Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 4:32:13 PM EDT
My wife bought me an AR without me knowing about it, great wife that she is.  The rifle is stamped Colt Sporter Competion Hbar and has a serial number prefix of CH, and I think is a model 6700.  I tried to use the biggerhammer web sight but my computer won't pull it up for some reason.  I also called Colt Customer Service and all the lady could tell me was that it was made in 1993.  The rifle came from a friend of ours and I don't want to ask him uncomfortable questions about a gift just yet.  I wanted to try the experts first.  Anyway the rifle came assembled from him with a 16'' M4 profile barrell and an RRA six position collapsable stock.  I found this configuration odd as he gave me what he says is the original parts to go with it.  He gave me a 20'' barrell stamped C MP 5.56 NATO HBAR with an A2 flash hider, no bayo lug and the gas tube and fsb still mounted.  He also gave the handguards.  He inclued an A2 stock with a cheekpiece that is stamped colt on one side and has a horse on the other.  Is this for real?  Also the upper is of the A3 type with removable handle.  The upper, lower, and handle seem to match as far as color and other markings.  The gun is in excellant shape as is the original pieces.  I am trying to find someone to help figure out what kind of gun this is.  Also the upper is stamped with a small C inside a square near the front towards the barrell.  

Can anyone help?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The 20" Colts came out of the box with a standard A2 buttstock, so he probably just upgraded it using a RRA M4 style stock.  Still great quality, so you should be good to go.

You have a great wife there, certainly a keeper!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know it is supposed to have the A2 stock and he included it with the gun but I've now heard someone refer to the colt's with the cheekpiece as being a "delta".  What is this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I know it is supposed to have the A2 stock and he included it with the gun but I've now heard someone refer to the colt's with the cheekpiece as being a "delta".  What is this?

Thanks

Your description of your Colt is all correct per the biggerhammer.net site.

They made a Delta H-BAR models R6600DH AR-15A2 Delta H-BAR and R6601DH Sporter Match Delta HBAR in the late '80s to early '90s which included a Colt 3X9 scope and cheekpiece.

He probably got that cheekpiece from one of those models.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The 20" Colts came out of the box with a standard A2 buttstock, so he probably just upgraded it using a RRA M4 style stock.  Still great quality, so you should be good to go.

You have a great wife there, certainly a keeper!

+1       I built My first M4 on the same rifle that You have 10 years or so ago. Back when in the mid 90s most people bought these 20inch sporters and converted them into M4s. Does the rifle barrell say CMP on it? Regardless You have IMHO the  best brand  civy M4 you can buy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Started a 6700 data base today:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=271181

The info there is not intended for beginners, so not sure it will be of much help.  If you could give us the serial number would could tell you exactly what the original configuration was.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
So is mine supposed to have all that stuff on it.  The scope, cheekpiece and barrell is it anything special?  I would like to put it back original as I have just ordered an RRA two weeks ago.  Can anyone tell me where I might find a scope and mount?  Box, manual and anything else that might go with the gun?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Great, it is CH010725. or do you want me to send it somewhere else?  And Yes, the barrell says CMP on it.  The 20'' that is.  The 16'' has no markings on it but I haven't taken the handguards off yet.  My buddy said it was a RRA.

Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So is mine supposed to have all that stuff on it.  The scope, cheekpiece and barrell is it anything special?  I would like to put it back original as I have just ordered an RRA two weeks ago.  Can anyone tell me where I might find a scope and mount?  Box, manual and anything else that might go with the gun?

Your gun is a 6700 model not a Delta model, the Delta models are different models R6600DH and R6601DH.

Your gun are not supposed to have the Delta scope and cheekpiece.

You only have a Delta cheekpiece from another rifle.

If I recall correctly the Delta models have the Delta logo markings on the lower receiver but I can't find a picture of it right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Great, it is CH010725. or do you want me to send it somewhere else?  And Yes, the barrell says CMP on it.  The 20'' that is.  The 16'' has no markings on it but I haven't taken the handguards off yet.  My buddy said it was a RRA.

Thanks alot!

The 6700 went into production in 1992, and yours is an early one, 1993 sounds right to me.

