Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:24:53 AM EDT
Well I was sitting here tonight thinking of ways to customise my bushy patrolmans carbine, with stuff i alrady have.

So i have a mini mag light, Old 3-9X metal scope off of a 30-30, EoTech 552, and two one inch scope rings from the metal scope, and a set of Matech BUIS.

First, the mini mag slides right into the scope ring, and the ring can be tightened to  secure it.
1. Weapon light

Next step: I was looking at the 3 gun AR post, and seen a nice ar with some sort of red dot sight at about 45 degrees between the 12'oclock and 3 olock position on the FF handguards.  Now this is where i messed up in not getting FF HG's.  I just purchased a set of YHM 4 rail split HG's.  Now with this Piece B from bushmaster mounted on top of the HG i bought, the eo tech should be at 45 degrees to the right of 12' oclock on the HG's.  Correct?  But will it hold a zero at all?
2.  CQB sight

Next step: Scope mount
Im thinking by getting one of these for the carry handle (link) then placing the scope with the rings on it, will take care of the long distance shots.
3. Long Distance sight

So is there there any chance of this working out how I want it to?  Im figuring the EOTECH wont hold a zero.

Im also thinking about getting a cheap bipod and a pentagon X3 light with DD mount.

So what do you guys think of this setup, I already know its gonna be heavy, but hey, beggers cant be choosers.

Also, ill edit the spelling and grammer when i get more woke up thru the day when im at school.

Remember this is just stuff i have currently on the rifle or laying around the cabinet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#1]
K.I.S.S.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Its more a less for a "ranch rifle",  98 acre farm with "pest"

ratcoons, foxes, coyotes, wild dogs, any kind of wild animal that can be harm to livestock ranging from chickens to llamas to full size cattle.
about 40 animals.  about 10 different kinds

Animals for breeding, and when all is said and done, offspring get sold for $$$, $$$= more toys

But if my animals are gettin killed or infected with rabies or hurt, that equals less $$$

ETA for rakky's discombobulation: Also used as a HD gun, plinker, all that fun stuff
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
So it's basically a ranch rifle?  What's wrong with iron sights?  Why a CQB consideration?  I could see a light, even a scope, but I don't see a need to go through, wait, what?  I'm confused.

ETA
I might just need to go to bed.  Maybe it's the editing.  I don't think the EOTech mounted like that would be worth the trouble or the weight or what you'd pay to set it up like that.  Would never hold zero.  Better off getting rails.  Maglite will work for a while, but won't be much good, you'll end up getting an actual weapon light, so go ahead and start shopping.  Screw the scope.  You're shooting pests.  Who cares if you get a heart shot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]

ETA for rakky's discombobulation: Also used as a HD gun, plinker, all that fun stuff

K, not sure if it was that last beer, or your explanation, but I feel less dicombobulatedededed.  I really think the EOTech set up like that would be useless, except until maybe the first time you take it off and or bump it.  You can get good rails cheap nowadays, and spending a lil extra on a eotech mount would help the zero problem
Face it, you're screwed.  You've got BRD, and it ain't gonna end till your pockets are empty.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
i already got a YHM 4 rail on the way, that was in the original post

ETA: im looking at the gun almost looking like GOTM4's AR on this link, sight wise, except my scope would be on the carry handle

LINK
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the magnifier for the Eotech or get an ACOG . Or just stick with the Eotech..  Get a quality weaponlight, the pentagon and DD mountis much better than the maglight. If this is a HD weapon don't try to get fancy with multiple optics at the same time with the exception of say a JP or DR sight mounted on an ACOG. I like function more than the Cool factor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
How much does the magnifier cost?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]

mid to long range, and KISS.  
parts commonality galore.
removable/transferable optics.
2 is 1, and 1 is none.  

details:
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=231558

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
A few random thioughts...

Why do you want to mount a light on your AR? If you have a reason fine but don't do it just because you think it looks cool. KISS is always the best way to go. KISS does not necessarily mean a stripped down AR with no accessories. It just means it's as simply as it can be while addressing the user's needs.

A "Mag light" is not a weapon light. I think you would be almost better off with no light rather then a mag light. If you really do have a need for a weapon light and don't want to spend a bunch of cash then buy a Surefire G2 and a battery isolation head. Pentagon also makes some less expensive hand held lights that can work well as a weapon light.

I think the whole idea of mounting a scope AND an Eotech is silly as hell. Figure out what you are going to do with the carbine and then buy the appropriate optic. If you are looking for something that can do everything (close in work and some longer distance precision work) then look to some of the 1.5-4x scopes out there. They are not perfect but they are as close as you can get to a "do everything" optic. You can buy anything from a Simmons which I think costs around $100-$150 all the way up to an S&B Short dot which I think come in close to $2k.

No matter which optic you get, I think you would be better off getting rid of that A2 upper and getting an A3 flattop. If you have a collapsible stock, getting a good cheap weld is hard enough, mount a scope on top of an A2 and then it becomes damn near impossible. Not a big deal with an Aimpoint as you are just looking for minute of dead and eye alignment doesn't matter but with a magnified optic, it sucks.

Lastly, if the only thing you are going to mount to you tactical cool rail is a light setup then I suggest you do yourself a favor and take it off and sell it to help finance doing this thing up right. There are plenty of ways to mount a light to a carbine with no rail.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
OK,  I have a bushy patrolmans carbine Flat top, i have the scope already and the eotech, I need a light due to almost getting wasted by a ribid dog the other night.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top