Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:39 PM EDT
I will be buying one of these this week or next.  Which one would you get and why?

Colt MT6700C Match Target Competition H-Bar
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/MTCompHBAR.asp

Bushmaster  DCM Competition Rifle PCWA2S 20DCM8
http://bushmasterfirearms.com/shopping/dcm/pcwa2s20dcm8.asp

I'm leaning toward the Colt.  I have shot one and loved it, very accurate, which is what I'm after.

This is my first post, so sorry for anything that might be wrong or out of place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've got money to blow, get the Colt.  If you're like the rest of us, who dont' have money to blow, get the Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You could generate less heat by posting a religious cartoon than asking that question here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Bushmaster so the hoards of Colt-haters don't maul you to death with their Pony hate.

[serously, if you have $150-$200 more, get the Colt - it's better)

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Save an argument and get both.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are you buying neutered rifles?  Does NC have some kind of AWB I don't know about?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both.      

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
A Colt HBAR then a Bushmaster M-4gery.  Then a Bushmaster Match then a Colt M-4.  Then an RRA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You could generate less heat by posting a religious cartoon than asking that question here.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why are you buying neutered rifles?  Does NC have some kind of AWB I don't know about?

+!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Bushy DCM and it was a great rifle. EXREMELY accurate. The only mediocre thing about it is the trigger. With that being said look at the RRA National Match. Better than the Bushy and Colt and cheaper. They win matches right out of the box. Or for a little more but still less than the other two you can get  White Oak Armament to tune the RRA National Match trigger and it's even better yet. Plus the RRA isn't neutered

www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1285X&storeid=1&image=06nma24.gif&CFID=9831386&CFTOKEN=72593549
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you guys mean by neutered?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Functionally, the two rifles are identical.

However, the Colt manufactured rifles do go through slightly more quality control on a few components - such as MP testing every barrel and bolt, whereas Bushmaster tests on a more random basis.  I've never heard of any problems with Bushmaster's barrels or bolts, but some people really like the peice of mind.  There are other small subtle differences too, but for all practical puposes, most people would consider the rifles functionally identical

Personally, I don't see the point in paying more for a sexy brand name, but I do understand that people do (or for the piece of mind).  At the SAME PRICE, I would pick the Colt every time.  But if the price difference is more than $50 I'd take the Bushmaster
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They probably mean that it doesn’t have a flash hider or a bayonet lug. And that might all be stuff you don’t want on a rifle. It just depends on what you are using it for.

These are match rifles he’s looking at, not zombie killing rifles.

I have no idea which is best for your purposes. It looks like the Bushmaster comes with a lot of extras that you might, or might not, want and I don’t know if the Colt has any of that stuff or not. I don’t see anything about the Colt barrel being free floating for example.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Take off your pants and spread your legs while I go get the clippers.... Okay do you get the point now?

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good one LeeF...

If I had the cash to spend, without a doubt I would buy the COLT... If I was on a budget, the Bushmaster... If I was deaf, dumb and blind, a RRA...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The 6700c has a compensator, but I don't know if it has a bayonet lug or not.  How many of you would actually use that?  I want a gun, not a knife.  I mainly want it for target shooting and killing varmints, plus I want good resale value.

Quoted:

Quoted:

They probably mean that it doesn’t have a flash hider or a bayonet lug. And that might all be stuff you don’t want on a rifle. It just depends on what you are using it for.

I have no idea which is best for your purposes. It looks like the Bushmaster comes with a lot of extras that you might, or might not, want and I don’t know if the Colt has any of that stuff or not. I don’t see anything about the Colt barrel being free floating for example.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had a Bushy DCM and it was a great rifle. EXREMELY accurate. The only mediocre thing about it is the trigger. With that being said look at the RRA National Match. Better than the Bushy and Colt and cheaper. They win matches right out of the box. Or for a little more but still less than the other two you can get  White Oak Armament to tune the RRA National Match trigger and it's even better yet. Plus the RRA isn't neutered

www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1285X&storeid=1&image=06nma24.gif&CFID=9831386&CFTOKEN=72593549

What he said....  But seriously...

First, welcome to the site.  Good choices on both, if you are wanting a competitive rifle.  That being said, the RRA is a better out of the box than either, AND cheaper.  Just make sure that the rifle suits it's task.  That is, that you're really looking for a competition rifle.

You should check out the Equipment Exchange here on this board.  Just click on the far right tab that you see at the top of the page.  You'll get a MUCH better deal than retail.  Example:
Legal-Transfers
This happens to be a different model than the one you've spec'd out here, but check out his web-site.  Pretty good prices.  There are many other RRA dealers that advertise in the EE.  Do yourself a favor and save money while building a relationship with a vendor that supports this site.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, I do agree about the trigger.  I don't want a staged trigger.  That's one of the things about the Bushmaster I don't like.  The RRA seems to cost about the same from what I've seen on Google.  I'm seeing right at around $1000.00?  Info is not nearly as easy to find for these as the Colt or Bushmaster.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a Bushy DCM and it was a great rifle. EXREMELY accurate. The only mediocre thing about it is the trigger. With that being said look at the RRA National Match. Better than the Bushy and Colt and cheaper. They win matches right out of the box. Or for a little more but still less than the other two you can get  White Oak Armament to tune the RRA National Match trigger and it's even better yet. Plus the RRA isn't neutered href=www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1285X&storeid=1&image=06nma24.gif&CFID=9831386&CFTOKEN=72593549

What he said....