Based on your serial number:

gray finish, the upper would be flat top with no "T" numbers on to, no upper forge code, would have an odd shaped carry handle marked MMA, fence around the mag button on the right side of the lower, small front pivot pin but uses a screw on one side, large trigger pins, SPORTER half round bolt carrier carrier marked C, blue extractor buffer, bolt marked MPC with a space between each letter, lower roll marked COLT'S MFG CO. INC, has a sear block pinned in on one or both side, blue label box, peel washer for the flash hider, no bayonet lug, marked C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR with a chrome chamber, but no chrome in the bore, the front sight base does not have a "F" stamped into the left side, did not come with a check piece do dad

If that info is correct, let me know, will add your rifle to the 6700 data base

Any other questions let me know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
It all sounds correct. Except I don't know where to look for a blue extractor thing and I can tell the barrell is not chromed but where and how do look to see if the chamber is.  Sorry I'am very new to this.  The upper is a flat top with no markings and the handle does have MMA on it.  The front sight base does not have an F on the left side, but the right side has M then a small circle with R1 inside it then the number 5, sort of like this M(R1)5.  I can't find any stampings on the bolt or the carrier Iam going to check with him tomorrow to see if he changed it.  Not to doubt you, but my brother was able to pull up biggerhammer.net and he said it reffered to 6700's with serial number prefixes of CH as coming with the cheekpiece and the scope but not as delta's.  Is this wrong or did he look at it wrong.  

Thanks, I am confused but not as bad now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Your brother was correct when he saw the 3-9X scope and cheekpiece but that's for the model R6700CH Sporter Competition HBAR (select) per the biggerhammer site.

All pre-ban 6700 models have the CH serial number prefix.

The question now is do you have a R6700 or a R6700CH model.

The blue extractor buffer could only be seen if you take out the bolt from the bolt carrier and remove the extractor pin and take out the extractor, It's not hard to remove the extractor.

You could ask your friend if he knows anything about these.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
How do I find out if mine is a R6700 or an R6700CH model?  If all of them had the CH prefix?  The extractor is supposed to be the color blue?  I think I can disassemble it that far I'll try.  Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How do I find out if mine is a R6700 or an R6700CH model?  If all of them had the CH prefix?  The extractor is supposed to be the color blue?  I think I can disassemble it that far I'll try.  Thanks for all your help.

If your friend tells you that he got the cheekpiece with the rifle originally, that's one thing suggesting that it could be the R6700CH model.

Then what happened to the scope?

The blue extractor buffer is next to the extractor spring inside the extractor, you could only see it if you remove the extractor from the bolt.

Be careful with the extractor spring, it's easy to get lost.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll ask him tomorrow about the cheekpiece and scope, theres no telling.  Good guy though I think the wife got a good deal just confirmed that the 16'' barrell on the gun now is a RRA chrome lined that does not appear to have been fired just as he said.  Also got the six pos. stock. I plan on putting the colt back together and using these pieces to do my first build.  

Thanks for all your help!!  I'll try the extractor thing tommorrow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It all sounds correct. Except I don't know where to look for a blue extractor thing and I can tell the barrell is not chromed but where and how do look to see if the chamber is.  Sorry I'am very new to this.  The upper is a flat top with no markings and the handle does have MMA on it.  The front sight base does not have an F on the left side, but the right side has M then a small circle with R1 inside it then the number 5, sort of like this M(R1)5.  I can't find any stampings on the bolt or the carrier Iam going to check with him tomorrow to see if he changed it.  Not to doubt you, but my brother was able to pull up biggerhammer.net and he said it reffered to 6700's with serial number prefixes of CH as coming with the cheekpiece and the scope but not as delta's.  Is this wrong or did he look at it wrong.  

Thanks, I am confused but not as bad now.

Sounds all correct save:

If there is no C on the carrier, and no MPC on the bolt, I would not worry about the extractor thing, because that is not the bolt group it came with.

Don't know about biggerhammer, but 6700's did not come with a check piece.  The R6700CH did come with a scope though.  You would not be able to see though the scope with the old Delta check piece installed.  The check piece raised your cheek weld so you could use an optic mounted on the carry handle.  The R6700CH optic mounted to the top of the receiver, not the carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Your brother was correct when he saw the 3-9X scope and cheekpiece but that's for the model R6700CH Sporter Competition HBAR (select) per the biggerhammer site.

All pre-ban 6700 models have the CH serial number prefix.

The question now is do you have a R6700 or a R6700CH model.

The blue extractor buffer could only be seen if you take out the bolt from the bolt carrier and remove the extractor pin and take out the extractor, It's not hard to remove the extractor.

You could ask your friend if he knows anything about these.

If the biggerhammer website says the R6700CH came with a cheek piece it is incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You would have to call Colt to find out if it was a R6700 or a R6700CH, they are roll marked the came.  The R6700R came with a flat top scope mount, and a rubber coated 3-9.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]
As I recall, the Deltas all had A2 uppers, which is why the cheekpiece was necessary.  The cheekpiece was made by Cherokee and I believe they're still available (with no logo); however I remember seeing some with the Colt logo being available separately about ten years back.  The  Deltas had some additional trimmings, such as the small delta decal on the pistol grip.  Always thought that was cheesy.  Anyway...

