Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 4:01:34 PM EDT
I live in Red Lion and need a plce to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd try one of the PA State Gameland ranges.  There are, I think, 38 of them in the state.  

It might be worth the drive to go to the one that is on 944 (Wertzville Road) north of Carlisle.  You would take 83 north to 581, go west on there over to 81, go west on 81 till you get to New Willow Mill road.  Go north (right, coming off the exit) on New Willow Mill road for about a mile and you hit a light and 944.  Take a left turn (west) there, and go down 944 several miles.  You'll come to a section where 944 meets/overlaps 34, which is a left turn.  About a quarter mile after that, 944 turns away from 34 off to the right.  Keep following it, the ranges are a couple of miles further on the right.  Don't try to turn off too early on any unmarked roads leading into the gameland, or you'll just get lost.  The ranges are clearly marked.

There are signs for both the pistol range (7, 25, 50 yards) and the rifle range (25, 100 yards and a separate 200, 300 yard).  Three rounds per mag, except the pistol range which is 6 per mag.  That part sorta sucks, but it's free and rarely crowded.  Don't violate the range rules, because the officers who oversee the gameland will, no shit, hide in the bushes and try to catch you doing something, particularly on the weekend.

There is also a range on the south end of French Creek state park, but that only has a 100 and 25 yard stands.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with a closer range.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't Freedom Armory open up a new indoor range in Shrewsberry?  Or are you looking for an outdoor range?

Try this: PA Club and Range Listing

Shouldn’t this be in the Hometown Section instead of the AR Discussions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Seitzland......I think its in New Freedom.  About 20 minutes from Red Lion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I know it's a drive, but Palmya Sportsmen Association is where I'm at and it's pretty nice. Check out their website, they've got a lot to offer. I've been through 3 clubs in 3 years, this is the first place where nobody thinks I'm strange when I show up with 2-3 rifles and 200 rounds of ammo. Well, the day before deer season when I'm running mags through the AR's and everybody else is taking 3 shots and a walk downrange,but waddya gonna do?he
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This really should be in the Hometown Section

Get onto Route 74.  Keep going north.  After a while 74 will make a left turn at a light.  YOU DON'T; you keep going straight.  Eventually on the right side of the road you will see an outdoor range.  The upper is a 100 yard range for pistols, and a lower range for pistols.

If you managed to get into Carlisle without seeing the range you went too far.

I believe this is Game Lands 242, though I might have the number wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been to the one up 74 by Ski Roundtop. I don't know if I want to drive as far to the other ones. PA has a lot of ranges but that is the only one near me. I always carry a pistol at the range and never leave my rifle at the table when I check targets, I just sling it on my shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
About 15 miles south of Red Lion on 74 is Peach Bottom Fish & Game Association. They have a 25yd pistol range and a 100 yd rifle range, both with covered firing lines. You have to join ($45 per year IIRC), and there's a no rapid fire rule (one shot every 3 seconds, except during certain types of matches). It's a great place to zero a rifle and punch holes in paper, has a very nice club house, and many other activities (field archery, skeet/trap, indoor airgun matches in winter).  Very family oriented.

Also, as previously mentioned, Freedom Armory just opened their awesome brand new indoor range in Glen Rock. It isn't exactly cheap, but it's an indoor range with facilities for everything from pistols to subguns to rifles and machine guns. The rifle/MG range is rated to handle up to .50 BMG full auto (indoors!).  Definately first rate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I always carry a pistol at the range and never leave my rifle at the table when I check targets, I just sling it on my shoulder.

Me too, except for the one at French Creek which is usually at least half full.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top