Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 10:33:24 AM EDT
I am doing the do-it-yourself paintjob and have a few questions.

I am using Rust-O-Leam Camoflage paints and Helmsman Spar-Urethane. Painting the upper, lower, FF HG, M4 stock, & FSB.

For the curing, can I bake the  rifle in the oven, and at what temperature? I am using Colt 4-pos stock and TDI/CAA cheekweld & standard A2 grip for the plastic parts.
Just lay it on the rack, or on top of tin'foil, cookie sheet or?

If I can bake it for curing, should it be before or after Spar-urethane is applied?

I'm thinking 5-7 coats of Spar-urethane, too much, too little?

How will this finish hold up? I have read it is pretty durable, anyone with experience?

Any suggestions for increasing durability?

I'm painting 2 mags also, I'm removing the follower and spring, can I leave on the Magpul Ranger plate? Leave it on the oven?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you need to bake those paints for curing?  

I just use Krylon Matte (though I'm going to try Norrells soon) and you don't need to bake the Krylon.

5 or more coats sounds excessive to me.  I just apply a base color, then add additional colors on top in the pattern I desire.  Maybe we have different goals.

I believe the plastic will hold up for limited time at 200-250 F.  I'm not sure though, so don't rely on that.  More knowledgable people will be around shortly I'm sure.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a very good post several months ago that explained the krylon process very well, it is somewhere in the archive and the link I have does not work.  However, Bulldog Arms makes stencil kits for various cammo patterns and has good instructions on how to apply the paint and their stencils here

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for that being a lot of work to use krylon

i used the urethane stuff and it just made everything sticky, especially the plastic parts.

imo if you plan on going through all that trouble go with something else. with krylon i just layed the gun out and sprayed it, afterwards i hit it with the heat gun to speed the drying process and that was it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top