Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:20:11 AM EDT
Do they have a co. website? Who makes them?

Pro's Con's  ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Prof Ordinance has been out of business for several years.

They were the original makers of the Carbon-15.  Bushmaster has purchased the company and is now producing several improved versions of their product.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah...

When you say improved versions... What were the things that needed improvements?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ah...

When you say improved versions... What were the things that needed improvements?

This is the drill that works best... with the weapon on safe, chamber clear, hold the rifle in front of you, grab the base of the magazine with your non-firing hand... now press the magazine release and lift the rifle up and off of the magazine... replace the rifle with a piece from another manufacturer, set the new rifle down and on the magazine, ensure it is locked into place... using the slingshot method, load and make ready your improved rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Great.... The perfect answer to a completely legitimate question.

Really, I am geneuinely interested in what things needed improvement. - Maybe there is a legitimate answer encircled with the dry humor from the post above, but dummy me....

Anyone else with a real answer.

And to the previous poster - thanks for the bump in my thread
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The bolt was weak and often cracked.  Later versions improved on it and supposedly fixed it.  But it was still propetary and spares may be tough to find.  Many also had feeding issues.

Bushy redesigned it so it would take more 'standard parts' and fewer propietary ones.

I've used Fight4YourRight's Carbon-15 and I can't recall a range session where it didn't have at least one feeding issue out of 100-200 rounds fired.  The thing is surpising light, and has a sharp recoil due to the small buttplate and the ultra light weight.

I'd take one if it were free, but I wouldn't spend money on one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The bolt issue interests me... As for the feeding, could that be soley responsible due to the bottom end, or ? Reason for this question, is I have commited to buy a Prof. Ord. upper for a RRA lower.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
any way to "uncommit"?

proprietary bolts

feeding issues due to "plastic" feedramps

if you can't get out of the deal then go ahead and buy it...then promptly sell it on gunbroker.com.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
arghhhh... leave it to the newbie to make that decision... Yeah, I could uncommit, but that really wouldn't be right to the guy. I'm awaiting an email back from him now, to confirm some payment details.. If doesn't toss the deal, I'll feel obligated to buy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
on the subject of the bolt being said to eb proprietery... Is the later units (the ones said to be improved by BM) still the same proprietery style, or did they re-design it?  -  All in all, if someone was set on a carbon upper, would the BM be a good unit, or is even theirs prone to failures?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...Is the later units (the ones said to be improved by BM) still the same proprietery style, or did they re-design it?  -..

IIRC Bushmaster produced units use the standard bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top