Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:38:30 PM EDT
I'm considering buying an AR-15 from bushmaster or a custom maker  that uses a RRA or DPMS lower and a lewis machine & tool uppers with wilson match grade barrels. I don't think that wilson chrome lines their barrels.  How important is the chrome lining?  and any other opinions on these two choices would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally wouldn't get a non-chrome-lined one.  For one, break in procedure is a lot simpler .  Is it absolutely necessarily must have required??  No.  In fact, I think accuracy is supposed to be a touch better with a non chromy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think chrome molly is suppost to give you better accuracy, and chrome lined more durability... Dont quote me on that tho...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think chrome molly is suppost to give you better accuracy, and chrome lined more durability... Dont quote me on that tho...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And you are  correct.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
go with chrome lined
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I own 5 AR's.

Two chromed
One stainless
Two Chrome Moly

No difference, They all get abused and shot to hell. None has exploded

The stainless is the most accurate followed by the Chrome moly
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrome lining is a fashion accessory for civilian use.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you plan on some SERIOUS long distance precision stuff  then go with the chrome lined.  In the long run the durability it adds is worth it.  Also maybe a little easier to resale later.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
for most folks' uses, reg. chrome moly is fine

h/w, c-l has a lot of benefits for not very much extra cost--easier to clean, more corrosion resistant, longer bbl life

i'd get chrome lined; if you want accuracy, get SS
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been down this path because I could save over $100 by going with a chrome-moly barrel that wasn't chrome lined. I went with the more expensive 4150 steel barrel w/ the chrome lined bore and chamber. Chrome is more durable and resists corrosion. It's not a fashion accessory, but its not mandatory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Chrome lining is a must for my ARs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
i like chrome lining, but my first 2 ar's where chrome moly, and they never gave me any problems.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah, you never know when the mofo who just broke into your house, who you're pointing your AR-15 at will be looking down your barrel and say: "Hey you got chrome in that thang?  Blang, blang yo!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you never know when the mofo who just broke into your house, who you're pointing your AR-15 at will be looking down your barrel and say: "Hey you got chrome in that thang?  Blang, blang yo!"

What I do know is that what lines the bore of my gun at that instant isn't going to matter one bit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been drinking again, haven't you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Evening all

From what I understand about chrone lined barrels is that

1. Resist corrosion in high humidity areas like Vietnam or the South Eastern US.
2. That Chrome is harder than regular steel and thus wear better.
3. Chrome lining is smoother than a regular steel barrel and thus should cause less resistance  to extraction of a fired round.

All that being said.  Unless you plan on being somewhere hot and humid for an extended period of time you probably wont need a Chrome lined barrel.   If you shoot alot (meaning thousands of rounds) the wear factor would be negligible(sp) since you would probably replace the barrel once your groups become too loose.  Unless you intend to treat the AR like you would an AK I doubt if you are going to keep a round in the tube for an extended period of time and thus corrosion of the cartridge would be negligible(sp).

Hope that helps some
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Spend the extra $30.00 and get the chromelined barrel
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't have sex with any AR that wasn't chromed.... LOL

I took my gun out to its first range trip a few days ago. Compared to your average SKS/AK/cheapshit saturday night special an AR even with lining is still HEAPS more accurate.

Bonus is you don't really have to break it in if you don't want to. The chrome means the throat is already pretty smooth and has a much lower chance of copper accumulating on it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Evening all
Unless you intend to treat the AR like you would an AK I doubt if you are going to keep a round in the tube for an extended period of time and thus corrosion of the cartridge would be negligible(sp).

Hope that helps some

I treat mine like an AK, live in a humid environment and there's almost always a round in the chamber.  If your AR isn't going to be a safe queen and/or range toy, get a chrome lined barrel.  You'll have enough BCG cleaning to keep you busy....

TS
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
For a range queen, you don't need(or perhaps even want) chrome lining.

But for field use, I'd get chrome lining. One less thing to have to worry about when it comes to field cleaning and maintence.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Evening all

From what I understand about chrone lined barrels is that

1. Resist corrosion in high humidity areas like Vietnam or the South Eastern US.
2. That Chrome is harder than regular steel and thus wear better.
3. Chrome lining is smoother than a regular steel barrel and thus should cause less resistance  to extraction of a fired round.

