Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 4:07:44 AM EDT
I bought a White Oaks Armament bolt assembly and  noticed that it was slightly different from the standard bolts in that the surface texture seemed rough/porous versus the black/smooth phosphate finish.

Is this something new or is it just a different material?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
shitty qc or standards. sounds like you are describing some of the dpms bolts i have
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a cast bolt would be like a time bomb in your rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
doubt that its a cast bolt just poor machining/finishing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
doubt that its a cast bolt just poor machining/finishing.

I'm suprised something bad like that woud come out of WOA, they sseem to have very strict QC
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
if you dont buy from a reputable dealer how would you know what part came from where?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure it is a real WOA. I wasn't aware they were strict with QC. It just may be a different finish (looks brown/gray almost rather than black/matte black). There are some "cuts" in the spots behind the lugs, and the ejector rollpin hole is recessed differently. I'll try to post pics.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
My bolt that came with my beowulf is sorta like that, really rough finish, not smooth compared to my bushy bolts and delton bolts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sure it is a real WOA. I wasn't aware they were strict with QC. It just may be a different finish (looks brown/gray almost rather than black/matte black). There are some "cuts" in the spots behind the lugs, and the ejector rollpin hole is recessed differently. I'll try to post pics.

where did you buy it from?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My bolt that came with my beowulf is sorta like that, really rough finish, not smooth compared to my bushy bolts and delton bolts.

my beowulf bolt is nicely finished and nowhere near as crappy looking as some dpms bolts i have.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I started to buy more and more DPMS parts and assemblies because of the lower cost and to be perfectly honest, I didn't find much of a difference in overall quality compared to CMT and RRA.

I found this image at Midway:

Notice the half-moon cut below the extractor, right behind the lug. I have no idea what that does, but its all around the WOA bolt.

I found another DPMS bolt pic at Midway:

And that's representative of the typical RRA / CMT bolt that I've seen, pretty standard setup.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#11]

The speckling you see on the WOA isn't digital noise, that's the surface texture. I've pointed out the half-moon "cuts" and the recessed ejector rollpin hole on the WOA bolt.

I just want to know if the WOA bolt is as durable or more than the standard AR bolts. I don't care about "pretty" finishes or "pretty bolts". I'm concerned about function and durability.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the durability issue.  I just looked at one of my WOA bolts, it has the half moons and recessed rollpin, but it has a smooth appearance and feel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
The word from WOA is that the surface texture is a result of the phosphate process which causes some surface etching and is closer to mil-spec than the smooth/matte black bolts. It may pick up some brass at the beginning but it should smooth out with use. It is not cast, and its made in the USA. Sounds good to me unless anyone else sees something significant.

It works great with my CMT bolt carrier. The cam pin actually goes in/goes out with ease. With the CMT bolt, it  (the cam pin) was sort of "jammed" at the gas key and a tool is required to remove the cam pin each time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone here who thinks John Holliger (owner of White Oak Armament and White Oak Precision) is going to risk his hard-won, stellar reputation in the industry by selling substandard parts is either on crack or has an axe to gring.  Either way, the accusations carry no credibility.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anyone here who thinks John Holliger (owner of White Oak Armament and White Oak Precision) is going to risk his hard-won, stellar reputation in the industry by selling substandard parts is either on crack or has an axe to gring.  Either way, the accusations carry no credibility.

I don't think anyone here was accusing WOA of selling substandard parts. I just asked why the bolt was different. The answer was that it has a phosphate finish that gives it the surface texture. I was not aware of WOA's reputation and in retrospect, I think I made a good decision buying their bolt and may buy more of their parts in the future.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think anyone here was accusing WOA of selling substandard parts. I just asked why the bolt was different. The answer was that it has a phosphate finish that gives it the surface texture. I was not aware of WOA's reputation and in retrospect, I think I made a good decision buying their bolt and may buy more of their parts in the future.

I know it wasn't you accusing WOA of sellign substandard parts.  But someone here was, and I, being a satiafied customer, wanted to set the record straight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think some people are aware of what a fresh park solution can look like.  

metroplex-  The last Bushie barrel I got had a very nice, heavy parkerizing on the barrel, which was much different than what you usually see.  I think your bolt is probably the same thing, its not a problem in the least.  Lube it up, and go shoot it, you don't have any worries.  WOA makes a good product.

Hey you noticed that too! The Bushmaster barrel I got at the end of 2004 looked like a "normal" barrel. The 16" M4 i just bought looked "sparkly" and rough on the outside. I thought someone sprayed glitter on it at first, but since the bore was clean and the chamber was smooth and polished, I didn't think too much of it (function first before form).
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always had RRA and Bushy bolt and carrier groups, but the other day I picked up a Model 1 Sales upper for plinking and the bolt and carrier have that sparkly look to them...... I'm gonna keep it for a back up, but was just curious who supplies M1S with their BC's...????

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it wasn't you accusing WOA of sellign substandard parts.  But someone here was, and I, being a satiafied customer, wanted to set the record straight.

I read this thread a few times and can not find where any one said anything bad about WOA.  I know I said that I would be suprised if a bad bolt came from WOA because of their srtict QC.  I just bought a WOA upper receiver and can atest to their fine products
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top