Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 4:15:06 PM EDT
First built this in 1992 with all Bushmaster parts.  This is the sixth rebuild.  The prior configuration is detailed here:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=231110

Now using more USGI surplus parts.  Got a real deal 1995 USGI barreled M4 upper from Bill Davis complete with sand packed in it.  ALso replaced the buttstock, charging handle, and carry handle with used USGI parts.

Still using the Colt M4 receiver extension/buffer/spring and handguards I purchased in 1995/96. The lower parts sets is from a 1994 6551.  Lower receiver is from a MT6400C that I painted with Norrell's to match the previous upper.  

Early side swivel:

Colt did not use the F FSB for years, this one does not have it:

Gotta love the old M16A1 charging handle, nice match to the upper in regards to wear and color:

I really like this chewed up buttstock:

Am now using a Sabre Defence muzzle do dad, I like em, more info here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=270872:

Lower don't match this upper.  Also the lower parts kit is in to good of shape.  Am working up the nerve to strip the lower down, paint to match the upper, and replace the lower parts with some beater GI parts I have.

Now, if I could find some beat up modern black M4 stuff, charging handle, buttstock, RIS/RAS, grip, etc for another project......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean.  I like it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
paint it b4 the "scared to drop/scratch their rifles" crowd starts attacking you lol............j/k sweet lookin....imo rifles look so much better after they've been used and a lil rough around the edges...however i can't say that in regards to women lol (no offense to any women on the site) i was just saying i'd rather a clean girl then one that's been around the block
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Clean.  I like it.

A 727 clone would be even cleaner looking, been thinking....

Quoted:
paint it b4 the "scared to drop/scratch their rifles" crowd starts attacking you lol............j/k sweet lookin....imo rifles look so much better after they've been used and a lil rough around the edges...however i can't say that in regards to women lol (no offense to any women on the site) i was just saying i'd rather a clean girl then one that's been around the block

Ha, if I wanted it purdy could just put the like new parts back on it.  Agreed, I like them better "broke in", the rifles that is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
i like it a lot.  is that an extended A2?  i would have read but the pics caught my attention more...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ekie,
You have motivated me for my next build.
Simple and clean.  I like it!

thanks

Quoted:
i like it a lot.  is that an extended A2?  i would have read but the pics caught my attention more...

Discussed in detail here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=270872

OK, got the lower stripped down, getting ready to paint to match the upper.  Will replace the lower parts with beat up stuff...........

ETA

Lower came out to dark, try again tomorrow.......
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you give some information about Ron Smiths Jam nut and his Flash hider? I would like to know if the barrel is a SOCOM M4 Barrel or a lightweight under the handguards M4 Barrel? Please give me all the information about  this upper that you can Please? I would like to build a clone COLT upper like this using your information.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A 727 clone would be even cleaner looking, been thinking....

I have one of the M4 conversion kit uppers with the fixed handle and 16' bbl. I've been thinking for a while about doing a 727 clone and it would fit the bill.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It's good to see that some people on here have gun(s) that look as though they actually get used (and maybe even a little abused) rather than the...sealed and locked in a glass case..."norm" that I used to seeing.  Try selling that on EE for more than 100 bucks....most will just turn the other cheek...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I love your rifles Ekie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You know I really like that Sabre Defence extended flash suppresor.  I automatically thought you had an SBR it looks so good on there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it looks great  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
after you paint it you should drag it across the driveway a few times to get the worn look back
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
That is the EXACT weapon I'm carrying in Iraq right now, (except my employer prefers A2 suppressors).  Thank god I haven't had to use it.  But I DON'T feel underequipped regardless of the toy-ladden free-floated Gucci bla bla bla version I have back home in the safe.  And it doesn't break my back to hump around!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Great looking Colt Ekie!

Looks to be genuine M4. Amazing what a few details can do for authenticity- like the barrel length, CH, and the stock - which is the  most promininent difference vs todays M4.

Interesting that this configuration is already a retro of sorts..... and a damn fine one at that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#16]
So dinged up and anti-ARFCOM.

+1 for I love it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1 for I love it.

+ 87 more scratches!

great job dude
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Good looking carbine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]
It's always nice to see a well used AR!

Love it's Spartan looks...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 for I love it.

Agreed!

Great post as always Ekie!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
This looks to be one of my more popular projects.  Thanks for the compliments guys.  Finally got the lower painted the same value, or shade as the upper.  Unfortunately did not realize that the upper had as much of a blue tint as it does.  So don't like the color match.  Did "mock assemble" it.  Will try and get some pictures of that, worn mag catch, bolt catch, and such.

Not going to be able to get that blue tint with Norrell's, looks like another receiver that will be going to Victor's for anodizing.

Quoted:
Can you give some information about Ron Smiths Jam nut and his Flash hider? I would like to know if the barrel is a SOCOM M4 Barrel or a lightweight under the handguards M4 Barrel? Please give me all the information about  this upper that you can Please? I would like to build a clone COLT upper like this using your information.

Am discussing muzzle do dads here:

Will try and post info on Ron Smith's jam nuts later today in that thread.

Only have two pictures of the upper less handguards on the server:

See all the grime in the barrel nut, still there, oh yeah.  All sort of crap it in from being in the sand box.

This is a 1995 M4A1 upper apparantly issued to a SFG, my guess would be 3rd SFG.  The M4A1 was AUTO rather then BURST, and the first batch sent out in 94/95 had standard profile barrels.  Bill Davis happened to use this exact upper I have in his auctionarms ads.  So here is a link to one of them, you can see exactly what I got here:

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6976123

That was the last standard profile circa 1995 upper he had.  You can see that the front sight post was bent and dented.  It was screwed all the way to the top of the ears, no "F" FSB.  Did replace that.

