Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:21:11 AM EDT
I notice how many dozens of "armchair commandos" here talk so much about their "SHTF day", and how to use the AR in so many combat situations.

How many people here actually use the AR/M16 for duty work? Police, military?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]

it's like i tell my girlfriend when i'm tired:

"toy now, tool later..."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Using an M16A2 as my costant companion for around nine more months in Baghdad.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Although I picked the choice of just shoot it at the range, and keep it around for home defense....

There is a big difference in the levels of self defense preparedness that many of us are at. I'm not nearly as as some, but I do have the tools, and the ammo to mount a pretty serious defense if needed.

Tack
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked the Range. I don't seriously think TSHTF will ever happen. But if it does my armchair has monster offroad tires on it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Duty, and here's my logic.  I'm not in the military (yet) or law enforcement, but I consider it the duty of EVERY American to be prepared to defend the Constitution to the best of his ability, should the need ever arise.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I picked the Range. I don't seriously think TSHTF will ever happen. But if it does my armchair has monster offroad tires on it.

Im somewhere along this line too. I got the AR just in case I ever did need it. But I did get a DCM model, as 99.99% of the time I plan to use it at the range. As for my ammo stash, only about 1.2k.  I dont expect a "SHTF" day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
So because I don't use it for work I'm an armchair commando?

What was your choice?

I choose option 3,4 and 5.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I laugh at this.  A friend of mine was/is an arm chair commando.  He bought his two AR15s a few days after 9 Sept.  His story is this.  After the attacks, he visits local gun shop.  Tells them to give him the "best" AR15 money can buy.  

Store sells him a Colt 20in A2 Hbar.  He buys that.  Next he gets a Colt M4 and throughs on an Aimpoint.  He buys at least 1000rds of their second most expensive ammo.  He told me he dumped around 3000grand that day.

He buys surplus 30 rd magazines.  They jam too much.  He hopes online.  Drops 30 bucks per magazine.  Buys like seven of them.

A few years later, I meet him.  I later find out about him owning a few AR15s.  I'd been interested in getting an AR15.  I traded some tuning help on a car chassis dyno for a chance to fire his AR15s.

After firing his M4 a few months ago.  I bring fruit, vegetables and bottle water to shot.  He is amazed  at how fun it is to shot things other then chipmunks and paper targets.  He confess to not firing his M4 in over two years.  I'm sure the Hbar hasn't been fired much either.

I started saving money up.  Tax return comes and I'm off.  I bought a used Bushmaster.  He donates his junk magazines to me.  Friend at work, a marine was just looking for an excuse to buy an AR15 too.  So along with me, he buys one too.

Now my armchair commando friend is now fully excited.  He never had anybody to shot with before.  last week the three of use went to a range on private property.  We burned off 500rds of ammo and shot things from clay piegons to golf balls, to propane tanks to paper targets.

Now I'm working him over to shoot longer then 50yrs.  I'm been challenging him to try shooting over 200yds at the public range.  Its time to turn this arm chair commando into a really shooter.

later
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What was your choice?

I chose "Just shoot it at the range, and keep around for home defense", because you dont use it for work doesnt make you an armchair commando.

IMO here are some of the characteristics of the armchair commando:
Acts like an expert on CQB yet has never even been on a training course or in a kill house.

Claims to have infinite knowledge of battleground tactics and urban warfare yet hasnt been in either situation.

Rigs up his rifle with every imaginable accessory even though he/she never uses them and only uses the rifle at the range.

Constantly ponders the best "SHTF" ammunition and how it will fragment in different parts of the body and different ranges, despite only shooting at the range.

Stresses how important it is to practice your "bump firing" technique because it is so useful in tactical situations.

Im sure there are a dozen more people can come up with here!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]
PD here
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was your choice?

I chose "Just shoot it at the range, and keep around for home defense", because you dont use it for work doesnt make you an armchair commando.

IMO here are some of the characteristics of the armchair commando:
Acts like an expert on CQB yet has never even been on a training course or in a kill house.

Claims to have infinite knowledge of battleground tactics and urban warfare yet hasnt been in either situation.

Rigs up his rifle with every imaginable accessory even though he/she never uses them and only uses the rifle at the range.

Constantly ponders the best "SHTF" ammunition and how it will fragment in different parts of the body and different ranges, despite only shooting at the range.

Stresses how important it is to practice your "bump firing" technique because it is so useful in tactical situations.

Im sure there are a dozen more people can come up with here!

Nope, you covered it pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
range and home defender
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I heard the chicks dig it............someone lied to me

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
For Duty.