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I have asked the same question on this forum couple weeks ago and got various answers.

Me, I got a pre ban NIB from a private seller Colt HBar for $1200 plus two new origina lColt 30rd mags, maybe the price is little high but in my opinion Colt is worth the money.
I also bought Trijicon TA31 and I should have it by Saturday.
Will post pics soon.

I also have checked out Bushmaster in the store,  is just as nice but I like the little pony better. The snake looks like is ready to bite your hand.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!!!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Colt now Colt later, it costs more now and sells for more later.  I can't tell you how many cheap bushmasters I've come accross in the last few weeks.  If they had been Colt they would have been snapped up so much quicker.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The 6700c has a compensator, but I don't know if it has a bayonet lug or not.  How many of you would actually use that?  I want a gun, not a knife.  I mainly want it for target shooting and killing varmints, plus I want good resale value.

I'd shoot a gun with a compensator before even considering buying one.  Damn things are LOUD, even when doubled-up with plugs and muffs.  IMHO they're also completely unnecessary on a .223 unless you are a top-level 3 gun competitor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have asked the same question on this forum couple weeks ago and got various answers.

Me, I got a pre ban NIB from a private seller Colt HBar for $1200 plus two new origina lColt 30rd mags, maybe the price is little high but in my opinion Colt is worth the money.
I also bought Trijicon TA31 and I should have it by Saturday.
Will post pics soon.

I also have checked out Bushmaster in the store,  is just as nice but I like the little pony better. The snake looks like is ready to bite your hand.

jblmk3....  I just sent you an email about a rifle I've got just like the one that sylwesterski bought.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
HERE WE GO AGAIN , GET ME AN UMBRELLA!!!

<-------THOSE GUYS ARE COMMING

<------------------SO IM GOING TO START DOING THIS

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#26]
i'd get the snake to save some $$$s and get a cooler logo

but colt is good too...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I love this fucking forum and all AR-15 lovers on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Get both.

And while your at it buy an Armalite too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Colt
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As you can tell by his subsequent replies, he doesn't really know what he wants.

jblmk, I would suggest hanging around the forum and reading some more before you make your decision.  I think if you buy either of the rifles you posted links to you're going to wind up wanting something different later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Welcome jblmk!

You came to the right place for everything AR15, alright.
I'd recommend the Colt product - but not the one you listed. You can get a much more valuable model and in the long run likely be more satisfaction

Look at the LE series (This dealer has them - and the Bushmaster for that matter)

best bet is to read around this site for a few hours and look at what long time AR15 enthusiasts are doing and why. You can learn  more here about the rifle and its endless configurations and makes, than 1,000 days of gunstore and Google searches  

and since this is the most abused topic of all time on the boards...I will accommodate chakarji with this.....

Quoted:
HERE WE GO AGAIN , GET ME AN UMBRELLA!!!

<-------THOSE GUYS ARE COMMING

or this....

enjoy your new AR15, whatever model/make you choose!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#33]
To get an idea on what the difference in cost is I looked at guns america web site. They have a 6700C Colt for 1075 and a Bushmaster like you are looking at for 1244, or 1099(two different dealers). Why does everyone think that Colts are that much more money?? I bought a Colt a couple of years ago and paid way less than what I have seen the same guns listed for on numerous web sites. Find a dealer who won't put it to you. Then buy what you want. I wanted a Colt and found a couple of dealer who were fair priced and bought one. Now looking for a Bushmaster Varminter and there is 150 bucks difference between three local dealers. Do some checking around. Sometimes a small dealer who orders all his stuff in is better than a dealer with large overhead but a pile of guns
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Welcome aboard jblmk, your best bet is to just read all the posts you can about the different brand and then weed through the bullshit and make your own mind up because if you let the folks here lead you to what to buy you will probably end up with what you were NOT looking for. I understand you want a target rifle, if you want to shoot CMP then the bigger brands all make CMP compliant rifles that are nice. As for triggers I have a RRA NM two stage and love it, but you will still get 10 answers from every 10 people that reply here. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!!!

SCREAM IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS, BROTHER!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Why?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1 on the Bushmaster DCM rifle.  DCM no longer has any.  Mine drove tacks.  The trigger was lackluster.  The RRA NM rifle is an exceptional value.

With that being said, you can build your own, and save about $300-$400.  Buy a top notch barrel: Kreiger, Pacnor, Douglas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't find any information about the compensator on this gun.  Do you guys know if it's removable/changeable or not?

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd shoot a gun with a compensator before even considering buying one.  Damn things are LOUD, even when doubled-up with plugs and muffs.  IMHO they're also completely unnecessary on a .223 unless you are a top-level 3 gun competitor.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top