Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:28:36 PM EDT
I gunkoted my stainless steel barrel and the kote keeps scratching off. starting to piss me off. And the coat is too thick and now the gas block wont fit. Must I sandblast or can I just use sand paper? Or is there a better coat to use that doesnt scatch as easy?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gonna laugh but I used Duplicolor black ceramic engine block paint on a 1911 that had zero finish and a well used A2 stripped upper..good up to 1200 degress.I sprayed the parts and baked them an hour and a half on 350...its a real hard finish..hasnt scratched yet.Bakes to a matte black finish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I did an AK with that paint. Baked it @200 for 2 hours and it looks like a deep blue job on a Browning high power! And it's very durable.I avoid gunscrubber and use #9 and CLP.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
When you blasted your barrel did you use silica bead or aluminum oxide? Did you use TCE to prep the parts? If you used silica then it won't stick, if you sprayed in a cold area it won't stick, and if you don't prep correctly it won't stick.

Try re-finishing two complete FAL rifles then finding out you prepped it wrong just to watch the paint just flake off. Use 100 grit aluminum oxide and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel isn't blasted. I spayred tru-strip degreaser on it and applied gunkote (forgot to preheat).
When I put my second coat on to cover up scratches, I degreased, preheated, applied coat, and baked and it still comes off (not easily, but scratches when something hard *accidentally* hits it sometimes)

I'm taking it to my gunsmith's ship to have it sandblasted to take off my original layer, and to ruff up the barrel. Is this a good idea?

I'm using the Brownells arosol GunKote.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Stick. Your always there when an ARFCOMER nees ya most
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If we can't help each other out, none of our knowledge is worth very much.  

I like that.

Gene
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top