Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:13:43 PM EDT
I was taking my my regular grip off of my lower in order to install my MIAD and I lost the spring, didn't lose the little pin thing, but the spring is MIA.

What the hell do I do now
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it easy! Get a new one!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Get out the phone book and call some gunsmiths. If you have some in the area they should have the spring.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Try looking in the bins at lowes or homedepot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Send me an IM with your address and I will send 2...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a complete spring kit and pin set so next time it won't be a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Buy a complete spring kit and pin set so next time it won't be a big deal.

Try this:
Lost Parts kit

My wife ordered this after listening to me try to find a detent spring in the carpet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Call 911.

Or, just buy a new one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Being that this spring pushs the selector detent pin ("little pin thing") firmly into the selector switch .  I would say your weapon would not be very safe without it.  Without this tension on your selector stwitch it could easily move from SAFE to FIRE or back the other way without you know it.

I suggest that if you can not find it, you order a replacement piece ASAP.  

I feel for you.  Might be a good idea to keep some spare parts on hand for just such an event.

Good luck and be safe.

CSP
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Send me an IM with your address and I will send 2...

IM sent, thanks

Dog1 is a live saver, thanks man.

ARFcom is the greatest
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The complete firearm is now ruined.  Please send it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the first things I did was lay in a supply of spare parts to include several of the springs you mentioned.  Don't feel bad, when I swapped out the stock grip for a Hogue the same thing happened to me.

In general practice, its a good idea to have those spares that are high breakage or high potential loss items.  Never know when you're going to need one of them to keep your weapon up and running and you might not always have the time or the ability to get one quickly
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Modle1sales is good for springs, they cost about 50 cents. Get a few extras, and a saftey detent or two, maybe some hammer and trigger springs, bolt catch parts, all those little things that go flying or drop into the carpet. Just don't buy their roll pins.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody on tghat old useful tips thread said that a Bic lighter spring can be used to replace the rear takedown pin spring; could one be used to replace the spring in question as well?  I haven't looked at either one in quite some time, and I can't remember if they are similar in diameter.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That bushmaster set looks good. I basically bought the same thing by calling Bravo Company and ordering duplicates of those parts.

You can order those from Brownell's and do it for less than $10 total with shipping.

Order the parts and ask them to send it First Class...They will do it, I know, I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Somebody on tghat old useful tips thread said that a Bic lighter spring can be used to replace the rear takedown pin spring; could one be used to replace the spring in question as well?  I haven't looked at either one in quite some time, and I can't remember if they are similar in diameter.

There probably the same diameter but I think the length might be different.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought I remember seeing a thread somewhere, where someone used a spring from a regular BIC lighter to replace the safety detent spring.  You know as a temporary solution.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought I heard someone say that you can use the spring from a BIC lighter.  

But then again, maybe not.  I just thought I heard that.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It will work
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Call me crazy but I once heard that you could use the spring from a BIC lighter.

I forget where but I swear I heard that once.

Just that once though.

And I've never heard it since.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Forgive the rust, its an old lighter.  But yes the springs work.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top