Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:32:57 PM EDT
For people that compete and are well qualified in distance shooting, is there a serious gain with free floating the barrel when it comes to accuracy, or is minute of head/dead simply impossible with standard attached handguards at 500 - 600 yards

Thanks in advance, this will help me in planning my next build which will strictly be a 200 yard and beyond weapon
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely essential.

No precision rifle can be such without a free floating barrel.  Whether you use a sling or a bipod for support, a float tube will isolate the barrel from the forces and binding imposed on it by either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with a free float for accuracy. All things being equal between two rifles, except one is floated, there will be more accuracy expected from the rifle with the floated barrel.

The undesireable pressure from a tight sling -or bipod- will be dismissed when you have a floated barrel, as long as you don't float it and then attach a sling or bipod directly on the barrel, and I have seen this before.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Any idea for comparison in accuracy beteen a freefloat and non freefloat? I've been thinking about FFing my ar15 too :D
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any idea for comparison in accuracy beteen a freefloat and non freefloat? I've been thinking about FFing my ar15 too :D

The difference can be up to 2.5 MOA, but it all depends (barrel type, shooting style, ammo, etc.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Absolutely essential.

No precision rifle can be such without a free floating barrel.  Whether you use a sling or a bipod for support, a float tube will isolate the barrel from the forces and binding imposed on it by either.

Can you recommend a FF rail that will allow me to maintain the FSB, and hopefully not remove the barrel or flash hider. I dont even know if it is possible. If not I will just buy a new barrel for the build
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Absolutely essential.

Can you recommend a FF rail that will allow me to maintain the FSB, and hopefully not remove the barrel or flash hider. I dont even know if it is possible. If not I will just buy a new barrel for the build

How long is the barrel?  If it's a 20", the Daniel Defense M4Rail 12.0 will work perfectly.  It's what the Army uses in the SDM-R and it allows room for the std FSB.  My bet is that you will have to remove the FS and FSB to install any FF tube.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Troy or Samson allow fit your spec.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top