Davis also had some RO921HB uppers, these were from the second batch of M4A1's, with the HB barrel:

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6748055

Also built one of those (archived, members only):

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465

Think he still has painted ones, I actually bought the one pictured in this ad:

]www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7209014&aa=%20%20%20COLT%20M4%20G.I.%20UPPER%20RECEIVERS

Here are all the threads I know of dealing with these surplus USGI M4A1 uppers (all archived):

]archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=240203

]archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=222493

]archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=233777

]archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=221351

Quoted:
That is the EXACT weapon I'm carrying in Iraq right now, (except my employer prefers A2 suppressors).  Thank god I haven't had to use it.  But I DON'T feel underequipped regardless of the toy-ladden free-floated Gucci bla bla bla version I have back home in the safe.  And it doesn't break my back to hump around!

Thank you for your service.

Quoted:
after you paint it you should drag it across the driveway a few times to get the worn look back

Only the lower is being refinished, and that is just to get it to match the color of the upper receiver.  The lower will be wore in the natural way.  Don't worry, it has not been treated well, already did nine 30 round mag dumps though this upper, and have not cleaned it since.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't know what happened to those links, here is another try:

]www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7209014&aa=%20%20%20COLT%20M4%20G.I.%20UPPER%20RECEIVERS

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#23]
sexy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]
OK, here it is now:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting note:

In this thread -->archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465,

notice the box sticker stating the warranty period of 2 years? Clearly a Lifetime Warranty would put a dent in the parts, repair contract business.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Interesting note:

In this thread -->archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465,

notice the box sticker stating the warranty period of 2 years? Clearly a Lifetime Warranty would put a dent in the parts, repair contract business.

Yeah, two years seems a bit much for a warranty on a USGI issue item that will be abused huh?  And a life time warranty would put you out of business for sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember one item that I was responsible for being returned for warranty work.  We had bedded down in some poison ivy one night (I am not allergic to it).  So all our equipment was contaminated.  One guy got a huge rash just from picking up my ruck.  So anyhow, we were told to clean our stuff up with soap and water.  Well, after that my AN/PVS-7 did not work properly, ha!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Very nice - not too retro, just lean & mean!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Elki, who welded and pinned your Sable flash hider? I like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This looks to be one of my more popular projects.  Thanks for the compliments guys.  Finally got the lower painted the same value, or shade as the upper.  Unfortunately did not realize that the upper had as much of a blue tint as it does.  So don't like the color match.  Did "mock assemble" it.  Will try and get some pictures of that, worn mag catch, bolt catch, and such.

Not going to be able to get that blue tint with Norrell's, looks like another receiver that will be going to Victor's for anodizing.

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/12202-correctmating.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/12196-firstbatchcorrect.jpg

See all the grime in the barrel nut, still there, oh yeah.  All sort of crap it in from being in the sand box.

This is a 1995 M4A1 upper apparantly issued to a SFG, my guess would be 3rd SFG.  The M4A1 was AUTO rather then BURST, and the first batch sent out in 94/95 had standard profile barrels.  Bill Davis happened to use this exact upper I have in his auctionarms ads.  So here is a link to one of them, you can see exactly what I got here:

That was the last standard profile circa 1995 upper he had.  You can see that the front sight post was bent and dented.  It was screwed all the way to the top of the ears, no "F" FSB.  Did replace that.

Davis also had some RO921HB uppers, these were from the second batch of M4A1's, with the HB barrel:

Here are all the threads I know of dealing with these surplus USGI M4A1 uppers (all archived):

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only the lower is being refinished, and that is just to get it to match the color of the upper receiver.  The lower will be wore in the natural way.  Don't worry, it has not been treated well, already did nine 30 round mag dumps though this upper, and have not cleaned it since.

Do you trust those adds?  I mean, with the internet so full of BS and dishonest people how doy ou go about trusting something like that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/12202-correctmating.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/12196-firstbatchcorrect.jpg

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you trust those adds?  I mean, with the internet so full of BS and dishonest people how doy ou go about trusting something like that?

Heck no, and good point, when I bought my first one from Bill Davis it read:

This is an original COLT M4 upper receiver (not a copy or foreign made). 14.5", 1 in 7" twist barrel with chrome molybdenum bore. Comes complete with front sight assembly, gas tube, forward assist assembly, full auto bolt and carrier (compatible with semi-auto), spring loaded ejection port cover, large pivot pin holes, original "T" Markings and removable flash suppressor. Overall finish is 98-99% and in EXCELLENT CONDITION. DOES NOT INCLUDE CHARGING HANDLE OR HANDGUARDS.I accept U.S. Postal Money Orders only. Auction must be paid in full within 5 days of closing. Email me at [email protected] with any questions. Shipping is $

That ad, and the ones following were full of errors.  For example "large pivot pin holes"?  "M4", and 98-99%?  All those descriptions do not accurately describe the item pictured.   As a rule I do not read ad type, and stick with interpreting what I see in the pictures, and this has served me well.  For example I bought an item described as an SP1 upper, but the picture showed a Model 02 barreled upper.  Big difference, so like you say, don't trust what you read, especially something as questionable as a gunbroker/gunsamerica/auctionarms ad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Elki, who welded and pinned your Sable flash hider? I like the way it looks.

Did it myself with 1,100 degree silver solder paste from Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]
How about some new Pic's ,Ekie?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How about some new Pic's ,Ekie?

That is it for now, until more work is done, may be months...........
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top