BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:39:56 AM EDT
Whoo Hoo!!

I'm now the owner of an "Evil Black Rifle"

I stopped by the fun store after work yesterday and picked up my DPMS AP4 Panther Carbine, very nice.

It's nice to finally have the rifle after waiting 10 weeks for it to come it.

Of course the very first thing I did was to drive straight to the range and fire the gun wildly right out of the box, just kidding.

The first thing I did after I got it, besides going to the video store, was to bring it home and take it apart and give it a good once over and lube it down.

It's a pretty easy gun to break down, not as easy as an AK but still pretty easy.

I like the warning about the Cam Pin. "DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL THE CAM PIN. THE RIFLE CAN FIRE BUT WILL EXPLODE IF THE CAM PIN IS NOT INSTALLED." Gee thanks, that's good to know.

The rifle itself looks good, except for an itty bitty scratch by the front sling lug. No big deal, I didn't buy this rifle to make it a safe queen.

I was a bit disappointed with the magazines that came with it. They were a bit errrr.. scratched. The two good looking darker ones are Colt's that I picked up at the gun show, the lighter ones came with the rifle. Oh well, all the do is hold the ammo, I'm sure they do their job.

Here's some pics.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! Looks nice, now take the rest of the day off and shoot the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle!

BTW - My best magazines are the GI surplus mags that look like trash.  They have never failed me once.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Good looking M4.  Everyone has an opinion when it comes to magazines but I buy the Teflon covered ones from DSG Arms with MAGPUL GEN II Anti-tilt followers.  They are very reasonable, completely dependable, look good and hold up well.  Just my .02 cents worth.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! sweet looking KISS rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
DPMS is my favorite.............you wont be dissapointed!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quick question.

What are these Keyhole markings for?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quick question.

img150.imageshack.us/img150/9054/dpmsap4keyhole9fd.th.jpg

they denote the forger i.e. where the forging orginated.

someone will be along shortly with the company name that uses keyhole forging marks
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking rifle!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quick question.

img150.imageshack.us/img150/9054/dpmsap4keyhole9fd.th.jpg</a>

they denote the forger i.e. where the forging orginated.

someone will be along shortly with the company name that uses keyhole forging marks

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Thanks.

My thought was that it had something to do with lining up the removable handle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice rifle, I have that same forging mark on My new bushy flat top upper
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I did a bit of searching, looks to be Cerro that has the keyhole mark.

www.cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a keyhole mark on my RRA 9mm upper.  I guess cerro is making their parts now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice CAR. Lucky! I know what you mean about the scratches. If they are going to get scratched, you want to be the one scratching them.

What case is that?

All these people getting their new guns is driving me nuts. I'm building mine but have to wait to buy all the parts for a few reasons. One is the 2 week wait for citizens w/o a CCW (Waiting for that too, 8 friggen weeks in CT) to purchase firearms or lowers (Waiting for the lower to get to Denny, then to the FFL). Then I have to wait a bit because of $ reasons to get other parts. Also, Moving and buying a house has ways of cutting the spending budget on big boy toys.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What case is that?

It came with the rifle, has the name DoskoSport on it.

-----------

Man you have to wait 2 WEEKS when you buy a rifle in NH?!??!

That's nuts. Here in FL there's no wait on a long gun.  You still have to get called in but there's no wait.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the case info. I'm looking for cases that fit carbines.

I'm in CT right now. You only have to wait if you don't have a permit.

In NH you don't have a wait. Will be moving there next month.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Good going, looks like you'll be hav'n fun in the sun. Don't swet it over your mags, every dry film mag Ive seen is marked up like that, even new ones.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a keyhole mark on my RRA 9mm upper.  I guess cerro is making their parts now.

Buying someone else's forgings is VERY common.  This should not be interpreted as "they don't make their own parts"....  There are actually very few companies that actually do the forging.  Many of the manufacturers do their own MACHINING howerver.  This is the stage of the processing that determines the final "fit" as it's when the holes are drilled and surfaces milled.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice rifle
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#19]
time to make it a used rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah DPMS makes fantastic weapons. I bought the RRA carbine and it came with the tactical detachable carry handle. But I like the carry handle on yours better.

Does anyone know who does Rock Rivers forgings or do they do it themselves?

Is your DPMS chrome lined in the chamber and bore?

Why do DPMS rifles say .223 - 5.56? I thought there was a slight difference between the two. Does this mean that they have the Wylde chamber that is right between the two?

Anybody have some good plaecs I can come and shoot my AR? I go to a range but they have a 3 round limit. I live right by York, PA. In the south Central part of the state right above Maryland.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah DPMS makes fantastic weapons. I bought the RRA carbine and it came with the tactical detachable carry handle. But I like the carry handle on yours better.
Thanks

Does anyone know who does Rock Rivers forgings or do they do it themselves?
Don't Know

Is your DPMS chrome lined in the chamber and bore?
I'm not sure about the chamber but I paid an extra $30 for the chromed lined barrel.

Why do DPMS rifles say .223 - 5.56? I thought there was a slight difference between the two. Does this mean that they have the Wylde chamber that is right between the two?
The .223 and the 5.56 are they same size but the 5.56 is a hotter round. You can shoot a .223 out of a 5.56 but you shouldn't shoot a 5.56 if the rifle only says .223.

READ HERE

Anybody have some good plaecs I can come and shoot my AR? I go to a range but they have a 3 round limit. I live right by York, PA. In the south Central part of the state right above Maryland.

3 round limit? huh?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top