Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:00:40 PM EDT
A friend told me that Colt announced at the shot show that they will be going out of business.  

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I never heard anything about it. I would have to doubt it considering their reputation and how long they've been around but you never know.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Boy, I sure hope not, that would be the end of an American icon. The government seems to send all it's money to Herstal these days, so maybe.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That he said.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe he meant that the parent company was bought by General Dynamics, or some such story I hear recently.  Or he heard that Colt bought Diemaco, and go the story mixed up or something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
All Colt guns went up 6000% in value.

There is no truth in this. Seems to be the same story that goes around every 6 months with a few changes. Usually by someone trying to sell Either a Colt and wants $$$ or has something else besides a Colt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
so lets just say colt goes out of business...for one i'm screwed being i own a colt....although it is completely stock from factory and i could swing some big money off it down the road....but seriously can you imagine the shit hole our soldiers and marines would be in??? they would be stupid to go out of business......although the other rifle companies would be killing each other lookin for contracts with the government...................i say NO WAY IS COLT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If they did then someone would just buy the company, or at least the name. But I think Colt was split into two separate companies, one to handle military and law enforcement contracts and one to handle civilian sales.

There’s no way the military/police branch is hurting for business, not these days.

The commercial branch might be. All they make are 1911 pistols, AR-15s, and single action revolvers. Think about that for a bit…

How many companies make 1911 pistols right now? How many companies make AR-15s? And, how many companies make single action revolvers? I can’t even begin to count the number of companies that directly compete with Colt.

And Colt might be able to claim that they have the highest quality, but they charge far too much for whatever little bit of quality they bring to the table. At the same time they are very unresponsive to the desires of the marketplace. Look at the AR-15 options available from Bushmaster or CMMG (Just to name two, I could name many more.) and then look at what Colt offers in the way of options.

It’s the same thing with the 1911. You have more options with other companies.

The Colt Single Actions should be a big seller for them, and maybe they are. But single actions are essentially toys for people to play with, not serious working guns. Now that’s just fine, shooting single actions is a lot of fun. But people aren’t as likely to shell out the big bucks for a toy, not when they can get a Ruger for half the cost. (last I checked.)

Colt doesn’t make their excellent line of double action revolvers anymore. That’s their one traditional product line that they don’t have direct competition in. Sure other people make revolvers but no one copies the Colt designs like they do with everything else Colt makes.

And Colt isn’t even trying to innovate. Go to their website and look at what Taurus of Brazil offers. Over the last 10 or so years they have actually tried new things. Maybe everything they’ve tried hasn’t been a success, but they are innovating. Colt, on the other hand, is just flat stagnant.

Sorry, but this is turning into a rant about how established American companies are completely incapable of competing in the marketplace.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

They saw the SIG 556 , and Gave up..................................
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#10]
They saw the SIG 556 , and Gave threw up
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A friend told me that Colt announced at the shot show that they will be going out of business.  

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo

It's BS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 on BS

A company like Colt has value in its name alone, not even mentioning their designes.  They wouldn't go out of business, they would sell.  They could sell their name, customer list, and CAD drawings for millions without giving more than just a few dozen CDs for the sale and signing over right.

Someone will always pick up the Tradename and keep it going.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo

Completely true!

By the way, you just earned the coveted 5 troll award!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#15]
This may seem harsh but, Colt has all but quit on the public so what's the difference?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
so lets just say colt goes out of business...for one i'm screwed being i own a colt....although it is completely stock from factory and i could swing some big money off it down the road....but seriously can you imagine the shit hole our soldiers and marines would be in??? they would be stupid to go out of business......although the other rifle companies would be killing each other lookin for contracts with the government...................i say NO WAY IS COLT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

Absoluetly none.  The only weapon that Colt still makes for the military is the M4 carbine.  The M16, M249, and M240 are all made by FN, the M9 is Beretta, and I don't remember who makes the M203, but it's not Colt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This may seem harsh but, Colt has all but quit on the public so what's the difference?

+1

No Koolaid for me, thank you.  I buy from companies who sell, without restaints, to citizens.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo

COLT'S NOT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS . THEY ARE GOING TO RELEASE THERE NEW PUSH ROD AR-15 M-16   GAS SYSTEM  PEOPLE WILL BE STANDING IN LINE FOR THESE GUNS WHEN AVAIL.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
All Colt guns went up 6000% in value.

There is no truth in this. Seems to be the same story that goes around every 6 months with a few changes. Usually by someone trying to sell Either a Colt and wants $$$ or has something else besides a Colt.

They are finally selling for what they are worth then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No Koolaid for me, thank you.  I buy from companies who sell, without restaints, to citizens.

Yep. All those 6920's, 6721's, 6450's, and 6520's in the equipment exchange aren't actually Colt's. Don't call Knesek or Police Guns as Colt sure won't let them sell to the public.

