Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
Re-assembling a new Oly bolt/carrier, I can't get teh firing pin retaining pin in..

It seems that it is too springy and expands before it comes to the other hole.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Re-assembling a new Oly bolt/carrier, I can't get teh firing pin retaining pin in..

Any advice?

Turn the bolt upside down and make sure it's going in the other side.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any advice?

Turn the bolt upside down and make sure it's going in the other side.

it fits in either hole..

my other fp retaining pin on a diff rifle works just fine..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Try wiggling it in a circular motion while pushing on it...

You could also put the blade of a small flat screw driver in the cotter pins slot near the head and then squeeze the end that goes into the carrier with a pair of jewellers pliers... That will close the gap and allow it to find the hole easier... You could use regular pliers too if the teeth on the jaws are covered with tape... Be careful not to chew it up with tooling marks or it will be harder yet to get back in...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try wiggling it in a circular motion while pushing on it...

You could also put the blade of a small flat screw driver in the cotter pins slot near the head and then squeeze the end that goes into the carrier with a pair of jewellers pliers... That will close the gap and allow it to find the hole easier... You could use regular pliers too if the teeth on the jaws are covered with tape... Be careful not to chew it up with tooling marks or it will be harder yet to get back in...

+1

On the Olys I have I put the pin in the first hole, push against the other where it is hanging up, then I use a Dental pic to compress the side of the pin hitting and it slides in. Why it does that with Oys? I'll guess, since I have never compared it to the other Colt, CMT, LMT, and Armalite bolts that I own, that the hole is chamfered in there on the spec' bolt carriers and not on the Olys.

That may not be the case, but it sure seems that way, and theirs are the only BCGs I have run into that does that. I have also wondered, but never tried it yet, as to whether a KNS Perma-Pin would slide in there the way the regular pin is supposed to. Have any of you guys tried that yet on OLY carriers?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, that did it!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
NP Sir, glad you got it back together.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top