I know it's kinda weak, but we mostly use blanks/MILES 2000 in our training.
We use the M4, 16A2, GAU-5/GUU-5P, M249, M60, M14 and AK-47s.
We live fire probably twice a year with a rifle and M9 pistol.

Full auto with blanks is fun, but it's not worth the mess of having to clean all of that carbon.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not a paranoid survivalist wacko by any means, but after hurricane season last year SHTF in Houston doesn't seem nearly as unlikely to me as it used to.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have it as a patrol rifle, but it also comes in handy when people make 5-choice polls.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Great question & thread
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
mil
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a coupla that are rigged for the situation I hope to never be in but I do carry my truck AR all the time on the ranch.  I have had to break up rowdy worker parties/fights and quite a few coyotes have gone down to her as well.  I don't pull it out but its nice to know its there if I need her.  I take that back she did hold a coupla crack heads at bay while the police came one time.  They were pretty admit about ripping off our shop.  So yes I do use her and I have thrown one the others in from time to time just to stay familiar with them.. I shoot about 250+ rounds a week whether its just punching holes in paper or upending a coyote. Durning harvest time here things can get pretty crazy in the labor camp and with the sheriffs usual time of 45 minutes response I like to know I at least have a chance of being alive when they arrive.   As for SHTF I must agree with the above statement with what happened in LA, Now Orleans and Texas who really knows anymore?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I use one for duty as a LEO. I see a few anti LEO threads posted occasionally on this site by people assuming that we (LEOs) all think we should be the only ones to own ARs.  If I lived with that reasoning, and I was getting my ass kicked on the side of the road, then would I want to have a citizen stop and help me or wait until a LEO happened to be driving by? Its everyones' responsibility to be community caretakers," so we all should be armed and prepared to assist anyone at anytime.  As far as I'm concerned, there are no Armchair Commandos, just people who haven't been put into a nasty situation yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Being a USMC Vet, I fell in love with and learned a respect for the M16/AR-15.    It was natural to add one to my collection.   I enjoy High Power match shooting, but now want to add some type of action shooting (3 gun, etc.) to the weekends, so I added a carbine to my collection.
I am not against being prepared for personal defense and I can't fault anyone else for collecting and firing weapons for the pure enjoyment of it, but alot of the SHTF crowd needs to add another hobby to their life.   A competent 20" A2 shooter will outshoot a uber-tactical keyboard commando.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Its everyones' responsibility to be community caretakers," so we all should be armed and prepared to assist anyone at anytime.

I sure wish our Governor here in Wisconsin shared our philosophy regarding this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Private security.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
well....once we had druggies on our protperty working it up...didnt have a gun yet...just a voice and my unlce's big stature to keep the crack heads at bay till deputies arrive....never again
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm actually getting mine in an essence for military usage...however my ar will never be my service rifle. I'm in the guard and I'm getting it to keep on top of my shooting skills for when that day comes that TSHTF in the sand that I'll be confident in my skills because I kept up on them.

HOOAHhug.gif
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Been a member for a while, but just saw this thread.  Dont know if anyone even reads this thread but here goes...As the screen name implies, up until 1 Oct 05, was an SF Officer so checked military.  Prior to that was in the 82d Airborne.  Used a M16A1 during Operation Urgent Fury, Grenada 1983, a M16A2 during Operation Just Cause and Desert Shield/Storm with the 82d.  Used an M4 during three deployments to A-Stan and one to Iraq with SF.  I own my own M4 (Colt Comp HBar lower, M4 upper) and a V-22 Upper to shoot .22 at the local indoor range.

I have always been a fan of the M14, but have no complaints about the Black Rifle, with the proper ammunition and a responsible amount of maintenance (environment dependant) it is reliable, accurate and lethal.  I am familiar with all the arguements, horror stories and war stories regarding multiple-hit, non-stops, and all that were verifiable (I worked at SOCOM in the next office over from research and procurement who were looking into the "issue") involved the M4(14.5" barrel) and Green Tip Ammo.  Keeping in mind the USMC politic'd for the Green Tip to go with their M16A2's with the 20" barrel and when launched out of a 14.5" barrel, it has drastically different ballistics...all of which led to the adoption by some units of the 77gr Black Hills ammo originally earmarked for the SPR program.  

So, now that I am retired, I repel the hoards of cardboard insurgents that constantly attempt to infiltrate the firing line at the local range and have been successful to date in preventing them for getting to the firer side of the line!!!  In fact, as soon as I hit send, its off to the "Front" to engage another batch of 200 "terrorist!"

