Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:45:41 AM EDT
I am looking for a carry handle to put on my RRA/CMT M4 build. I have seen a CMT A3 carry handle, and a RRA A2 carry handle advertised, on different websites, and wanted to know if there was any meaningful differences. Why is one called A2, and the other A3? On this build I am using a CMMG Mod4 barrel with an “F” marked FSB.
MB
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I reckon the A2 "detachable carry handle" is called thus because of the A2 sight which is on it (vs the older A1).

Never heard of an "A3" DCH, but suspect they named it that simply because it fits an A3 model flat-topped AR15/M16.....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The "A2 carry handle" is integral to the upper.  I don't know how you could use it on anything else but the rifle it came on.

The detachable carry handle belongs to the M16A4.  The M16A3 is just a fully auto (no burst mode) M16A2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure he meant "A1 vs A2."

Check out the March SWAT magazine. They have a feature article on the SLR15 which utilizes the A1 carry handle. I think they even have a website.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The "A2 carry handle" is integral to the upper.  I don't know how you could use it on anything else but the rifle it came on.

The detachable carry handle belongs to the M16A4.  The M16A3 is just a fully auto (no burst mode) M16A2.

The M16(series) is the military designation for the AR15 family of rifles... and as such, has no bearing whatsoever on the marketing names for civlian products manufactured by any of several companies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The M16(series) is the military designation for the AR15 family of rifles... and as such, has no bearing whatsoever on the marketing names for civlian products manufactured by any of several companies.

Yup...Bushmaster calls their flat tops A3's.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that.  But the military terminology is STANDARD, which gives everyone a language that isn't prone to confusion.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that.  But the military terminology is STANDARD, which gives everyone a language that isn't prone to confusion.

Really? Good thing you came along to clear that all up... what STANDARD is that *military* lingo anyway? MIL-STD-1464A? MIL-STD-1661? Of course you know the difference between M and MARK right?

Good thing using that language will not get anyone confused... silly me. So you want  sight, A1 right... that is the carry handle modle right, windage and elevation adjustable?

What, of course it is, M4A1 removable carry handle... Or maybe you mean M4A1 Sherman Tank? In that case the sight will be a tad different I am sure.

Hang on... is this confusing?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
To muddy the waters, Colt calls at least some of their flat tops "A3s."  E.g., the AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine (model # AR6721).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Good thing you came along to clear that all up... what STANDARD is that *military* lingo anyway? MIL-STD-1464A? MIL-STD-1661? Of course you know the difference between M and MARK right?

Good thing using that language will not get anyone confused... silly me. So you want  sight, A1 right... that is the carry handle modle right, windage and elevation adjustable?

What, of course it is, M4A1 removable carry handle... Or maybe you mean M4A1 Sherman Tank? In that case the sight will be a tad different I am sure.

It might be confusing to you, but it's pretty clear to me when someone says here's an M16A4 carry handle.

But what do I know, I only spent six years in uniform.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you use the complete military designations.

There's an obvious difference between:
carbine, 5.56 mm, M4A1
and
medium tank, full track, 75mm, M4A1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the A87 handle!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#12]
A3/A4 are interchangeably used in the commercial market, in conjunction with the AR-15 designation, to describe a flat top upper.

I am not sure on the exact differences between the CMT A3 DCH and the RRA A2 DCH. Be aware that there are different rear sight thread pitches, and different rear sight heights on the DCHs! Some sights are "high" and are usually the "Mil-Spec" DCHs like the Colt. These require a F FSB or a taller front sight post to zero properly.

The "Com-Spec" DCHs will work with the standard A2 FSB. My DPMS appears to be a "Com-Spec" DCH with the rear sight height that will work with the A2 FSB. It's otherwise a forged handle, with machined rear sight components. The only drawback is that the thread pitching coupled with the shorter sight height only allows elevation wheel adjustment to 500m. I have heard that Bushmasters allow adjustment to "6/3". I do not have measurements of Bushy DCHs and when asked, several people selling them on the EE had no idea what I was asking about. I decided to buy another DPMS DCH since I know what to expect.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top