Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
Its been quite a while but I know I have seen a post with detailed instructions on removing an Armalite muzzle brake. Could one of you fine gentlemen (or maybe not) please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The dremel split and peel method worked for my ar 10. Basically put the upper in a vice...protecting it with a towel...so you don't scratch the bbl...whip out the dremel with a ton of those cutting discs..Cut the thing vertically.... top and bottom all the way back to the bbl...or as close as you can. being carefull as you reach the threading(depth wise)....as you cut it....take something like a claw hammer and pry it apart....I split mine a little too early and it broke into four pieces.. It's not hard, be careful, take your time...wear some safety glasses...it'll make a mess... I think it took me about 1/2 hour and like ten discs to complete. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The dremel split and peel method worked for my ar 10. Basically put the upper in a vice...protecting it with a towel...so you don't scratch the bbl...whip out the dremel with a ton of those cutting discs..Cut the thing vertically.... top and bottom all the way back to the bbl...or as close as you can. being carefull as you reach the threading(depth wise)....as you cut it....take something like a claw hammer and pry it apart....I split mine a little too early and it broke into four pieces.. It's not hard, be careful, take your time...wear some safety glasses...it'll make a mess... I think it took me about 1/2 hour and like ten discs to complete. Good luck.

To add to ths split method instead of killing a crapload of cut off wheels use a bendh grinder or belt sander to remove the majority of the metal then you can finish with the cut off wheels. Or just find a buddy with a lathe and turn that clinton era abomination off
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, once you have it off is it threaded? thread size? where can I get brakes/compensator or flash hidder to fit the 308? I want to remove mine but wanna use something else.    Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok, once you have it off is it threaded? thread size? where can I get brakes/compensator or flash hidder to fit the 308? I want to remove mine but wanna use something else.    Thanks

Well if you see 2 pins showing then it is pressed on, if you so no pins then it is threaded underneath
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I see only one, about 5/16" dia dead center of the bottom. 2" over all length. pin center is 3/8" from breach end of compensator. If threaded what size did they use? 5/8x24? or 28?
Thank you...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]

This is how I cut it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top