Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:07:10 AM EDT
When did Colt start using half circle carriers?  I have on sn 199k that has one.  It also has an A2 grip and a trapdoor buttstock. Could this be correct on a late model rifle?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When did Colt start using half circle carriers?  I have on sn 199k that has one.  It also has an A2 grip and a trapdoor buttstock. Could this be correct on a late model rifle?

around 1990/1 or so when they went from green label to blue label (sporter)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. My 1990 Blue Label has a ½ circle carrier.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When did Colt start using half circle carriers?

The same time they started putting sear blocks in the lowers...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When did Colt start using half circle carriers?

The same time they started putting sear blocks in the lowers...

Yes, I'd say it was right about the first time around when Colt went PC on us and lopped off the bayonet lug. I have a Colt Sporter HBAR that was manufactured sometime in 1990 that has the half-circle carrier but it does not have any kind of receiver block.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Black Rifle II advises that the ATF asked Colt to do this.  thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I thought it was something to do with the Kalifornia AWB, AR15 was banned by name so they made them "Sporters"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was something to do with the Kalifornia AWB, AR15 was banned by name so they made them "Sporters"

you might be right about that - not too sure.  pages 304 - 306 in BRII go into it but it reallt isn't all that clear.  it shows the transitional model and it also says the ATF wanted the firing pin head exposed because with it shrouded it could easily be used in "slam fire" FA mode.  And the ATF required that the  transitional BC  be fully milled off "half circle" so that the "bolt on" sear trip device couldn't be used.  All very interesting and about as clear as mud as Colt is shipping SA Rifles with M16 BCs in them now......
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you might be right about that - not too sure.  pages 304 - 306 in BRII go into it but it reallt isn't all that clear.  it shows the transitional model and it also says the ATF wanted the firing pin head exposed because with it shrouded it could easily be used in "slam fire" FA mode.  And the ATF required that the  transitional BC  be fully milled off "half circle" so that the "bolt on" sear trip device couldn't be used.  All very interesting and about as clear as mud as Colt is shipping SA Rifles with M16 BCs in them now......

Yeah, but the ATF didn't require anyone but Colt back then if that's the case.  Bushmaster, et al,  didn't do cut out bolt carriers,  sear blocks, etc.  Might be some stories in 1990-1991 gun magazines about this topic.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but the ATF didn't require anyone but Colt back then if that's the case.  Bushmaster, et al,  didn't do cut out bolt carriers,  sear blocks, etc.  Might be some stories in 1990-1991 gun magazines about this topic.

Ive heard two stories to why it was done, and both are mentioned here in this thread...

1) To clear the sear block that COLT installed into the lower receiver...
2) To prevent the use of a bolt on sear trip device...

Considering that COLT was the only company to do the half circle carriers, it makes me think it was originally done to clear the sear block they use in the lower...

Scott Ryan or Ekie could probably give the correct answers...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What and when is not to tough with Colt's, and it was 1990 that Colt's started using them.  In this case the why would be a guess on my part.  Don't really care why, I just get rid of them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What and when is not to tough with Colt's, and it was 1990 that Colt's started using them.  In this case the why would be a guess on my part.  Don't really care why, I just get rid of them.

Yep,

It was to prevent the use of a bolt on sear trip.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember when those blue label sporters started showing up at the gun shows, nobody wanted them, then the ban came and they were "pre ban" all of a sudden they were going for 2,000 and now nobody whants them again. Great shooters but for some reason the missing bayonet lug was like a grain of sand in my eye.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top