Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 11:46:12 PM EDT
How much silver solder paste is required/reccommended for perm phantom installation...if i wanted to could it be removed later ?   how do I know when to stop heating the thing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How much silver solder paste is required/reccommended for perm phantom installation...if i wanted to could it be removed later ?   how do I know when to stop heating the thing?

This is what I do when doing silver paste............

First I take a dremel and cut a line straight with barrel down the threads, this is for the paste.
The reason for cutting a small line out is that the paste sometimes doesnt want to let the flash hider screw on all the way.
It gets all pushed up towards the barrel and sometimes doesnt get enough inside the threads to
make it stick, also it sometimes gets stuck because the silver paste doesnt have anyplace to go.

As soon as I cut, I screw on the FH to make sure the threads are okay. Then I apply a moderate amount
of silver paste, just get a brush and coat it on pretty good, lightly though. Screw on the FH and index it correctly and heat it with a large
MAPP torch. You want to heat it to a dull to med red, I never go cherry red. Also keep in mind that using a small
MAPP torch (soldering torch) will get it hot and red but it will take a long time, 10-15 minutes heating.....resulting in a ruined finish on the FH.
You want to heat it with a larger MAPP torch fast so you dont have to sit there forever trying to get it hot.

Heat it fast, it shouldnt take no more than a minute to get it medium red and then let it air cool.

As far as getting it off, heat it to about the same temp as before maybe a little hotter. Keep the heat on it, put a flat head screwdriver through the vents and twist it off fast.

Your done.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top