Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:22:29 AM EDT
I'd seriously like to hear the opinions of others here concerning their experiences and critique of the AR-15/M-16 rifles in arctic and semi-arctic conditions, such as in Alaska.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Surely there are AR-15 guys here from Alaska?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#2]
With proper handling the AR is no worse or no better than any other firearm. Neglect it and it will fail you eventually. The most likely failures are selector and mag release freezing up, and if you are really careless, failures to feed, extract and fire.

I've ran mine in the cold without problems, but the coldest I've ever been out with an AR is probably only -25F.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
damn dude that wolf is huge!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont you know ARs arent supposed to work in extreme coldThat wolf is huge man we should save this pic next time some one wants to know how effective 5.56 mm is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#8]
That Canadians hosted the cold weather portion of the 5.56 NATO acceptance trials in the late 1970's.  Word is they were impressed with the M16A1's performance there, and ended up adopting it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Should certain lubes be used or avoided in -20*F and colder environments?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
UgashikBob, seems like I've seen them pics somewhere else....

You don't consider the tropical weather you got down there to be cold do you? LOL

Hey do you still have those pics of your "range"? The one with your AR on a table next to your bedroom window?

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted a thread a month or so back discussing AR's in cold weather.  
Click Here

but DAMN....

that's a big pooch!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Great looking wolf......and AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

There's an ammo joke in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's an ammo joke in there somewhere.

I normally only lurk in the Tech forums.....but
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I met a guy last month who was going to the Arctic Circle to hunt polar bears. When he said that, I immediately thought about LAW(Lubricating, Arctic Weapons) and how he could score me some...Unfortunately he was taking a Browning A-Bolt and he was going to use graphite powder, which is bad for steel to aluminum contact surfaces like in AR's...

What made me really sick was this was going to be his third hunting trip to the Great White North. He hunted muskox in Canada last year and moose in Alaska the year before that. I forgot what caliber he was going to use. He told me all the tricks I have learned from here, like keep your weapons outside so they acclimate..

On a totally unrelated note it's been so warm this week, we were able to take the top down on our convertible the last few days. We had freezing rain last week. We'll probably get snow next week.

If I get some LAW, it would be purely for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Good enough for the Koninklijke Landmacht, so no worries. It works in the Cold just fine
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Having grown up in Minnesota, and spent countless days up on "da range".......

NEVER LICK THE BARREL !
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine has worked just fine in -10 degree weather.

Just make sure to use CLP sparingly.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The number two rule after using a low temp appropriate lube is to not take the weapon inside into the warm where it sweats and then take it where it freezes again.

Did you shoot that thing with Wolf ammo?

That reminds me of a personal story.  Wolves can get friggen HUGE.  I had one around that size (I've never seen a dog that big up to that point or since!  It reminded me of a small horse!) charge me at full sprint once when I was 17 (6'1") only to turn away/veer off 4ft from me.  I think part of it was because I stood my ground (it was not intentional -- I was so paralyzed I couldn't even wet myself) and that he wasn't COMPLETELY wild, but he sure as hell wasn't domesticated.  If I had to guess I'd say he was born into captivity the child of a captured wild wolf, but I really have no idea as to his history.  That was not the first time I thought he was going to attack me that night, and he had already nipped me a few times, but it was the scariest.  If I had ran, it would've triggered his instinct and he would've mauled me for sure.  Oh, and a Wolf that size can cover dry ground like no ones business.  He went from standing stationary 20-25 yards away to 4ft from me in no time flat.  Even if I wasn't paralyzed there was no place for me to go in that amount of time.

I love wolves, they are truly impressive, majestic creatures and I personally would never harm one except out of necessity (self defense, survival food, etc.).  But, I guess you have to be to out run, out maneuver and take down such huge game with big antlers and sharp hooves using only your teeth.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep my AR fairly dry when shooting in sub freezing temps
Shot my 243 WSSM AR earlier in the week at 7 below
Went back the next day and it was 17 below

No FTF, just cold as shit
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm very interested in hearing peoples experiences with heavy (for instance H2, H3, 9mm, MGI, Enidine or AAC) buffers in extreme cold.  Do they prove to be too heavy for the gun to cycle?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm very interested in hearing peoples experiences with heavy (for instance H2, H3, 9mm, MGI, Enidine or AAC) buffers in extreme cold.  Do they prove to be too heavy for the gun to cycle?

Mine worked fine with 9mm buffers in a carbine and mid-length at the temp I posted above.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#27]
The Danish military unit that operates in northeastern Greenland (the Sirius Patrol) does not use any automatic rifles, because they have been unrealiable in the extreme cold and harsh weather (and not powerful enough against polar bear anyway).

They use bolt-action rifles - I forget which model, but likely based on the Mauser action.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine worked fine with 9mm buffers in a carbine and mid-length at the temp I posted above.

WIZZO

Good to know, thank you.  By -10 degrees you mean Fahrenheit right?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Down here in the tropics I rarely hunt past -15 but do admire anthing and anybody that can perfrom consistently under those conditions. I use all reloads and policing your brass in the snow is interesting. Run a pretty dry gun with only lite coating of CLP. Keep the weapon cold before and after use to avoid moisture problems. Use a gundrom on the barrel for those unexpected tip overs.
Over the years have taken several wolves with the 223 and when good bullet placement was possible it did the deed but have switched to the 6.8, 6.5G and 260. A year ago I took a large male with the first two shots from a 223 being in the head and center chest at 100 yards and 5 hits later it went down. When I am shooting at a running animal I am shooting at a running animal and those that claim they can choose shot placement under those conditions need to put on a demo for me to believe it. That is the reason I want more smoke than the 223.
The AR platform was made to be abused and has served me well on the back of a snowmobile,atv or argo.
Regarding wolf size I am 6' and 210lbs and the photos may give the appearance the wolves are larger than they really are. A lot of fur.  In spite of what you may have seen on other cyber show and tells it takes a hell of wolf to weigh over a 100 pounds when there is a real scale attached to it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Good to know, thank you.  By -10 degrees you mean Fahrenheit right?

Yup.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The Danish military unit that operates in northeastern Greenland (the Sirius Patrol) does not use any automatic rifles, because they have been unrealiable in the extreme cold and harsh weather (and not powerful enough against polar bear anyway).

They use bolt-action rifles - I forget which model, but likely based on the Mauser action.

[ARFCOM hunter] BUUUUT with proper shot placement a AR will kill anything!!![ARFCOM Hunter]

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Get Sirius:

The standard rifle of the Sirius Patrol is the commercial Winchester Model 70 which chambers the US 30-06 Springfield.[2]  This non-NATO round was chosen because of its popularity among Inuit hunters in Greenland. The rifle itself, known in Danish Sirius Patrol rifle - the Gevær M/53  service as the Gevær M/53, was chosen for its very reliable bolt- action – like the old Lee-Enfield used by the Canadian Rangers.

I was suprised by this.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/id-arcticviking4sb-1.htm

The information above as well as a picture of the rifle is shown in the middle of the above page.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I found that here in Minnesota, it is all in the lube you use. CLP gels up and can cause malfunctions.
In the winter I have used as very light coating of transmission fluid and militech-1 with no problems at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top