Hmm. The MT line seems to have been dropped and Colt is making more LEO models than ever. Is Colt really as stupid as some seem to think?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I just called COLT.  No Answer.  Automated message confirms they are no longer in Operation!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just called COLT.  No Answer.  Automated message confirms they are no longer in Operation! hr

oh
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just called COLT.  No Answer.  Automated message confirms they are no longer in Operation!

I did too, and they told me to tell you they want their $.87 back ASAP!!!

you must have been calling the Colt Lounge or Colt .45 malt liquor company
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Truth or misinformation?

Thanks,
Fargo

Yes, Tentative shutdown is 2143 A.D.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yep. All those 6920's, 6721's, 6450's, and 6520's in the equipment exchange aren't actually Colt's. Don't call Knesek or Police Guns as Colt sure won't let them sell to the public.

Hmm. The MT line seems to have been dropped and Colt is making more LEO models than ever. Is Colt really as stupid as some seem to think?

especially considering colt has flat out said that since the death fo the AW ban it is no longer a colt policy to not sell certain things to civilians, it's a dealer thing.... There's even a colt letter thread posted someplace around here about that topic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#26]
A colt rep just showed up at the door said they are infact going out of business..... But for Tree Fiddy they'll stick around as long as they can..

well it was about this time I realized that the colt rep was actually about a 30ft tall dinosaur.... So I told him GO AWAY YOU DAMN LOCH NESS MONSTER!!!!!!!!!! Leave me alone and leave my family alone. We ain't givin you no damn tree fiddy
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

LEO means Law Enforcement ONLY....NOT citizens!

Just because one can buy a LEO firearms does not mean that Colt intended for that firearm to wind up in a CITIZEN'S hands.

I say screw ANY company who does not believe that their legal firearms should not be sold to citizens.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because one can buy a LEO firearms does not mean that Colt intended for that firearm to wind up in a CITIZEN'S hands.

I say screw ANY company who does not believe that their legal firearms should not be sold to citizens.

The only reason they say LEO is because of the ban. Were there never an AWB, we would probably never have even seen any firearms marked LEO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Colt knows that their LE models are being sold to the public... their owners put limitations on their sales, and they do their best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
+1 on BS

A company like Colt has value in its name alone, not even mentioning their designes.  They wouldn't go out of business, they would sell.  They could sell their name, customer list, and CAD drawings for millions without giving more than just a few dozen CDs for the sale and signing over right.

Someone will always pick up the Tradename and keep it going.  

I agree in that the "value" of COLT, in monetary terms, is it's name right now.   It's certainly not an innovative company which is problematic given the dynamics in the industry right now.  They assemble rifles with components made by many of the same companies which sell ARs.  With military contracts drying up, and being a bit behind in terms of where the US military seems to be headed with it's next rifle, Colt has become like Nike.  It provides specs, designs and a branding.  The only difference is, Colt may actually assemble its own product whereas Nike doesn't even do that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More for me!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO KIDDING!!!  Handled it at Shot.  Very, very disappointing
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Just wondering...

Would any of you consider putting money in Colt stock right now?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
If Colt loses its M16 / M4 contracts with the US Gov't wouldn't they have to go out of business?  What else do they sell?  A few 1911's?  Do they have any other major source of revenue (foreign sales maybe)?  They don't seem like a particularly diversified company.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

LEO's are not citizens?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Colt better get off their asses and make a sweet fucking JCP entry pistol.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
LEO's are not citizens?

They are citizens, who are sworn officers of a governmental agency, and as such, allowed privileges, by the government, not allowed to subject citizens.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Found this on the Colt Defense website

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/ofro74.jpg

Why would anyone go to the shot show to say they were going out of business?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
DR_ = CRAZY!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10000000000000000000000.3
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#43]
So they are going to release a Rod operated AR? So does this mean that you can finally AK47erise your jammomatic???
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
DR_ = CRAZY!

As always!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
So they are going to release a Rod operated AR? So does this mean that you can finally AK47erise your jammomatic???

Down, Kalashnikov troll! Down I say!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
hr

Still sore after that whole fall of the Soviet Union thing?

Dan
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So does this mean that you can finally AK47erise your jammomatic???

I would rather shit in my hands and rub it in my hair
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#48]
There's 2 Colts correct?

Defense and Manufacturing

GD bought Colt Defense and I thought a big announcement was forthcoming on Colt Manufacturing?!?!

Doesn't Colt Defense make the LE 6920s, 6721s etc
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

GD bought Colt Defense and I thought a big announcement was forthcoming on Colt Manufacturing?!?!

This is yet another internet rumor that has A) Never been confirmed and B) Has been denied by Colt and GD representatives.

If you are going to perpetuate this rumor please at least bring some new evidence. (Or hell, any evidence for that matter, even old evidence, since I have not seen ANY at all.)

Hint: Saying "I read it in a thread somewhere on a forum somewhere" does NOT constitute evidence.

it's amazing what passes for fact on the internet. Just about anything apparently.
Not griping at you, just unsubstantiated rumors that get passed on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/ofro74.jpg

hOORAY FOR PHOTOSHOP!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top