Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:02:19 PM EDT
Hey everyone. I'm a new guy to the board, decided to finally register after looking at the site for a few months, specifically admiring the picture thread of everyones AR's. i have been a shooter for 5 years and thoroughly love guns, every waking moment practically. Being 17 years old, I'm looking forward to buying an AR very soon, which leads to my questions:

1. Will I be able to buy a semi-automatic AR when i turn 18?

2. I have done some research and I have decided to go with Armalite for the company. Do they sell to normal everyday civilians?

The model I'm looking at is this one: http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a2.htm

3. Is my decision a good one? I'd like some feedback on whether or not I should make it my first AR

Thank you in advance for the help, and when I do buy, I promise to post pics, since I know everyone here likes to view them.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you live in California, you will not be allowed to buy an AR-15 when you turn 18, or any other age.

Local state laws prohibit AR's (except for ones that were registered years ago - and those have to stay with the owner that registered them).

Sorry.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I will be moving to Arizona when I turn 18, so the California crap doesnt apply. Also I have contacts with a gun store who would do the shipping and receiving part for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
In that case, Armalite is a fine brand, well-built, good finish and lifetime warranty.

Currently, there are a lot of manufacturers that make really good, high quality ARs - and they include Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, CMMG, RRA, and lots others.  There really aren't huge differences between them, although some poeple really like some over others.  

If you are asking for advice, I'd suggest a "flat-top" version (either rifle or carbine), instead of the one with the built-in carry handle you are a looking at.  With a flat-top, you can still add a detachable carry handle, but it allows you a lot more options and flexibility for optics later if/when you decide on it.

Like this:  www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a4_carbine.htm (obviously, you'd buy the scope or carry handle seperately).

Another really good option is a Rock River Arms (RRA) mid-length carbine with the flat-top.  A lot of people like those, and in my opinion, it's the best "starter" configuration, with the best all-round flexibility.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top