Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:20:01 AM EDT
I have an unknown gas block attached to an unknown barrel that refuses to come off.  I removed the allen set screws from the bottom, whacked several times with a rubber mallet---nothing.  There is absolutely no rust or corrosion so that's not it.  "It just needs some lube" I concluded.  I soaked it with WD 40 overnight.  Whacked it several more times again with the same rubber mallet, still nothing.  I do not want to damage the gas block so I thought it best to consult some professional help before proceeding.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe try to heat it up a little bit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Put it in the freezer overnight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Put it in the freezer overnight.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Go here:

AR Building for Idiots.

There's a post inside where it shows how to remove an FSB (for installing a Freefloat Handguard).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Why the smug prick attitude? He came here looking for help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Hostile1 for sticking up for me!  I thought of taking it somewhere but what tools would they use?  A rubber mallet? It just didn't seem like it should be this tight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry about dumbass replies, you will get them no matter what you ask. I found most of the guys here love to help, and are more than willing to walk you through your problems. Some trolls will always chime in, just ignore them. don't forget to post with what worked,  Good Luck. Treeman
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
markm - SHAME on you for being a newbie  

Along with the advice above, try whacking it lightly and repeatedly all the way around the sight.  I know it's tough to get a good lick on the sides and underside, but that's how I get off stubborn ones.  

By lightly, I don't mean "tap" it, but I just hit it like I'm playing a drum, over and over, and let the mallet bounce back each time.  I have much better luck doing it that way than hitting it hard.

Also, since it's a gas block rather than a FSB, it could be loc-tited in place.  That's not at all uncommon for people to do to a gas block with set screws.

If it's blue, it will be difficult...  if it's red, well, I can't help you there...  I still have a locking ring and barrel nut stuck tightly to an Armalite/Eagle Arms forend that I absolutely CANNOT get to come off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Im waiting for something to get hung up so I can put it in the freezer over night.  The cold air and 2 different metals is what I have been told is the key to the success of this procedure.  Again, I have not tried it but I have read it her on more than one occasion.

SC
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a similar problem. I took a small block of wood, placed behind the FSB and hit the block of wood with a med sized hammer (metal). Hit in the direction to make it slide off the barrel..  Mine popped right off.

Good luck,

Gene
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any suggestions?

LOL. Nice one
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had a similar problem. I took a small block of wood, placed behind the FSB and hit the block of wood with a med sized hammer (metal). Hit in the direction to make it slide off the barrel..  Mine popped right off.

Good luck,

Gene

I've had a stubborn FSB as well, and it required the weight of a regular mallet, not a rubber one, to loosen it.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top