Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
I tried 3 different brands of ammo.  They load fine- and the pin leaves a
dimple, but the round won't fire.  I looked at the pin and it looks good.
Any ideas?

The only Ammo that occasionally works is American Eagle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For what little it's worth, Wolf has a 20% reliability in my Colt.  I have no problems with Winchester, Remington, or South African Ball, some Old Hanson was fine as well.  Check Firing Pin protrusion, what else is there?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 7.62 upper that did the same thing yours is doing.  I bought Winchester ammo and it shot great.  it sucks because I bought it to shoot the cheap crap and it wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
do you have a competition spring kit in your lower or something like a Jp light spring. my lower had a Jp reduced tension spring in it did the same thing i put a differant lower with standard spring and same ammo shot no problem

you might try a heavier tension spring in it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting thought, I have a Jewel in mine, and it is light...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
do you have a competition spring kit in your lower or something like a Jp light spring. my lower had a Jp reduced tension spring in it did the same thing i put a differant lower with standard spring and same ammo shot no problem

you might try a heavier tension spring in it.

is the spring and firing pin the same ones used in the 5.56 Lowers? if not where would be a good place to get / order one...thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My Colt is 100% reliable with Wolf and Norinco Ammo. I would start by checking the headspace. Excessive headspace will give light primer strikes when a round does not fire. Firing pin and hammer spring are the same in 5.56mm & 7.62X39mm.
                                                                HTH,
                                                                Carey
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the comm bloc 7.62x39 requires a heavy primer hit.  AK's use floating firing pins and they often mark the primer just by chambering a round, they also have stout hammer springs.  I've also noticed 5.56 AK's, Chinese anyway, have spring loaded firing pins.

I'm new to AR's, can you get a heavier hammer spring?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont know if the colt 7.62 bolts are the same a regular ARs but on most 7.62 builds you have to file the end of the bolt down a couple of thoundanths to get reliable stikes. Check your headspace first.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top