to the regulator and machined out one web in the end cap for the regulator to pass thru.  

This is for display only correct?? BTW a freefloat tube is an integrated unit and an AR barrel nut is a seperate device. That would be like using a Mac keyboard on a PC.......

Part of building your own is learning..nothing to do with the people you buy parts from... Dont bitch at Eotech when your mount doesnt line up.....

I now have a regulated gas tube installed under a YHM free flote tube.
The gun is completed. I just thought an armorers wrench would work on the tube nut because
regardless of nut the holes have to line up with the gas port. Just logical I guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Here it is ....without gas block & roll pin.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/sopssops/ar015.jpg
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#12]
unfortunately no, no maker's FF barrel nut is compatible with anothers.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Gas tube installed thru tube endplate with slot for regulator access.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/sopssops/ar016.jpg
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, but I've got to agree with a lot of what he's said. I've had a lot of the same problems with AR type vendors. I guess years of dealing with 1911 parts vendors, Midway and yes, Brownells have spoiled me. There are some very very good vendors, but there are also many that leave a lot to be desired as far as service and sharing of information goes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Parts and supplies are what they are and there is a general assumption that you know what to do with them and what is needed. It is unreasonable to think that any vendor will walk you through every detail and plan your projects for you or in short inspire you with the knowledge you are lacking. Brownells goes out of there way to help smiths and do it your selfers if you ask. but you have to ask! You bought a YHM free float, you should have known about the wrench that would be needed. Krieger forgot the pin! Dam, $600.00 and I bet they still have humans packing their stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gas tube installed thru tube endplate with slot for regulator access.
i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/sopssops/ar016.jpg

Just in case it doesn't get mentioned, you did a great job milling the access port for the gas regulator.  That's a truly custom mod on a first build.  Good luck with the project.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the positive comments. All I'm saying is they make it harder than it has to be by using generic terms for items that are not generic and failing to give simple descriptions such as dimensions. For example; even Midways technical pop up window for an item does not give the dimensions for a recoil pad. CAR pads are not all the same. If they would just say 5" x 1 5/8" then I would know which one to purchase.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for the positive comments. All I'm saying is they make it harder than it has to be by using generic terms for items that are not genericthey aren't generic- they have BRAND names or MANUFACTURER's names.  That is the OPPOSITE of generic. and failing to give simple descriptions such as dimensions. For example; even Midways technical pop up window for an item does not give the dimensions for a recoil pad. CAR pads are not all the same. If they would just say 5" x 1 5/8" where are those dimensions taken from?  I could probably measure all sorts of places on my CAR stock and not know which dimensions you or they are referring to.  Are you talking about overall outside dimensions of the pad or the inside/outside of the stock?then I would know which one to purchase.  

You aren't really wrong in what you say so I don't mean to sound like I am arguing.  I guess it's just very unusual that someone is able to figure out all of the parts they need for their build and get 99% of them without really knowing how they all work.  Sure, there are idiots out there but I don't believe you are one of them.

Most people just spend a lot more time figuring out what they want and in the process, learning how some of them work together.

Not my style but nice build!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why someone would combine, YHM, Oly and Krieger. That's like buying a Pinto, a Yugo and a Lexus.

C4

Hahaha, I guess I am in the same boat, as I have a $550 custom Shilen barrel and a $100 YHM FF  It is on a Colt upper though.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/1437.gif OLY. KRIEGER, AND BROWNELLS.

The reason you guys have so many questions is lack of specific info such as dimensions and
photographs or drawings plus the numerous screwups from the suppliers. Parts that are supposed to fit just don't, and you cannot find out enough info up front to avoid these screwups. Case in point: A barrel nut is a barrel nut..right???? NOT! Brownells Armorers wrench for AR15 does not fit my YHM free float barrel nut. Not even close. Luckily, the tube wrench from YHM has a fine nut wrench on the other end or I never would have gotten the mfn barrel on! Actually, I would have been able to do the barrel nut with the OLY wrench and action block that came today...........a month after I CANCELLED the order ......which was another month after I ordered it. I still cannot finish the job for lack of a stupid gas tube roll pin that I specifically asked Krieger to put in the gas block that came with this $ 600 barrel.  O.K. I'm all better now. Anyway, I now have some new spare parts that are on sale. OLY armorers wrench and action block ( make an offer on both there in the same unopened box) I also have the Brownells armorers wrench, and a new regulated gas tube that cannot be used with a free float end cap.                [email protected]

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/1437.gif OLY. KRIEGER, AND BROWNELLS.

I missed that part of your speech.  That is a FLAW in your thinking!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
So you don't know what you're doing - and somehow it's the fault of the vendor's.

Okaaaaaaaaay.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Another classic example of lack of information: Parts maker advertises light weight product, FF tube for example but there are many others even including lowers, and doesn't list what it weighs. DUH?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're serious about getting rid of your Oly wrench, drop me an IM. Might take that off your hands, depending on the price....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So you don't know what you're doing - and somehow it's the fault of the vendor's.

Okaaaaaaaaay.

/\   +1

A little more research would have saved you some head aches.  Assume nothing!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okaaaaaaaaay.

/\   +1

A little more research would have saved you some head aches.  Assume nothing!  

Youall missing the point. I did three months of research and didn't really have a problem other than ending up with an extra wrench,. and  I wasn't sent a needed part I asked for. The point I've been trying to make is that suppliers don't provide much details like the weight of a "lightweight" product or other useful info like dimensions. This makes the research very difficult.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#28]
that's why you read the threads on LW foreends and look at the weight charts.  it doesn't take more than three months to do that...

they couldn't give you the prices they do if they tried to give you every bit of data on the parts they sell.

you are welcome to come to this site for free and look that info up yourself or go to the maker's website and look it up for free.

it shouldn't take you three months to find that info out.  since you didn't find it out after three months, we'll assume there is something wrong with you.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Three month search on leftyshooter to see if he asked any "I am going to do this" questions before he started, and to see if he went to his home town forum to ask any "I am going to do this" questions.

Net result?
ZERO.

What I did find (removed ammo and GD posts).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! AR PART MAKERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
AR Discussions

Proper amount of bolt carrier play.
Build It Yourself

OLY service??? WARNING!!!!! What's wrong with those people?
AR Discussions

Do you have any control over the headspace when attaching a barrel ?
Build It Yourself

krieger barrel info confusing.
Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top