Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 3:23:02 PM EDT
Yeah it should probably go in the EE, but I'm just wondering if anyone sells them cheap.  Most places want more for shipping than the item.

It could fit in a 37 cent envelope.  Anybody have one lying around by any chance?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
can't you just use a bullet??
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
can't you just use a bullet??

Not really.  I can push the little detent down, but I can't fit my fingers or anything in there to rotate it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
try pressing a pencil eraser into the post while pushing the detent.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you got a spare firing pin?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Damn, I thought I was the only one who knew this trick
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Haha that sounds pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have you got a spare firing pin?

Negative.  I could always remove mine
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just use a nail or if you have a multi tool, the small screw driver tip, thats what I use
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If you buy the obe from Bushmaster, the big end for the rear sight wedges nicely inside the Tango Down VFG tailcap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you buy the obe from Bushmaster, the big end for the rear sight wedges nicely inside the Tango Down VFG tailcap.

I have a G27 :-/
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just use a nail or if you have a multi tool, the small screw driver tip, thats what I use

+1 on the multitool!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Ordered a DPMS one on eBay
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
a nail and a plastic qtip.
the tools get bent easily.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
ARGHHHH!!!!  No you don't need a tool!

All you need is a round.  While pushing the detant pin down with the nose of the bullet, push in the direction you want to turn it with the nose.  The detant pin will then lock under the ridge, and you can continue pushing the sight post around with the nose.  Been using AR's for well over 10 yrs now and have never needed anything other than a round to adjust the front sight post.  Buying a tool is just a waste of money and one more thing to keep track of.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
used a round for 21 years in military....if the bullet gets toasted from all the pushing and grinding in the little holes and stuff....that round gets trashed.  Have also used leather punch on SOG Tool or LEatherman but always have a spare round to change it when I would not always have those items.

That round might not be the tack driver the rest are after the point gets a little deformed or cut depending on how many clicks you need to move...but the paper wont care if it is an inch off. LOLh.gif
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]
A bullet works fine for me as well.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ARGHHHH!!!!  No you don't need a tool!

All you need is a round.  While pushing the detant pin down with the nose of the bullet, push in the direction you want to turn it with the nose.  The detant pin will then lock under the ridge, and you can continue pushing the sight post around with the nose.  Been using AR's for well over 10 yrs now and have never needed anything other than a round to adjust the front sight post.  Buying a tool is just a waste of money and one more thing to keep track of.

Around here, you better supply a warning that this method will, GASP!! Leave copper residue on the front sight base/post.  I can hear the whining and nashing of teeth already.  The post would read something like,  "Rakky ruined the finish on my FSB.  Need help ASAP!!!ELEVEN11!!ONE!!11"

This is the method I use and the copper transfer will come of with some elbow grease.  ETA:  If it really bothers a person.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]
i just figure the copper will make my front sight post show up better in low light situations...LMMFAO
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]
If it's hard to turn with just on bullet / cartridge, use two.  One on the end of the detent and one on the other end.  That's what I've been doing.  There's no way you need a tool for this.  Unless it's corroded or something.  I was going to buy one too but glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
a nail or bullet and a plastic qtip striped of the cotton and then pressed over the sight.

+1  Works great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Instead of using two rounds as "chopsticks" to push a square post around, I just spent $2 and bought a sight tool that works in both the A2 and A1 style sight posts. No problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I use a small allen wrench to depress the detent, and a bent paper clip to move the post up/down. Works really well, and exploits tools I already carry in my shooting kit anyway. Of all the AR accessories, a front sight adjustment tool has to rank among the most unnecessary.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I use a bullet, but when it gets tricky the pocket knife comes out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I use a small allen wrench to depress the detent, and a bent paper clip to move the post up/down. Works really well, and exploits tools I already carry in my shooting kit anyway. Of all the AR accessories, a front sight adjustment tool has to rank among the most unnecessary. inexpensive

Hell, I could adjust my AK front sight post with a hammer and a screwdriver. Doesn't mean it's better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Tried.  A bullet and my front sight post don't get along too well
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tried.  A bullet and my front sight post don't get along too well

Like I said, try two.  Of course I did eat with chopsticks for awhile just to learn.  But you can use both hands if you want.  It's really not that hard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top