Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 9:55:33 AM EDT
My adjustment wheel on the rear says 0-20 in increments of 5 instead of 6/3 or 8/3. It bottoms out at 0. Is it ok to just set it at 10 and then zero at 50 yards so I have some leeway to move it up or down for distance? Then just click up for 25 yards using the wheel on the rear?

This is it bottomed out at 0.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4827.JPGrl

This is just so you can see the distance between. 5 clicks apart I believe.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4829.JPG

This is the 10 I was inquiring about.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4830.JPG
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
22 views and not one person can comment on this?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the other 22 guys, but I ain't never seen a elevation wheel with markings like those on any A1, A2 or detachable carry handle A2 sight I've seen.

Your on your own IMO.

Just zero the dang thing at 50 yards, (as I'm guessing at the barrel length and fodder your rifle); ya should be about 1-1.5" high at 100 yards, dead on at 200 and about 2-3" low at 300, which is the primary reason for the IBZ zeroing to begin with.....

Mike
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My adjustment wheel on the rear says 0-20 in increments of 5 instead of 6/3 or 8/3. It bottoms out at 0. Is it ok to just set it at 10 and then zero at 50 yards so I have some leeway to move it up or down for distance? Then just click up for 25 yards using the wheel on the rear?

This is it bottomed out at 0.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4827.JPGrl

This is just so you can see the distance between. 5 clicks apart I believe.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4829.JPG

This is the 10 I was inquiring about.
dubisteinspundloch.com/handle/DSCF4830.JPG

I hope you did not pay more than $40 USD for that, because you have a Leapers Detachable Carry Handle. Also, you will be shooting high unless you have a F FSB or a taller front post for use with Colt/Mil-spec DCHs, because Leapers copied the Colt DCH.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
because you have a Leapers Detachable Carry Handle. Also, you will be shooting high unless you have a F FSB or a taller front post for use with Colt/Mil-spec DCHs, because Leapers copied the Colt DCH.

That explains it...., a CCC DCH, thanks for info metro, I learn something ever day around here.

Mike

ps - CCC=cheapchinesecrap
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just set it to 0 (Zero) and zero the thing at 50y.

Click up when you want to shoot at 25y (it should be about 10 click up or so).
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same type of DCH on my 24" AR-15 and swapped out the index wheel with an actual DCH index wheel (Bushmaster), IIRC you want to do the -4 click to bottom it out. Unfortunately w/o the right index wheel, you cannot use the IBZ to its full extent...

FWIW, the leapers DCH I have isn't that bad. It's held zero just fine, but the small aperture is a tad large.

I hope this helps!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright guys thanks.  I'll just bottom it out and zero at 50.

I paid $55 shipped from The Tic.  I plan on mounting an aimpoint on top eventually so I'm not worried much about it.

Just as long as it holds zero.  I wasn't expecting much for $55
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a "match" elevation wheel.  You can count up the clicks for more precise zeros at different ranges.  You will have to know if the rear sight wheel is graduated in 1 min, .5 min, or .25 min (min=MOA) clicks.  Zero at 100 with 5-10 clicks above bottoming out.  This will allow you some room to lower bullet impact if the need should arise (ammo, range, temp., etc.).  Record setting.  Repeat at 200 yds and so on, again recording your zeros.  You can easily adjust from one range to another by counting the clicks up or down.  You can also easily adjust bullet impact.  For instance, I have .25 MOA rear sights.  The bullets are impacting 1.5 inches low at 200 yds.  3 clicks up will raise POI 1.5 inches.  

The quality of said "match" elevation wheel depends on the mfr.  If it has good, repeatable clicks without mushiness you will be OK.

If this sounds crazy, do the IBZO at 50yds using the rear sight to adjust elevation.

Every one of my rear sights have this style of elevation wheel as does any AR15 Service Rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top