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I use one for duty as a LEO. I see a few anti LEO threads posted occasionally on this site by people assuming that we (LEOs) all think we should be the only ones to own ARs.  If I lived with that reasoning, and I was getting my ass kicked on the side of the road, then would I want to have a citizen stop and help me or wait until a LEO happened to be driving by? Its everyones' responsibility to be community caretakers," so we all should be armed and prepared to assist anyone at anytime.  As far as I'm concerned, there are no Armchair Commandos, just people who haven't been put into a nasty situation yet.

I wish you could send a letter to our attorney general, governor, and a few other politicians here in NY state. We are about to have an assault weapons ban that makes the california ban look like a pussy cat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Prison perimeter security with  issued Colt A-2, Colt CAR-15, and Rem.870.  I thought that it would be wise for me to be able to be able to hit a man sized target from 50-300 yds. due to being assigned to tower and roving patrol duty at night most of the time.  I bought/built one of each over time to keep my skill level up using iron sights only. Most folks don't know how small a normal sized man looks at 300+ yds, much less when they are moving and you are 80ft. up in a tower. I must confess though that I bought a 20'' flat top too and am slowly tricking it out. I guess that would be my "armchair" weapon. The A-2, 20" and the CAR are reserved for pratcice with the issue sights. However if the SHTF, I would go with my Arsenal SA-M7, 7.62 AK. Sorry for the blasphemy!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Armchair commando here.  But I do watch 24 religiously!!!  So obviously I'm an "operator".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Ex-mil.
Still under the DoD umbrella now.

Fix em, carry em, shoot em.  Built one for the house just because I can't cover all the entry points with booby traps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Though longer an active LEO, protecting my friends, family and neightbors is still my "duty". Nothing says a SHTF day has to be a major event affecting hundreds or thousands of people.  It just has to be a SHTF day for YOU.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Carry as a duty weapon.  Do not know what I would do without it.hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
you didn't have a choice of mil police.......................

I also have one (M4 type) for a personal defensive weapon that is mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
<<<<<<<<<<< Avatar says it all....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Used to use one for duty work.  Until I did I couldn't stand them, now they are spawning in my safe!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I am in a Guard infantry unit, prior to that I was active duty USMC.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I used one in the USMC, and now as a cop.  Looking forward to one day being an armchair commando (or chairborne ranger as it were, if I can make it through the school).  Having to shoot/carry one somehow makes it less fun than getting to for some reason.  For some reason, I see shooting in competition as fun, and shooting at work as - well - work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree with Tactical 223.  I too use one for duty, keep it in the front seat.   I was raised around guns and have not always been a LEO.  I firmly believe in the right to bear arms.  I grew up plinking with my BB gun, and .22LR.  I never once thought of taking it to school and shooting anyone.  I have never agreed with gun control of any type accept the ones that deter criminals from owning them.  Most people are just on the gun control band wagon because they are uneducated about them and in there eyes it seems right.  Funny though how most of these people are "educated".  

A local business owner in my town puts stupid sayings up on his sign all the time and he thinks he is funny.  Today I read his sign and it read "if we can ban candy that is named after marijuana, then why can't we ban guns".  This is a prominent business owner in my town and i know several people at my job that give him business.  I wish I could stop in and tell him how stupid his statement is.

Sorry had to vent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As far as I'm concerned, there are no Armchair Commandos, just people who haven't been put into a nasty situation yet.

I concur... to an extent.  There ARE armchair commandos, but just because you aren't .MIL or LEO doesn't make you one.

I'm LEO.  I carry an AR every day to work.  However, there are PLENTY of folks around here who have never carried one for work who can use an AR more skillfully than I ever will.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#41]
My hats off to all the LEO, military, and anybody else who protects us all. And a special thanks to those mil and LEO here who have expressed the need for us to have theese assult rifles too.

I wish the jackass governor, attorney general, assembly, Clinton, and Schumer jackasses here in NY would listen to you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
While I use them for work and fun, I think any reason for owning one is a good one!

Unless done so illegally!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Where is the option of just because i can, I was giving a right by this country's founding fathers, I use all my other rights, freedom of speech/religion/press, why not use this one. There is a good chance that becuase of my career goals ill get to use of for "duty" but as of right now I have it because i enjoy shooting, and i can
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have it as a patrol rifle, but it also comes in handy when people make 5-choice polls.

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd have to say in past tense.......but that was the initial reason that I carried one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Armchair commando......................HEY I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I a full time Officer and I've been issued to carry an AR-15, H & K UMP 40, Rem 870, Orange Rem 870, Taser, & Sig 226, for work.  I also own a Bushmaster Carbine, and several other guns.  I'm very lucky to been able to play with these weapons.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#48]
For Duty:

Carry a Colt 6520 in the cruiser everyday at work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Range shooter and guardian of the house here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top