All that being said.  Unless you plan on being somewhere hot and humid for an extended period of time you probably wont need a Chrome lined barrel.   If you shoot alot (meaning thousands of rounds) the wear factor would be negligible(sp) since you would probably replace the barrel once your groups become too loose.  Unless you intend to treat the AR like you would an AK I doubt if you are going to keep a round in the tube for an extended period of time and thus corrosion of the cartridge would be negligible(sp).

Hope that helps some

Thank you for injecting reality into this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I look at chrome lining more from a "why not?" perspective.  It has definite benefits and costs very little extra compared to the price of the weapon.  It's only negative is a possible accuracy decrease.  Thus, when I buy a barrel I ask myself if that accuracy loss will matter on the weapon.  If it won't, I get chrome-lined.  Thus, I have 3 chrome-lined barrels and one plain chrome-moly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I look at chrome lining more from a "why not?" perspective.  It has definite benefits and costs very little extra compared to the price of the weapon.  It's only negative is a possible accuracy decrease.  Thus, when I buy a barrel I ask myself if that accuracy loss will matter on the weapon.  If it won't, I get chrome-lined.  Thus, I have 3 chrome-lined barrels and one plain chrome-moly.

Ditto. Any non-precision role (I.E. Most ARs) wouldn't hurt to have it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
>SNIP How important is the chrome lining?  and any other opinions on these two choices would be welcomed.

Aside from benefits of chrome-lined barrels that have already been mentioned, here are a couple more considerations:

1. Less barrel heat - The greatest amount of heat is generated from the friction of the projectile traveling through the bore. Chrome is harder and more lubricious than steel and therefore provides less resistance to the traveling projectile. Less resistance equals less friction which in turn equals less heat generation.

2. Reduced wear and impact loads for bolt carrier, cam-pin, bolt, extractor and extractor pivot pin - This is especially important with regards to short carbines over rifles because of the proximity of the gas port to the chamber. When fired, the cartridge case obturates against the chamber wall where it seals the high pressure. A carbine's gas port is located inside of the "all-burnt-range". This means that the pressure curve is near peak when the projectile passes the gas port. As the carrier begins its recoil movement, it biases the bolt to rotate and extract the case. But at peak pressure, the case is held firmly against the chamber wall, which increases the impact loads on all of the moving parts. Chrome releases the cartridge case easier than steel. And the shorter the distance between the chamber and gas port, the larger the gas port, the hotter the ammunition, the lighter the bolt carrier and buffer group, the hotter the ambient temperature, the more fouled the chamber, etc. the more important it is that one have a chrome-lined chamber.

Rifles such as Garand M1 and full length AR-15's are more tolerant of non-chrome barrels because the port is on the down-side of the pressure curve. Once the peak pressure has passed, the cartridge case can contract and lessen the load on the above-mentioned moving parts. -Hope this helps.

Geoffrey
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I definitely spend less time cleaning barrels since I went with the chrome lining. It's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I definitely spend less time cleaning barrels since I went with the chrome lining. It's worth it to me.

+1 especially if you're lazy like me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Everyone is talking about people not "needing" a chrome lined barrel.  What about WANTING a chrome lined barrel?  Why skimp?  Most people can't shoot well enough to see a difference in accuracy between the two, and the cost is negligible, so why not get one?  The barrel is the most important part of the whole firearm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Wilson 20" with M4 ramps and chrome lining - it shoots boo koo better than 'ole Sammy Colt.

Do I need it?  I dont know but I sure as hell wouldn't trade anybody for the same barrel not chrome lined even if they paid me the difference.......
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I would not buy a Chrome-Moly AR barrel without it being Chrome-lined. I don't care who made it or what it costs. For AR's it just makes no sense to not have it and the benefits are real. The reasons you typically hear for not chroming are all cop-outs IMO. The real reason companies don't do it is to cut costs.

That's my $.02 on it
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Depends on purpose.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The same could be said for AR-15s in general.

I prefer chrome lining, and if it were up to me I would have it in every barrel of every gun I own. Certainly not "needed" though, like most everything in life.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top