Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:12:12 PM EDT
I have an ARMS 40 on my M4gry and was wondering if I should store the rifle with it up or down?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep it down so it doesn't catch on anything and break while transporting the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
whatever works, as long as it's zeroed...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Down.

I don't think it matters one way or the other really, but I store mine down to keep it from getting banged around in the vehicle, bag, trunk etc...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
most will be in the down position since they are under main optics. They spend almost their entire life down thats is why they are "backup"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Mine stays folded under my TA11.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I store down... less chance of them getting dinged off.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it's staying down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
KAC 300 m BUIS down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
i store mine mounted on the rifle
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]
STOW IN THE DOWN POSITION!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i store mine mounted on the rifle

... and DOWN.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
There is perhaps one time when you should think about storing it up. Home defense. I don't have personal experience with it, but I have read several times that turning on an electronic optic makes noise. If you leave the backup sights up, you can simply flip the front cover off (having left the rear cover open), and use the backup sights. Of course, you can turn on the sight, if you think it won't be heard.

This may be obviated by the noise your gun makes when you chamber a round.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Down with the clown.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is perhaps one time when you should think about storing it up. Home defense. I don't have personal experience with it, but I have read several times that turning on an electronic optic makes noise. If you leave the backup sights up, you can simply flip the front cover off (having left the rear cover open), and use the backup sights. Of course, you can turn on the sight, if you think it won't be heard.

This may be obviated by the noise your gun makes when you chamber a round.hock.gif

I guess a good blade would be your best option if you are worried about being silent but deadly.  Of course that would mean you might have to invest in a ninja suit and learn how to leap from the rafters.  I saw it done on T.V. once, so it's got to work.

I'm kidding with you of course, but I know I make more noise walking on a squeaky floor than my Aimpoint does making that "click" sound.

Oh, back on the subject.  Is the question about weather keeping the spring under tention on the ARMS #40 by keeping it down (loaded) over an extended period of time?  I don't have the answer, but I have not noticed deterioration on my unit and I have kept it down while not in use as a back up sight for two years now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I seriously woudl not worry about that.  Turning on an EOTech is completely silent, and the very slight click of some red-dot sights (don't have an Aimpoint) cannot really be heard more than a few feet away.  For a self-defense application, you or the intruder are likely to be making much more noise than that anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Down
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Mark me as odd man out, I guess.  I store mine in a drawer.  That way it will not be rusty, crusty, dusty or broke when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mark me as odd man out, I guess.  I store mine in a drawer.  That way it will not be rusty, crusty, dusty or broke when the SHTF.

that a wonderful place for it,

i store mine down
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously woudl not worry about that.  Turning on an EOTech is completely silent, and the very slight click of some red-dot sights (don't have an Aimpoint) cannot really be heard more than a few feet away.  For a self-defense application, you or the intruder are likely to be making much more noise than that anyway.

No shit....  Some people over think this too much.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not if it's chambered and safed !

PLUS, for HD, target identification is paramount.  I think they'll see the beam from my pentagon, before they'd hear me turning on my optic.

ps-just waiting for the "rack of my shotgun makes them run" guys to show up here
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Personal preference. I like them down, some guys like them up. Can you shoot effectively with a fully cowitnessed system? Some guys can't, so its not a stupid question. They try to line up the dot and the iron sights together.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top