Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
Im planning on heading down to southern Colorado for a couple days. I have buddies down their who are going to take me varmit hunting for prarie dogs, rabbits, etc. because I have never done this before. The only AR I have is a RRA 16" middy w/ removable carry handle. In fact, this is the only rifle I have suitable for varmits so this is the one I must use. My question is, will this suit me? I estimate that I will only be able to take shots within 100 yards to keep it clean and not wound. Anybody done this w/ their CQB rifle? Will I ever see prarie dogs within this range?  Do light weight varmit rounds function well in AR's other than varmiter rifles? Bullet setback a problem? Comments?

HH
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
dude if its still a 5.56 you might actualy over do it ESPECIALY on a freakin rabbit. i can make 150 yard shots on rabbits all day long. and if im correct a prarie dog is smaller than a rabbit, i've shot rabbit with all kinds of rifles(and shotguns) the only thing that doesnt make a mess for me is a .22 LR and dude even with a .22 there is still wounding(it can even get nast). if it gets he it will die. and if it gets hit with a 5.56 it will be dead on the spot. unless this is the Great White Rabbit from Monty Python. and if u want entertain ment, i will try and get the pics of rabbits i have shot with 270's, 30-30's, 300 mags. gross stuff. not as bad as 12 gauge triple 000 buckshot does though
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
and if its brush country AT ALL like south texas then u will be taking shots at rabbits within like 20-50n yards. i rarely shoot at one farther. im not sayin u cant hit one over 100 yards  cuz i can(and if i can anyone can). but chances are u wont
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
dude if its still a 5.56 you might actualy over do it ESPECIALY on a freakin rabbit. i can make 150 yard shots on rabbits all day long. and if im correct a prarie dog is smaller than a rabbit, i've shot rabbit with all kinds of rifles(and shotguns) the only thing that doesnt make a mess for me is a .22 LR and dude even with a .22 there is still wounding(it can even get nast). if it gets he it will die. and if it gets hit with a 5.56 it will be dead on the spot. unless this is the Great White Rabbit from Monty Python. and if u want entertain ment, i will try and get the pics of rabbits i have shot with 270's, 30-30's, 300 mags. gross stuff. not as bad as 12 gauge triple 000 buckshot does though

Yeah, I agree that .223 is a good round....I wasnt asking about the round, just the distance.....misunderstanding

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
no you dont understnad. you can knock out an ENTIRE SIDE of a rabbit with a .223(5.56) and it is GROSS! a .22 LR will go 150 yards no problem accuratley if you have one take it. matter a fact just freakin take both just incase you find sum giant rabbit the size aof an ape. other wise dont make a mess and use a 22LR
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
no you dont understnad. you can knock out an ENTIRE SIDE of a rabbit with a .223(5.56) and it is GROSS! a .22 LR will go 150 yards no problem accuratley if you have one take it. matter a fact just freakin take both just incase you find sum giant rabbit the size aof an ape. other wise dont make a mess and use a 22LR

Giant rabbit the size of an ape!!!!

I dont have a .22lr

Sounds gross......I really never knew a .223 was powerful enough to do that. Maybe ill borrow a buddies shot gun or something.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Giant rabbit the size of an ape!!!!

I dont have a .22lr

Sounds gross......I really never knew a .223 was powerful enough to do that. Maybe ill borrow a buddies shot gun or something.

I once hit one in the belly with a .223, and the body was cut in half, with the intestines connecting the two halves.  .22 is the way to go if you want to have enough left to eat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Your current set up will suit you fine - for now.  After this trip, you will start lusting after a "Varmint" rig, wether it be another AR, a dedicated bolt action, or something else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
After a day of deer hunting and not seeing a damn thing I saw a bunny near camp so I put away the .308 and got the smallest thing I had with me, which was a .222 rem. Long story short the biggest thing I could find was most of a back leg. the shot was from front to back. In good hunting fashin i took the antena off the truck and stabed it threw the leg and cooked it over the fire. good and tender.
223/556 is over kill if you want to eat it, if not its just good fun.

