Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 11:14:09 AM EDT
I like to leave a couple 30 round magazines always loaded encase of home defense (as a last resort of course). Is it safe to do that? Will the rounds be damaged by doing this? Should I chnage them in and out frequently? Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They'll be fine if left loaded. There have been instances of mags loaded since the Vietnam war that were fired with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be glad to test this for you. Ship all your ammo and mags to me and I will run a test for about 10 years and let you know how the mags did.    
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
you'll be fine. i've shot mags that have been stored loaded for over five years without a problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Because Murphy shows up every once in a while, I rotate my two loaded mags every month or so.  Not cause I have to , or that I have ever had a problem, but what the hell, it takes less than a minute, and if I have not been shooting in a while, it gives me a chance to give everything a once-over.  

Ah hell, why lie, sometimes I just get the urge to fondle!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep all of my mags(27) loaded.  I just rotate them out as I go to the range.  Haven't had a problem yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Springs wear out by use, not by storage.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That seems to be the typical answer around here but its not correct. James Maccari has spent years (decades?) studying springs. He is referred to as the "Springman" and is considered 1 of the top experts in the field. I would be willing to bet he knows more about springs then any 10 people here combined. He states emphatically that leaving a spring compressed does in fact weaken the spring and that damage starts a lot sooner then you would think. If that's what he says then its a fact as far as I'm concerned.

Now the real question is, does leaving a magazine loaded cause enough damage to the spring over time to effect the reliability of the magazine? There are no meaningful studies that I am aware of that we can look to but the anecdotal evidence I've read would suggest no.

Be that as it may, I do not leave any of my mags fully loaded for any extended amount of time (1yr +). I do leave 2 loaded mags in my safe with my AR and one fully loaded in my bedroom Glock but those mags are shot and rotated on a regular basis.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
What the hell good are mags if they arent loaded.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I kept a couple of mags loaded for the whole year I was in the sand box and they functioned just fine when I emptied them to redeploy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Because Murphy shows up every once in a while, I rotate my two loaded mags every month or so.  Not cause I have to , or that I have ever had a problem, but what the hell, it takes less than a minute, and if I have not been shooting in a while, it gives me a chance to give everything a once-over.  

Ah hell, why lie, sometimes I just get the urge to fondle!

Same here, I just rotate mags every 3 or 4 months. I dont think theres an issue with storing loaded mags. Last mags I bought for my FAL were very cheap because the guy selling them at the gunshow told me his dad had kept them loaded for the past 10 years so the springs were bad. I bought them for 3$ each (for 10) and they all worked perfectly.

You should be good to go.
Besides,,,, springs are relatively cheap, even if you have to replave them in 5 or 6 years,,,, so what?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]

I leave mine loaded and ready to go!

Most of these have been loaded for over a year while the new ones where loaded up in 11/05.

tinypic.com/fpd010.jpg

I have mags that have been in there longer, but most of them I taken out to PR matches. No problems yet, by the way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I leave mine loaded and ready to go!

Most of these have been loaded for over a year while the new ones where loaded up in 11/05.

tinypic.com/fpd010.jpg

I have mags that have been in there longer, but most of them I taken out to PR matches. No problems yet, by the way.

I thought I over did it by buying 10 mags last night for a total of 12
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What the hell good are mags if they arent loaded.

+1

Keep them all loaded.  You might need them someday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems to be the typical answer around here but its not correct. James Maccari has spent years (decades?) studying springs. He is referred to as the "Springman" and is considered 1 of the top experts in the field. I would be willing to bet he knows more about springs then any 10 people here combined. He states emphatically that leaving a spring compressed does in fact weaken the spring and that damage starts a lot sooner then you would think. If that's what he says then its a fact as far as I'm concerned.

Now the real question is, does leaving a magazine loaded cause enough damage to the spring over time to effect the reliability of the magazine? There are no meaningful studies that I am aware of that we can look to but the anecdotal evidence I've read would suggest no.

Be that as it may, I do not leave any of my mags fully loaded for any extended amount of time (1yr +). I do leave 2 loaded mags in my safe with my AR and one fully loaded in my bedroom Glock but those mags are shot and rotated on a regular basis.

YMMV

By your logic, we should only single load rifles, because just compressing the spring once will cause it to fail.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
i keep my riot/battle vest loaded up with 6 mags of BH 68gr match HP.  The AR itself has another full mag of the same stuff in it.  Once in a while i test the vest mags, never had a problem yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait a minute!  What about LE who walks around with 3 loaded pistol mags all year, every year, for at least 8-10 years per pistol?  (assuming like our department you trade your guns in every 8-10 years)  My Sig has thousands down the tube, and 6 years on it.  Not one issue with our springs.  Those magazines are probably in an unloaded state for less than a day total over a whole year!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep 'em loaded.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep My 30 round magazines loaded with 30 rounds at all times. After I  get done with cleaning
I load all My mags back up so when the next  time go shooting I do not have to spend a half a hour loading. A unloaded magazine is useless
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]
shotgun mag springs go faster.  they are thinner, and they will fail if loaded for long periods.  a lot of good a loaded mag will do if it does not feed.

heres info on the cs springs
www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/speedlock/cs_springs.pdf

for storage/home defense: revolver/side by side.  or the old baseball bat or 9 iron.  personally i keep a vietnam tomahawk and maglite by the bed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I keep all of my mags(27) loaded.  I just rotate them out as I go to the range.  Haven't had a problem yet.

27 mags huh?  You got a trailer to carry them to the range? =-P

I keep all 5 of mine loaded as well.  They still feed fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
The springs will wear out but may take 100 years
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]
wont 3 or 4 mags do you guys?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Never enough mags... I want to get a quality Magazine carrying rig and get enough magazines to fill one.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

you must enjoy loading mags instead of shooting guns while paying fo range time. a have at least 8 mags for ever semi auto firearm i own. hell i have over 30 hicap g17 mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

27 mags huh?  You got a trailer to carry them to the range? =-P

I keep all 5 of mine loaded as well.  They still feed fine.

Nope.  I got a Jeep.

As far as the range goes, I rotate them using the FIFO method.  That way they all get used/tested approximately the same.  

BTW - Ammo is no good to me if it isn't in a magazine!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top