Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:37:27 AM EDT
What is the difference between a Match Trigger and a 2 stage?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
most match triggers are 2-stage, but not all 2 stage triggers are match triggers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
As Greg said, most match triggers are 2-stage.  They also tend to be more tightly controlled in machining and have more adjustment capability for things like weight and length of travel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a single stage match trigger in my AR.   A match trigger just means that it is supposed to be a higher grade, lighter smoother pulling trigger.  Just saying match trigger does not insuate two stage, unless you are talking to high power shooters.  Alot of firearms that only have single stage triggers have match triggers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a single stage match trigger in my AR.   A match trigger just means that it is supposed to be a higher grade, lighter smoother pulling trigger.  Just saying match trigger does not insuate two stage, unless you are talking to high power shooters.  Alot of firearms that only have single stage triggers have match triggers.

+1

However, after having rifles equipped with Jewell, Geissele, Rock River, and Anschutz single and two stage triggers, I have to say that the Anschutz two stage match trigger simply is in a class of its own and nothing else comes even remotely close.  Nothing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very true.  The majority, but definitely not all, match AR triggers are 2-staged.  As far as firearms in general, my experience is not enough to give any answer hehe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 As far as firearms in general, my experience is not enough to give any answer hehe.

It takes a good man to admit that!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

However, after having rifles equipped with Jewell, Geissele, Rock River, and Anschutz single and two stage triggers, I have to say that the Anschutz two stage match trigger simply is in a class of its own and nothing else comes even remotely close.  Nothing.

The Anschuetz triggers are awesome.

The only rifle I've ever shot with a better trigger was my Feinwerkbau .22 (2602 Universal) rifle.  Slightly better than a comparable Anschuetz model, but very close.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The pull on this Jard 2lb trigger I just installed is pretty damn good, I dont think I would be better served by a better trigger as, "I" personally wouldnt be able to tell the difference.  You apply pressure and it breaks no creep, no grit, it just breaks clean.  There is very little over travel as well, if it had any less it would screw up my shooting style as following the trigger back to reset is ingrained into my finger that it is how I beginning "Staging" the next shot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The only rifle I've ever shot with a better trigger was my Feinwerkbau .22 (2602 Universal) rifle.  Slightly better than a comparable Anschuetz model, but very close.

I don't know..... I used to have a FWB 2000 (earlier model of yours) and it was hard to tell any difference.  I think someone like Rajmond Debevec or  Sonja Pfeilschifter can tell the differences, but I couldn't.

Let's call it a draw...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I don't know..... I used to have a FWB 2000 (earlier model of yours) and it was hard to tell any difference.  I think someone like Rajmond Debevec or  Sonja Pfeilschifter can tell the differences, but I couldn't.

Let's call it a draw...

Agree.

To be fair, I've never had an Anschuetz and a Feinwerkbau at the same time, so any comparison of mine is based on (admittedly shaky) memory.  The only place where I THINK I could tell a difference was when triggers were set to be really sensitive - at one point I was using the FWB with a setting of a few ounces, but it was still super-crisp and sharp.  I don't remember an Anschuetz being quite as clean - but like I said, it may just be my imagination.  

Both companies make such completely awesome rifles that their high-end stuff are obviously completely equal in quality.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Prof, my Anschutz is a 1411 prone rifle.  The first stage is 3 ounces, and the second .5 oz.  Trigger travel is so smooth and friction free that I have no trouble at all feeling where the first stage ends and feeling when the 2nd is about to break.  Totally controllable and totally safe.  I have no idea how they do it....... but it is an amazing bit of engineering.

ETA: have you ever seen this Nordic hottie before?  This is still on topic as her rifle has a two stage match trigger.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Prof, my Anschutz is a 1411 prone rifle.  The first stage is 3 ounces, and the second .5 oz.  Trigger travel is so smooth and friction free that I have no trouble at all feeling where the first stage ends and feeling when the 2nd is about to break.  Totally controllable and totally safe.  I have no idea how they do it....... but it is an amazing bit of engineering.

That sounds exactly like my FWB - and sounds like I just don't know enough about Anschuetz!!  

ETA: have you ever seen this Nordic hottie before?  This is still on topic as her rifle has a two stage match trigger.

shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/003/35/E9/5D/CC/5Hn6nP6ui264OU9cvb3AVQzbeTe1wmaC0280.jpg

w00t!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have shot rifle with .8 ounce triggers before,  I just dont care for ones that light.  I guess years of shooting crappy factory rifle triggers with a pull of 5.5 lbs conditioned my trigger finger to much?  I can shoot a 2lb trigger better than a 1/2 lb trigger.  But then the kind of shooting that uses Two stage triggers with total pull weight under a 1/2 lb have never been my thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
To be fair, I've never had an Anschuetz and a Feinwerkbau at the same time, so any comparison of mine is based on (admittedly shaky) memory.  The only place where I THINK I could tell a difference was when triggers were set to be really sensitive - at one point I was using the FWB with a setting of a few ounces, but it was still super-crisp and sharp.  I don't remember an Anschuetz being quite as clean - but like I said, it may just be my imagination.  

Both companies make such completely awesome rifles that their high-end stuff are obviously completely equal in quality.  

Back when I was shooting my Anschutz a few times a week, a friend got a new Feinwerkbau.  I tried it out, and remember the triggers to be comparable.  I think the feels were a little different in stage weight, but they were comparable.  Same deal with a friend's Walther GX-1.

I'll have to pull my Anschutz out.  It's a 1407 barreled action in a modified 1410 stock.  The former owner, Olympic Gold medal winner Ed Etzel, lowered the barreled action in the stock to give the gun a balance like the Walther GX-1.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]

My Anschutz.  An oldie but goodie.  I replaced the hooked buttplate with a curved rubber one (without hook) as most of my shooting with it is prone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]
SWO....

Now THAT is a machine.... superb
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SWO....

Now THAT is a machine.... superb

And here's what it can do on days when I get it together.  Five shots, 50 meters, ISSF target, prone, sling, irons:

The innermost ring (X ring) is 5 mm (.19").  The ten ring (next one out) is 10.4 mm (.41").  The 9 ring is 26.4 mm (1.03").
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top