Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:13:43 AM EDT
Those of you who have one on a flattop...

Do you set it up to co-witness with the irons?

Do you use a riser to set it slightly above the irons (so the irons are visible in the lower part of the EOTech?

Or do you remove the front and rear irons completely?

How did you set it up and why do you like it that way?

Thanks,

Andy

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I wanted to try mine first w/o a riser and I'm glad I did. I think it's a perfect fit with folding rear BUIS...also saved $100 - $150.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is setup directly on the flattop, I co-witness with my irons, but they are both flip-up YHM sites.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you set it up to co-witness with the irons?

Do you use a riser to set it slightly above the irons (so the irons are visible in the lower part of the EOTech?

Or do you remove the front and rear irons completely?

How did you set it up and why do you like it that way?

Thanks,

Andy

I mounted mine right on the flattop, I like the dot to be right on top of my irons.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
GG&G accucam + GG&G A2 buis = perfect co-witness alignment.  It doesn't bother me to have the front sight post in line with the reticle.  Some people really don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your advice!  I think I'll try it without a riser first and see how  Ilike it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is as far forward on the existing flatop as possible, without actually touching the handguards (and it's very close). I don't raise it at all, and it co-witnesses with my ARMS #40 BUIS. The EOTech is designed for faster target aquisition than using just irons, since it's only one thing to line up (the dot w/ target) versus irons (rear & front w/ target). You don't have to see the irons to hit your target with the EOTech, so I keep my BUIS folded down until needed.

Pic:

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
(C4, Not to get off topic, what name/style is your windage adjuster with the 8 position holes?)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Here's my setup on my Colt 6721 with Denny's Guns middy chrome lined barrel, standard FSB, KAC folding BUIS and the EOTech mounted directly on the upper rail.

ArnisAndyz,

I bought my EOTech 551 from C4iGrant of G&R Tactical at a great price about three weeks ago and I like it a lot specially for close work.

I'm just trying my setup for now and mounted it directly on the upper receiver rail and it's center cowitness this way.

I prefer a folding rear sight for a better view of the dot sight and target and I don't mind the fixed front sight because it's always ready.

I might have to breakdown and get a LaRue mount soon to improve my field of view and still cowitness at the lower 1/3 of the optic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/ColtOperatorMidEOTech.jpg
Here's my setup on my Colt 6721 with Denny's Guns middy chrome lined barrel, standard FSB, KAC folding BUIS and the EOTech mounted directly on the upper rail.

Is that a comp or FS?  It looks like an HK FS.

TS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have mine on a flat-top and a YHM flip front sight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/ColtOperatorMidEOTech.jpg

Is that a comp or FS?  It looks like an HK FS.

TS

It's a Phoenix FS similar to a Smith Vortex except the front of the slots are closed.

They sell them at the Equipment Exchange boards.

Here's a not a very good picture of it when I was mocking it up before I assembled it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I mounted mine directly on the flat top. I use a #40 ARMS. After I dialed my irons in I leave the rear sight up, turn on the Eotech, and adjust it to where the dot sits right on top of the front sight post.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#15]
i prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness that you get with the larue qd mount

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have mine like lots of other people....directly on the flattop (blue loctite on the mounting screws of both the EOTech and the ARMS #40L BUIS, since both of them worked themselves loose fairly easily under any sort of sustained use.)

I was dubious about it before I mounted it, but I honestly don't notice the front iron in the sight picture.  I rather prefer the fixed front sight, since it's a matter of a quick flick to bring up the rear sight if something happens to the optic.  (Although in all honesty, if the optic is damaged enough to be inoperable, you probably would be too.)  And yep, I use mine for range work, or civil defense if the need arises.  If my duties require it, my employer will issue me one with a happy switch on it (though probably  with less quality accessories)  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm new to AR-15's, but I'll throw my $.02 worth into the pot, for what it's worth.

I went with absolute co-witness.  I have a ARMS 40L (SP) BUIS behind my 552, and a Troy Fold down Front site in front.  Both can be easily flipped up if needed, but are out of the way otherwise.  

I asked similar questions when I was building mine.  I got a lot of help from the "big bad BUIS thread", and from the other good folks here.  I was concerned about the front A tower interfering with my "field of vision".  Some said you won't notice, other said it bothered them.  Everyone agreed I should try it with the A tower installed and decide.  Which is what I did.  It bothered me, so went with the Troy front site.  

I like this set up because once the rifle is sighted in, then everything lines up, and the Iron Sights are there if I want them.  Out of the way otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mine is as far forward on the existing flatop as possible, without actually touching the handguards (and it's very close). I don't raise it at all, and it co-witnesses with my ARMS #40 BUIS. The EOTech is designed for faster target aquisition than using just irons, since it's only one thing to line up (the dot w/ target) versus irons (rear & front w/ target). You don't have to see the irons to hit your target with the EOTech, so I keep my BUIS folded down until needed.

Pic:

www.interintense.com/tacticalcorner/m4a3_digi_close.jpg

Mine is set-up exactly like this (ARMS #40 included) except I have the EOTech mounted one slot further to the rear so I can get the handguards off.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Do you set it up to co-witness with the irons? Yes

Do you use a riser to set it slightly above the irons (so the irons are visible in the lower part of the EOTech?  No

Or do you remove the front and rear irons completely?  Flip-up front and rear sights - both from YHM

How did you set it up and why do you like it that way?  I like it that way beause it gives me a clear unobstructed view (without having to raise the EOTech), but I still have the irons available for backup.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top