Invisible soul
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
for p dogs, out of a KISS gun, you prolly wont have the accuracy potential you need for taking them at distances which wont force them into holes.....100 yards with irons...good luck, now if your scoped and a good shot with a 16 inch blaster barrel which im assuming the KISS AR has...well, maybe...depends on how well you know the gun i would say.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny I am holding the exact same rifle you described in my lap. Mine is OD. Since it is a Flat top why dont you get yourself a scope and mount for it. I think you could get the RRA  scope mount and a Tasco or Simmons 3x9 for less than  $100.00 probably $85.00. Or you could get a Larue mount and a Luepy for higher.  What ammo are you going to shoot? I am assuming you have the 1/9 twist rather than the SS 1/8? I
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Funny I am holding the exact same rifle you described in my lap. Mine is OD. Since it is a Flat top why dont you get yourself a scope and mount for it. I think you could get the RRA  scope mount and a Tasco or Simmons 3x9 for less than  $100.00 probably $85.00. Or you could get a Larue mount and a Luepy for higher.  What ammo are you going to shoot? I am assuming you have the 1/9 twist rather than the SS 1/8? I

Thanks for the info. about the tasco and scope mount....any idea where to pick one up? The ammo I am going to shoot is any cheap varmit round that my local walmart or sportsmans wearhouse has. I saw some earlier in the week which if I can remember was 45 gr ballistic tip (I cant remember the brand).

As for accuracy....at 100 yrds i can hit a clay pigeon every time no prob w/ irons. I do think 100 will be my max though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure, but are there places (other than state or federal parks) where people do not shoot prarie dogs ?  I'm originally from South Dakota and I learned how to shoot plinkin' prarie dogs w/ 22LR.  I've shot them w/ 5.56 and the real only problem is the report.  1 shot and then its the waiting game until another "ranch rat" decides to do the "moth/flame" thing and go to that great green prarie in the sky.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
shot gun would be even worse if ur within range. the only hint i can give u with the AR is pray to god(or whoever) that u hit the damn thing in the head and ONLY in the head
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I don't think that you are looking to throw that prairie dog in the crock pot so use the .223 not the 22LR and watch'em fly. Check out this video I shot from last year PD hunting, some rabbits take one in the beaner too.

Prairie Dog vs. AR-15 Video

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not sure, but are there places (other than state or federal parks) where people do not shoot prarie dogs ?  I'm originally from South Dakota and I learned how to shoot plinkin' prarie dogs w/ 22LR.  I've shot them w/ 5.56 and the real only problem is the report.  1 shot and then its the waiting game until another "ranch rat" decides to do the "moth/flame" thing and go to that great green prarie in the sky.

I cant remember but for some reason I-25 cames into mind, like being east or west of it matters for the law. Doesnt matter to me though because we will always be on private land which is my buddies ranch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, I don't think that you are looking to throw that prairie dog in the crock pot so use the .223 not the 22LR and watch'em fly. Check out this video I shot from last year PD hunting, some rabbits take one in the beaner too.

Prairie Dog vs. AR-15 Video

cool video.  me and the old lady were cracking up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info. about the tasco and scope mount....any idea where to pick one up? The ammo I am going to shoot is any cheap varmit round that my local walmart or sportsmans wearhouse has. I saw some earlier in the week which if I can remember was 45 gr ballistic tip (I cant remember the brand).

As for accuracy....at 100 yrds i can hit a clay pigeon every time no prob w/ irons. I do think 100 will be my max though.

RRA scope mount
www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rockrivermnts.cfm?page=rra

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Generally agree.  Remove the carry handle and scope it.  Might consider a Swift scope over the Simmons-Tasco, just a little more $ but better quality.  I bet you can easily get some 300 yard hits in.  Bring an assload of ammo....really.....no, I mean really.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Update:::

I went ahead and just bought a used Tasco 3-9. Looks good! Hope it works.

Thanks for all the advise!

HH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top