Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:58:04 PM EDT
What kind of grease do I need when changing out a barrel??

I heard that there's some type you shouldn't use.  It has silver or copper compound in it that will cause a reaction with the aluminum threads on the receiver or something like that.

What do I need and where can I find it???

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am currently using "Versa Chem" brand Anti-Seize thread lubrican, Type 13, that I got from the local auto parts store... no problems in the past two years or so with it.

Don't ask me what "Type 13" means because I don't know... but it says "Type 13" on the tube so I guess it must mean something.

I have used NO GREASE and never noticed a difference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If think it's called molybedum greese and I know that I spelled it wrong.  I think you can find it in the build it yourself section.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Molybdenum.

I can spell it but I can't say it.  Moly Disulfide or MoS2.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  Molybdenum disulfide grease.  DO NOT use a moly grease with graphite in it-you need an antisieze compound that handles high temperatures, NOT a real lubricant as such.  Some people use moly grease from the auto parts stores, but since it takes such a small amount, I like the idea of using "the right stuff."  Refer to the manual-it's found under the Information button at the top of the page.  You want FM 23-9.  Check here to start...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil. Cheap, plentifull, easy to find, a recommendation, and just simply works!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The gray moly stuff that Brownells sells.

That is the same stuff the factory uses.

Do not use anything else.  Do not think about buying or using something else.  Just buy the gray stuff and quit thinking about it so we don't have to go through this every week.

People make this way too complicated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn't motor oil work? Bushm,aster used/uses it, so wouldn't it be ok?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top