Dav257 said his upper is an A3.  If so, that should make it one of the highly-coveted large hole flattops.  Saw one sell for almost $400 on the EE just a few days ago.

Had a couple of 6700s.  Mine were slabside green labels.  Kept the uppers, by the way.

The carry handle, if original, should be slightly different from current carry handles.

ETA:Ekie, I was responding to Alpha-Romeo3's post.  Your intervening posts added much clarification.  Shows how slow I type.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As I recall, the Deltas all had A2 uppers, which is why the cheekpiece was necessary.  The cheekpiece was made by Cherokee and I believe they're still available (with no logo); however I remember seeing some with the Colt logo being available separately about ten years back.  The  Deltas had some additional trimmings, such as the small delta decal on the pistol grip.  Always thought that was cheesy.  Anyway...

Dav257 said his upper is an A3.  If so, that should make it one of the highly-coveted large hole flattops.  Saw one sell for almost $400 on the EE just a few days ago.

Had a couple of 6700s.  Mine were slabside green labels.  Kept the uppers, by the way.

The carry handle, if original, should be slightly different from current carry handles.

ETA:Ekie, I was responding to Alpha-Romeo3's post.  Your intervening posts added much clarification.  Shows how slow I type.

Yes, the Colt marked ones were available at that time for about $70.

Based on his serial number his is a small front pivot pin.

Yep, the old MMA carry handles are odd balls, they don't mount flat on the receiver, but instead they mount on the side rails, and are a funky shape.  The set up was dropped because they could be installed at an angle and loose zero.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Based on his serial number his is a small front pivot pin.

Roger that; I didn't see your 6700 database thread until after I responded to this one.  Wish I knew the serial numbers for the two I owned.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
So i just need to find out from colt whether or not my rifle is and R or a CH?  Is this rifle a good find?  Is it supposed to have the flat top scope mount in addition to the carry handle?  I think I may have found one made by B Square on the web.  So the rifle would not use the scope mount that puts it on top of the carry handle right?

Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So i just need to find out from colt whether or not my rifle is and R or a CH?  Is this rifle a good find?  Is it supposed to have the flat top scope mount in addition to the carry handle?  I think I may have found one made by B Square on the web.  So the rifle would not use the scope mount that puts it on top of the carry handle right?

Thanks for all your help.

Yeah, you would need to contact Colt to find out if it was a R6700, or a R6700CH.  Not sure if they can tell you that on the phone though?  Never seen a box to a R6700CH, but would not be surprised if they hand wrote a CH after the model number.

Yes, both the R6700 and the R6700CH came with a carry handle.

The R6700CH came with a Colt contract TASCO scope.  The scope TASCO made for Colt were different in the the rings were integral.  This mounted directly to a flat top riser do dad mount and that onto the top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is one being sold as a R6700CH with carry handle scope and cheek piece:

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976676840.htm

I don't think it is original, the scope does not have integral rings, the ARMS mount, and I don't see the Colt marking on the cheek piece.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I found a mount made by B-Square that is stamped colt on the side.  It is supposed to mount to an A3 upper and it has integral rings.  Is this something that came with a rifle from Colt or is this an accessory piece.  I have also found an A.R.M.S mount stamped Colt that is a scope mount for the carry handle but I thought if mine was not supposed to have the cheek piece then the ARMS mount is probably incorrect.  Does anyone know.  

I asked Colt customer service for an Archive request packet and they said they would mail it to me.  Does this take a while to get back.  Is it expensive?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I found a mount made by B-Square that is stamped colt on the side.  It is supposed to mount to an A3 upper and it has integral rings.  Is this something that came with a rifle from Colt or is this an accessory piece.  I have also found an A.R.M.S mount stamped Colt that is a scope mount for the carry handle but I thought if mine was not supposed to have the cheek piece then the ARMS mount is probably incorrect.  Does anyone know.  

I asked Colt customer service for an Archive request packet and they said they would mail it to me.  Does this take a while to get back.  Is it expensive?

Thanks again.

I only remember the Colt marked B-Square mount comming with upper conversion kits offered in the 1995/96 time frame.  The Colt marked ARMS mount was offered with the Delta H-BAR.

Think a archive request is $200?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#26]
$200 dollars WOW! I don't know if I'll do that or not.  I would like to know for sure if this gun is a 6700 or a 6700CH.  Is there not anyway Colt would tell me this over the phone?  Or does anyone else have access to this info.  Sounds like we need an AR15.com person on the inside HUH?  Oh well Ya'll have provided me with way more info than I started with.  Thanks!

Dav257
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top