Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:55:48 AM EDT
Hello,

I want to convert a M16A1 back to semi auto.

I cut the thing on the M16 hammer so that it is the same as a AR15 futher I cut the top of the sear off.

If I replace the trigger system and the fire selector for standard AR15 parts will they fit? Also are you unable to put it on the auto mode if you have put AR15 parts in it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You can modify the parts themselves or drop in AR trigger parts.   I'd advise you to keep the bolt carrier, don't spring for the AR carrier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]

An M16A1 has a setting for semi-auto.

Why you are cutting FCG parts is a little beyond me.  Buy the $65 Colt kit that includes the trigger, disconnector, hammer, springs, etc.

Push out the pins on the M16 FCG and set them aside.

Install the semi-auto FCG.  Leave the auto-sear out of the rifle.

Voila...semi-auto.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello,

If I replace the trigger system and the fire selector for standard AR15 parts will they fit?

YES

Also are you unable to put it on the auto mode if you have put AR15 parts in it?

YES with a semi selector in it it will not flip to "happy" mode.

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
With AR-15 fire control group in place it is not possible to shoot full auto and AR-15 FCG fits just fine on your M16 lower, assuming these have standard size (.154" / 3.91 mm) hammer and trigger pins. Colt semi auto pin size is .169"

Just out of curiosity, doesn´t Netherlands have "once a machinegun, always machinegun law"?

MN

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why you are cutting FCG parts is a little beyond me.  Buy the $65 Colt kit that includes the trigger, disconnector, hammer, springs, etc.

Voila...semi-auto.

My guess is it's not a legal full auto and he wants it to be legal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With AR-15 fire control group in place it is not possible to shoot full auto and AR-15 FCG fits just fine on your M16 lower, assuming these have standard size (.154" / 3.91 mm) hammer and trigger pins. Colt semi auto pin size is .169"

Just out of curiosity, doesn´t Netherlands have "once a machinegun, always machinegun law"?

MN

No, we can own weapon that are converted back to semi automatic for example M14's, G3's and SIG's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Voila...semi-auto.

My guess is it's not a legal full auto and he wants it to be legal.

Yes it  must be build back to semi-automatic if I want to own it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
glofetoe he is not from the good'ol USofA
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
In fuctional terms I think you would be best served by removing the auto sear assembly, and replacing the selector with a semi-only safety.  Functionally there is really no need to modify any other parts.  The firearm could be changed back to select fire by replacing those components.

Legality is a whole different issue.  I have no idea what the law would be in your area regarding what is an automatic weapon versus a semi automatic one.  For example what you are describing is not possible in the USA according to the government regulatory agency here.  If they allow a permanent conversion to semi auto only in your country, at a minimum you will probably have to weld up the hole for the auto sear pin in the lower receiver and cut the "tail" off the disconnector, in addition to using the semi auto only safety.

ETA:  In the USA, all the lower receiver parts are modified from their full auto configuration to prevent full auto operation.  The hammer has the sear notch removed, the disconnector has it's "tail" removed to prevent contact with a FA selector, the trigger is closed at the back to prevent the installation of a full auto disconnector, and the safety is milled so as to not operate the full auto parts.  The lower receiver has no hole for the auto sear pin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

MN

The "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" policy is pretty unique to the BATF and USA.  In Canada, we were allowed to import and buy converted autos for 15 years after MGs were frozen.  They are now prohibited as well, but still treated as a different beast than a full-auto.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MN

The "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" policy is pretty unique to the BATF and USA.  In Canada, we were allowed to import and buy converted autos for 15 years after MGs were frozen.  They are now prohibited as well, but still treated as a different beast than a full-auto.

We have alot of laws here that are pretty unique, it's interesting to see what they care about in other countries.

Like Silencers are easier to get in most of europe then here. Some countries the barrel is the "registered serialized" part and not the reciever ,  Full-Autos are eisier to get in alot of places.

But in the USA (at least some states) you cannot beat the ease at wich you can buy a handgun and be able to carry it with you.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#13]
tag for the firestorm
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
tag for the firestorm

why would there be a firestorm?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
What auto sear pin holes in the lower?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top